Poock has torn ACL

Curseislifted33

Reaction score
Ryan Burns ‏@RyanBurnsGI 23m
Tough break for the #Gophers. Hearing that OLB Cody Poock does indeed have a torn ACL and will have surgery once the swelling goes down.

That's 4 months to recover if he wants(can) to be ready for next season...looking like a medical RS is most likely case since he is not AD.

Who is going to take his apparent starting OLB spot? Laster, Dixon, Rallis, move Lynn to the outside for a year? Very tough break for the program as he was impressing all spring.

Does that mean the battle for the starting spot comes down to De'Niro Laster and Jack Lynn sliding outside? Or has someone else jumped out in spring ball?

Crud. That's a shot to our LB depth before fall even starts. That sucks.

Tough break, that really sucks. Medical redshirt him and he'll still have 3 years left. Meanwhile, Wilson is a lock at MLB and more than likely Campbell starts at one of the outside spots. Poock was considered the favorite for the other spot but now it's time for Lynn, Laster, Dixon, and Rallis to step up. That's a young, inexperience group but it's a great test for Sherels to get them "coached up".

Tough break, that really sucks. Medical redshirt him and he'll still have 3 years left. Meanwhile, Wilson is a lock at MLB and more than likely Campbell starts at one of the outside spots. Poock was considered the favorite for the other spot but now it's time for Lynn, Laster, Dixon, and Rallis to step up. That's a young, inexperience group but it's a great test for Sherels to get them "coached up".
Campbell has been a lock for a while. Rallis was running with the first teams for a while as well.

Disappointing news because he certainly seemed in line to be one of the starters this fall. Hopefully one of these young LB's that has yet to see any significant playing time can make that next step in their development and lock down one of the starting positions.

Welp, that stinks. Hope for a speedy and full recovery for Cody!

apt

"I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead."

Lynn was talked up a lot last spring. Maybe he'll step forward

Losing Poock is a tough blow because it looked like he was going to be pretty good. But he really didn't offer us any more experience than the players you listed. This is the 3rd year in the program for Lynn and Rallis, and the 2nd for Laster and Dixon. We should still be ok.

I think we need to keep Lynn at MLB as that is his natural position and he needs reps there now to help him out the next couple years. Campbell is a lock, but really unproven in the run game. I hadn't seen Poock play, but liked what I read about his style. I was worried about LB entering last year and was pleasantly surprised. I'm concerned again this year and hoping for the same.

- Campbell needs to play Strong side as he's the guy you want covering the TE in space. It's really the Weak side that we're trying to replace.

- Rayfield Dixon has turned some heads this Spring but he's very light & probably better suited to backing up Campbell as SLB.

- De'Niro Laster is the right body type for the WLB job & the heir apparent but the lightbulb hasn't switched on for him yet.

- Jack Lynn is being groomed for the MLB job next year so he has to get some snaps at MLB, but the staff said earlier in the year that they wouldn't hesitate to move him outside if he was the best option this year. He'll play a lot whether he starts or not.

- Nick Rallis is the forgotten man (and possibly Die Hard Gopher's blood relative? :)). He's been written off as a "tweener" due to his height, but at WLB he's mostly counted on to tackle, not to cover TE's. He started the season as the #1 before ceding to Poock & I'd expect him to be the new starter or at least play a LOT of snaps there this year.

If you are going to tear an ACL, better in spring ball than the first couple games of the year or fall practice.

He gets the full summer to recover from surgery and rehab, gets the full season for rehab, watching film and building strength and he is 100% before next years spring drills start. Provide he stays healthy going forward, not soul crushing like some ACLs are.

A little worried about LB depth now (perhaps fretting too much) but if it came down to it, is a position change possible for any of our players - one of our TEs perhaps? Any of them play LB in high school?

STrib: Gophers linebacker Cody Poock has a torn ACL

Gophers linebacker Cody Poock has a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, a person familiar with his injury said Monday.

The team was finalizing the diagnosis, with Coach Jerry Kill expected to address the injury with the media after Tuesday’s practice.

Poock suffered the injury at Saturday's practice. On Sunday, he posted on his Twitter page (@codyallenpoock), “Everything happens for a reason.”

It’s a tough blow for the Gophers, as Poock had been playing with the first-team defense, alongside linebackers Damien Wilson and De’Vondre Campbell.

Poock is expected to have surgery soon, and his ability to return this fall will depend on how he heals. Last year, Michigan linebacker Jake Ryan suffered a torn ACL injury in spring practice. He had surgery March 28 and was back playing again for the Wolverines on Oct. 12.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/253236351.html

Go Gophers!!

A little worried about LB depth now (perhaps fretting too much) but if it came down to it, is a position change possible for any of our players - one of our TEs perhaps? Any of them play LB in high school?

Jerry Gibson an incoming TE did play OLB in HS.

One of the other 13 linebackers on the squad may be able to fill in.

Is it true that ACL injuries are often related to doing too many of the same exercises over and over and causing a mismatch of muscle tissue in the leg? I remember reading about that last night. Thoughts?

I hope we can find somone who can run and has some size. Not Rallis imo. Poock beating him out as quick as he did signals a real need there.,

Last year it was Briean Boddy-Calhoun that had a season ending injury. How often does this occur? Hopefully, it has nothing to do with the existing practice turf.

Ouch, this hurts. I wish him a quick recovery. It'll be interesting to see who steps up.

Last year it was Briean Boddy-Calhoun that had a season ending injury. How often does this occur? Hopefully, it has nothing to do with the existing practice turf.

Think BBC was during a game wasn't it? Not on practice turf.

Maybe it's because I've been paying more attention but it does seem we have had some bad luck with injuries the last few years, especially at LB. Who was that guy that transferred from Florida with a lotta hype? Biel? Poor kid never could get healthy.

One of the other 13 linebackers on the squad may be able to fill in.

I'm only going off Roster stats (Gopher hole my only source of news) but a number of our listed LBs seem to be a little undersized at the moment? With the departure of Hageman just a bit concerned about our ability to stop a power running game if there less of a shove in the middle and our OLBs lacking a bit of size.

TE, presuming Maxx fully recovered, seems to have a wealth of talent and I was even wondering if it beyond the realms of possibility that one of the incoming freshman - Elmore or Gibson - makes the switch to defense? From what others have posted about Elmore's combination of size and athleticism I would love to see him get a crack as a kind of hybrid DE/OLB at some point during his time here. Willing to accept, seen as though I've never seen the kid play (not even on tape), I may be miles off the mark.

Where is Chris Wipson projected to play, or is practicing? I thought there was some debate back when he committed.

Has he dropped off the face of the earth? He had a little bit of hype from a few on this board back in 2012. Now it seems like the coaches and the gopherhole never mention his name.

Regarding injuries on field turf vs grass it seems pretty definitive that field turf is more likely to cause acl injuries to to higher traction.

Recommendations are a). Practice and play on grass when possible or b) wear low cleats or no cleats during practice and games. Obviously this will lead to a lot of slipping ans sliding.

I'm surprised there aren't more injuries considering the lower slippage field turf and the bigger, faster players these days. From my physics days k=1/2mv^2. Higher energy collisions, higher friction fields are probably going to cause more problems vs say 1965.

The existing practice turf is exactly the same as TCFBS. And the same age.

The existing practice turf is exactly the same as TCFBS. And the same age.

The indoor turf (2010) is newer than the TCF turf (2009) and the outdoor turf is even newer yet (2011) per the article. All FieldTurf. Any know the longevity of FieldTurf? The indoor turf will probably get worn down the quickest since it's used year round and by numerous programs.

Minneapolis, MN (Vocus/PRWEB) January 27, 2011

The University of Minnesota has selected FieldTurf for the outdoor practice field area at the Gophers’ Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex. This marks the third FieldTurf field on campus for the Gophers. FieldTurf was installed at TCF Bank Stadium in June of 2009, and was installed at the Gibson Nagurski Indoor Football Complex in 2010. All FieldTurf fields that are a part of the Gibson Nagurski Football Complex have replaced previous Astroplay surfaces.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/FieldTurf/Minnesota-Gophers/prweb8095828.htm

Top Bottom