Possible New 32 Signing Limit Per Class

Well, it might impact scholarship seating. And not in a good way.

This is stupid IMO. Gives the haves more of an advantage.
It also allows to change PWO offers to scholarship offers. 7 schollies x 120 teams = 840 kids getting a chance at a college degree at least partially paid for.

As I read that article, it sounds like it is not automatic. Point of story was that teams that lose players to the transfer portal would be allowed to sign up to 32 players - IF they had lost 7 players to transfers. basically, you could "over-sign" to replace transfers.

Otherwise, if Directional State lost 6 kids to transfers, and they could only sign 25 incoming players, that would leave them 6 kids under the scholarship limit.

Imagine a situation where a coach left and a bunch of players transferred. the incoming coach would be hosed if he couldn't sign extra players.

That is how I read the story. the overall team limit would remain the same.

It also allows to change PWO offers to scholarship offers. 7 schollies x 120 teams = 840 kids getting a chance at a college degree at least partially paid for.
No, I don’t think the scholarship limit is increased. This is more likely to accommodate the higher volume of transfers out, so they can be replaced without “oversigning.”

Of course, with NIL and the apparent acceptance of blanket “endorsement” payments to all players, that’s basically an expansion of partial scholarships. Like, the 3rd string walk-on long snapper endorsing your local, well, Snapper dealer for $thousands a year.

This makes sense to me.

With the portal it is possible you have a big exodus during a coaching change or something and ... then you will NEED to bring in more people to fill the gaps.

Otherwise, if Directional State lost 6 kids to transfers, and they could only sign 25 incoming players, that would leave them 6 kids under the scholarship limit.
Isn't that already built in to the 25 limit? Even without any redshirts, signing max classes every year means you need to lose an average of 4 guys from every class to stay under 85.

Isn't that already built in to the 25 limit? Even without any redshirts, signing max classes every year means you need to lose an average of 4 guys from every class to stay under 85.
That's on top of regular attrition though.

That's on top of regular attrition though.
That was the gist of his point.

If you have a compounding 20% loss of the original 25 in a class over the following four years (talking five years of classes, including redshirts), you have:

year 1: 25
year 2: 20 remaining
year 3: 16 remaining
year 4: 13 remaining (rounded up from 12.8)
year 5: 10 remaining (rounded down from 10.24 or 10.4, either way)

Assume those hold for every class on average, and you add those up to get 84.

This accounts for all reasons that players leave, including guys who burn their redshirt and so don't make it to be a 5th year senior or exceptional players that leave early for the NFL.

I bet this held fairly true, say over 2010-2019 seasons if you looked at it and averaged over all the FBS (or just P5) teams and years.

But now the portal + the free transfer have skewed these numbers significantly. Think Dylan Wright.

There needs to be a hard roster limit at practice of 75, or 85, or 95

That’s the only way to regulate NIL

Otherwise someone’s walk ons JV team might be better than someone’s “scholarship” team.

There needs to be a hard roster limit at practice of 75, or 85, or 95

That’s the only way to regulate NIL

Otherwise someone’s walk ons JV team might be better than someone’s “scholarship” team.
It has to be more than 85 (which is the scholarship limit)

I think 100 would be a good number.

It has to be more than 85 (which is the scholarship limit)

I think 100 would be a good number.
I think there's already a roster limit of 105 for fall camp, and then once school starts that is relaxed for "traditional" walkons to join the team (ie, the Rudy type guys that are happy to just put on a practice jersey and do some scout team work).

I think there's already a roster limit of 105 for fall camp, and then once school starts that is relaxed for "traditional" walkons to join the team (ie, the Rudy type guys that are happy to just put on a practice jersey and do some scout team work).
There has to be a hard limit to prevent NLI manipulation with walk-ons.

Even more transfers then once the golden boy doesn't get QB time

Top Bottom