Possible Offseason Transfers?

Reaction score
I hate to come down on particular players, but do you think Oto or any other players (Mav) will be gone after this season?

Oto is one of the most bewildering players I've ever seen. He has been billed as a "jump shooter" and we were even told that he was the best 3-point shooter on the team preseason.

• In the last 107 minutes of game time he has played (14 games dating back to January 29th), he has only made 1 jump shot (which was when he played 27min against OSU in garbage time).
  • Of any player who has attempted a serious 3-point attempt (Trevor's senior day attempt not counting), he has the lowest 3-pt percentage on the team. For perspective, Rodney shot 13% better from three than Oto did this year.

I see the coaching staff giving him a strong recommendation to go play somewhere more at his talent level.

Good idea, run off players off a team that is struggling with depth already. Oto may not be shooting well, but he played quite well against UCLA and did some good things this year. Mav was up and down also; he can hit shots and run the point, but is prone to turnovers (like our whole team...).

Don't really like the whole "let's specify specific players and say we want them gone" thing... That's not being a fan.

what was Tubby's the love affair with Otto? He should be playing for the Johnnies. He is slow on defense and the boy cannot shoot.....Tubby never recruited a PG to replace Cobbs. He got lucky that Mwbke got a 6th year. His former players who transfer, improve or become stars...R White, J Cobbs, Colt, Carter....'
I would propose that if the Johnnies wanted a few of these guys, we should release their scholarships immediately...

Good idea, run off players off a team that is struggling with depth already. Oto may not be shooting well, but he played quite well against UCLA and did some good things this year. Mav was up and down also; he can hit shots and run the point, but is prone to turnovers.

Don't really like the whole "let's specify specific players and say we want them gone" thing... That's not being a fan.

Yes, I'm sure the players are going to come home, log onto gopherhole, see that some fan thinks Oto should transfer (which he should), and decide to transfer based off that. Come'on

Yes, I'm sure the players are going to come home, log onto gopherhole, see that some fan thinks Oto should transfer (which he should), and decide to transfer based off that. Come'on

I would be shocked if they don't occasionally see/read things like this. Plus, if you're a recruit, you're telling me you don't come on to places like this just to check things out? Doesn't reflect well. It's one thing to talk about a player's flaws in their game; they all have them. But even that can go overboard really quickly... it's quite another to suggest that we would be happier if they transfer. These are 18-21 year olds.

I've criticized players play in the past, I'm sure, but I wish I hadn't and am trying to make it a point not to do it. Seeing this board this year has really opened my eyes to just how far this goes and how bad it can be. I, for one, think it's pretty embarrassing and I wish we didn't have threads like this so often.

what was Tubby's the love affair with Otto? He should be playing for the Johnnies. He is slow on defense and the boy cannot shoot.....Tubby never recruited a PG to replace Cobbs. He got lucky that Mwbke got a 6th year. His former players who transfer, improve or become stars...R White, J Cobbs, Colt, Carter....'
I would propose that if the Johnnies wanted a few of these guys, we should release their scholarships immediately...

Royce White never played a minute as a Gopher so how do you know if he improved? Maybe he would have been the exact same player with MN. I disagree with Carter. He went to a school in a much easier conference and got a lot more minutes. His stats per 40 minutes a game didn't go up much against much worse competition.

I think the main thing with Cobbs and Iverson was lack of minutes. I don't blame Tubby for Cobbs lack of minutes as we had both Nolen and Joseph at that time. I do blame Tubby for Iverson not getting enough minutes though.

Regardless of how good or bad they are, the last thing we need is transfers right now. It looks like we will end up banking at least one scholarship as is. If we have another spot or two open up, it will either mean we are really short on scholarship players next year (which could be really bad if you have an injury or two), or we would end up filling a spot or two with very late signees.

Royce White never played a minute as a Gopher so how do you know if he improved? Maybe he would have been the exact same player with MN. I disagree with Carter. He went to a school in a much easier conference and got a lot more minutes. His stats per 40 minutes a game didn't go up much against much worse competition.

I think the main thing with Cobbs and Iverson was lack of minutes. I don't blame Tubby for Cobbs lack of minutes as we had both Nolen and Joseph at that time. I do blame Tubby for Iverson not getting enough minutes though.

Regardless of how good or bad they are, the last thing we need is transfers right now. It looks like we will end up banking at least one scholarship as is. If we have another spot or two open up, it will either mean we are really short on scholarship players next year (which could be really bad if you have an injury or two), or we would end up filling a spot or two with very late signees.

Iverson was also terrible when he was here. I remember when he did get minutes, he would turn it over or miss a short shot. He didn't have any presence down low. I don't blame Tubby for not giving him minutes.

Iverson was also terrible when he was here. I remember when he did get minutes, he would turn it over or miss a short shot. He didn't have any presence down low. I don't blame Tubby for not giving him minutes.

When did Iverson not get minutes ??

I don't know, GophersInIowa was saying that Tubby wasn't giving Iverson enough minutes
Left at the expectations of no minutes due to mo and Elliot's arrival with Ralph and mbakwe on the team. Someone had to go, he was the odd man out.

I don't know, GophersInIowa was saying that Tubby wasn't giving Iverson enough minutes

Most think that one of the reasons Iverson and Cobbs transfered was because of lack of minutes. I do believe Iverson should have received more minutes than he got at times, especially considering the other guy was Sampson.

I sure hope Eliason doesn't transfer. We would be in a world of hurt if that happened. I only mention him as a possible candidate b/c he is a sophomore big man with lots of upside. Big men take longer to develop and a transfer year can be a blessing in disguise - see Iverson, Colton.

Royce never played, Carter didn't do much for UIC, Colt beat up on the Mountain West, but didn't do squat in the NCAA against BCS schools. Cobbs is a good player at Cal, but kid got home sick which I don't fault him for, wish he's stuck it out a little longer

Good idea, run off players off a team that is struggling with depth already. Oto may not be shooting well, but he played quite well against UCLA and did some good things this year. Mav was up and down also; he can hit shots and run the point, but is prone to turnovers (like our whole team...).

What did Oto do that was good this year? Other than not melting down too much against UCLA.

Most think that one of the reasons Iverson and Cobbs transfered was because of lack of minutes. I do believe Iverson should have received more minutes than he got at times, especially considering the other guy was Sampson.

I thought I read that Cobbs wanted to play out west, but I could be wrong. Iverson and Cobbs would have been great on the team though. Cobbs really would have helped out this year, but I guess Iverson would have been gone regardless

I thought I read that Cobbs wanted to play out west, but I could be wrong. Iverson and Cobbs would have been great on the team though. Cobbs really would have helped out this year, but I guess Iverson would have been gone regardless

Iverson and cobbs would have graduated last year no?

I sure hope Eliason doesn't transfer. We would be in a world of hurt if that happened. I only mention him as a possible candidate b/c he is a sophomore big man with lots of upside. Big men take longer to develop and a transfer year can be a blessing in disguise - see Iverson, Colton.
Why would he leave? He will be seeing lots of playing time over the next 2 years.

Why would he leave? He will be seeing lots of playing time over the next 2 years.

Right. I wasn't saying he would or should. Just saying that he is in the "best position" to do so and if he did, that would kill us. Other players have transferred, with less attractive options (Devoe, Colton).

If I had any thoughts on who may transfer I wouldn't post them here at this time, but I will say this: for those who have already redshirted, transferring would mean they throw away a year of competition due to the Five-Year Rule.

Thinking of the current 'sophomore' class... Mo, EE, and Oto all are in their third year of college.. only two years left to play two years. Transfer to another school and they sit for one, play for one and would be done.

If Tubby is fired, I believe players can transfer out without losing a year.

I guess it depends on who we hire...If we get someone like Shaka who wants an athletic team with a bunch of 6-6 guys, Elliot and Mo may need to transfer away...also Mav would be useless in the Shaka system...he's too slow and short and not athletic enough.

Players like Oto, Ellenson, Austin, Andre, Coleman and Ellenson would thrive in the Shaka system.

I'm not sure about Buggs or the new recruits...Are they lean and athletic and do they like to run a ton in practice?

Thinking of the current 'sophomore' class... Mo, EE, and Oto all are in their third year of college.. only two years left to play two years. Transfer to another school and they sit for one, play for one and would be done.

DOH! EE already redshirted!!

Never mind..................

If Tubby is fired, I believe players can transfer out without losing a year.

I guess it depends on who we hire...If we get someone like Shaka who wants an athletic team with a bunch of 6-6 guys, Elliot and Mo may need to transfer away...also Mav would be useless in the Shaka system...he's too slow and short and not athletic enough.

Players like Oto, Ellenson, Austin, Andre, Coleman and Ellenson would thrive in the Shaka system.

I'm not sure about Buggs or the new recruits...Are they lean and athletic and do they like to run a ton in practice?

No.

Is that only in football? I coulda sworn players have transfered without losing a year in those circumstances...or was it only when teams went on probation?

Only specific cases of probation.

If I had any thoughts on who may transfer I wouldn't post them here at this time, but I will say this: for those who have already redshirted, transferring would mean they throw away a year of competition due to the Five-Year Rule.

Bingo. The only ones to worry bout are Dre, Joe and Wally.

Dre is the main concern. That would be a crushing blow. Should only be an issue if Tubby is out.

Top Bottom