Possibility of Oregon State Postponement?

Breakin' The Plane

Reaction score
It's still a few days away, but apparently the air quality is so bad in Oregon right now due to wildfires that both Oregon and Oregon State are looking at alternatives:

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/minnesota-nebraska-games-could-change-hazardous-oregon-air-quality

"Oregon and Oregon State have been working closely with the relevant regional air protection agency, the Pac-12, and their own medical personnel to monitor and access the air quality situation since the fires broke out and they will continue to do so. Based upon the information provided by the air protection agency and the expert health and safety advice of the respective University medical professionals, a decision will be made on whether or not to adjust game times and/or dates with the safety of student-athletes and fans as a priority."

In Montana they did something similar last year but still played the game.

We could use a couple more days to install the offensive and defensive systems.

I understand the air quality, but with the logistics of everything I don't think it will move. When would they play? During the middle of the week? That would cause student athletes on both sides miss more school. And they run the risk of what if it doesn't get better by mid-next week? Does the game just never get played or do they play in the conditions they were trying to avoid? And then you are giving both teams less time to recover for their next games, which could cause injuries (not saying the air quality doesn't affect health).

I understand the air quality, but with the logistics of everything I don't think it will move. When would they play? During the middle of the week? That would cause student athletes on both sides miss more school. And they run the risk of what if it doesn't get better by mid-next week? Does the game just never get played or do they play in the conditions they were trying to avoid? And then you are giving both teams less time to recover for their next games, which could cause injuries (not saying the air quality doesn't affect health).

Oregon State has a bye on the 23rd of Sept. So do the Gophers. That's why I think it's not impossible to postpone the game for 2 weeks.

I don't know how I like going against MTSU with 16 days off between games.

We could be very rusty.

The plus sides are a> The O-line have an extended practice time and b> Tai'on Devers should be able to play.

Oregon State has a bye on the 23rd of Sept. So do the Gophers. That's why I think it's not impossible to postpone the game for 2 weeks.

Fair point. What about Oregon vs Nebraska? Would they consider rescheduling one and not the other?

The plus sides are a> The O-line have an extended practice time and b> Tai'on Devers should be able to play.

Downside, there will be very few gopher fans at the game, since most who are coming from out of Oregon can't change their plans.

The good news is the weather pattern starts to change tomorrow. Cooler temperatures, a change in wind direction, and a chance of rain could help things out.

Pulled this picture from the thread on r/CFB, and it was apparently taken in Eugene this morning:

f7f7e85f753a24a1b679669ac49b5229.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/in...ks_and_oregon_state_beavers_kickoff_time.html

By Andrew Grei***[email protected]
The Oregonian/OregonLive
EUGENE -- The Pac-12 is monitoring the smoky skies in the Willamette Valley and could potentially alter kickoff times -- or, in a worst-case scenario, the date -- for Saturday's home games at Oregon and Oregon State.

Though forecasts call for a chance of showers later this week, air quality in Eugene was deemed "hazardous" by the Lane Regional Air Protection Agency as of Tuesday morning due to several wildfires in the state. Oregon hosts Nebraska, and Oregon State hosts Minnesota, on Saturday.

"Oregon and Oregon State have been working closely with the relevant regional air protection agency, the Pac-12, and their own medical personnel to monitor and assess the air quality situation since the fires broke out," Andrew Walker, the Pac-12's vice president of public affairs, wrote in an email to The Oregonian/OregonLive. "Based upon the information provided by the air protection agency and the expert health and safety advice of the respective University medical professionals, a decision will be made on whether or not to adjust game times and/or dates with the safety of student-athletes and fans as a priority."

Walker added that "any decision will be based on the air quality readings before the game and the expert advice of medical professionals."

Based on the advice of UO administrators and doctors, the Ducks departed Eugene Tuesday morning for the Oregon coast, where it will practice at Siuslaw Middle School an hour west in Florence.

UO coach Willie Taggart said that air quality would have been an issue had UO tried to practice in its indoor facility, the Moshofsky Center.

"We don't want any distraction while we're practicing and the smoke is a little distraction but it also can cause some health issues, so we're going to make sure our guys are healthy and we're able to get a good practice in," Taggart said.

On the Pac-12 coaches conference call later Tuesday morning, he added that "we got a big game this week and wanted to go out and practice like we're used to practicing."

The National Weather Service forecast calls for potentially good news in the coming days, with a 30 percent chance of showers Wednesday night into Thursday morning, and another chance for showers Friday morning with temperatures dropping into the high 70s by kickoff Saturday.

Adjusting to adverse weather is nothing new for Mario Cristobal, UO's co-offensive coordinator and line coach.

Cristobal grew up in the Miami area, and later monitored hurricanes season while playing and coaching for the Hurricanes and Florida International. Storms forced practices to be relocated "a couple times," said Cristobal, who has family still in south Florida. He noted that south Florida has "another big one coming" in Hurricane Irma.

http://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/in...ks_and_oregon_state_beavers_kickoff_time.html

Rain forecast for Thursday and Friday in Corvallis. It will be fine.

Pulled this picture from the thread on r/CFB, and it was apparently taken in Eugene this morning:

f7f7e85f753a24a1b679669ac49b5229.jpg

Looks the same up in the Greater Seattle Area. As a person with Asthma, though, I haven't noticed the air quality that much. I'm not saying it won't affect people, but I think it looks worse than it is. Local news says if we get a shift in wind patterns, things should clear up.

This would suck as I have already bought game tickets, plane tickets and arranged for a dogsitter/time off from work.

Granted, I'd still just go hang in Portland.

Looks like a typical day in the inland empire region of LA. Nothing to see here. 4.5 days until game, hard to imagine won't play.

Unless the fire is at Corvallis, inversion holds the smoke to the earth, they will play.

The fire is up by the Columbia Gorge? I think I probably had a greater exposure to smoke at my summer trips to Many Point scout camp than the players will get, barring unusual circumstances.

Middle Tennessee - Humidity
Colorado State - Altitude
Oregon State - Air Quality Index Ratings

The fire is up by the Columbia Gorge? I think I probably had a greater exposure to smoke at my summer trips to Many Point scout camp than the players will get, barring unusual circumstances.

There are fires all over the state- not sure which one is having the most impact in Corvalis.

There are fires all over the state- not sure which one is having the most impact in Corvalis.

Yeah, it looks far worse than I expected. We are so used to fires here in CA I've become numb to it. It's tragic to see the Gorge go up - truly one of the must-see areas of the US. Good to see they saved Multnomah Lodge.

Unless the wind changes to the prevailing western winds there could be a risk to the game. Here Is the NASA satellite view of the smoke and fires from Sept 4:

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.go...ff&as=2017-08-19&ae=2017-08-19&av=3.5&al=true

And Sept 5:

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.go...ff&as=2017-08-19&ae=2017-08-19&av=3.5&al=true

Top Bottom