POLL: Will UST have a better KenPom ranking than our Gophs at all during the 2022-23 season?

Will UST have a better KenPom ranking than our Gophs at all during the 2022-23 season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Or just recruit better players in the class of 2024 to start over them…or portal players. If their best case is “good”…let’s figure out a way to get better than good and not wait 3 years

That's true. But there is no acknowledgment whatsoever that Coach Johnson is rebuilding with recruiting...which makes the 'feedback' so pointless and irritating.

Until recruits start winning games they are just projects. The current freshman have been playing better but are they better than other teams players? That’s what it comes down to. You don’t get bonus points for being younger.

Or just recruit better players in the class of 2024 to start over them…or portal players. If their best case is “good”…let’s figure out a way to get better than good and not wait 3 years
Unless you got a ton of NIL money to throw in the pot it ain’t gonna happen here with just getting better portal guys or recruits. We will need to develop from within and sprinkle in portal guys

If Ben continues to recruit like he did in the 2023 class, we will have a good program and many good teams.

Until recruits start winning games they are just projects. The current freshman have been playing better but are they better than other teams players? That’s what it comes down to. You don’t get bonus points for being younger.
The 3 freshmen's results today translate to being good players as juniors. If we can keep adding good recruits every year...we will have a good program.

If Ben continues to recruit like he did in the 2023 class, we will have a good program and many good teams.
2024 will be big as battle & Cooper will need to be backfilled (and most likely Garcia if not gone after this year). I know he is SO…but I don’t see him playing two more years of college basketball

+ ihnen and fox

The 3 freshmen's results today translate to being good players as juniors. If we can keep adding good recruits every year...we will have a good program.

Sure. But if they have a bad game next week you won’t say “the 3 freshmen’s results today translate to being bad players as juniors.” That’s the issue. You can’t assume one good game today means they’ll all be good in 2 seasons. Just like a bad game doesn’t change anything. Development isn’t guaranteed or linear.

This is the other issue. You’re assuming all highly ranked recruits are good and stay. Neither of those is true. Plenty of things can occur.

Sure. But if they have a bad game next week you won’t say “the 3 freshmen’s results today translate to being bad players as juniors.” That’s the issue. You can’t assume one good game today means they’ll all be good in 2 seasons. Just like a bad game doesn’t change anything. Development isn’t guaranteed or linear.
Up & down play is okay for freshmen. Today was up. As long as there are a few more ups, it should be fine.

This is the other issue. You’re assuming all highly ranked recruits are good and stay. Neither of those is true. Plenty of things can occur.
Yeah I'm not guaranteeing that Ben will succeed. But I'm fine for now as long as the freshmen show promise and recruiting is good.

If things fall apart within the next 2 years, then I might say that changes need to be made.

Yeah I'm not guaranteeing that Ben will succeed. But I'm fine for now as long as the freshmen show promise and recruiting is good.

If things fall apart within the next 2 years, then I might say that changes need to be made.
I’ve said this many times in response to you, I am ok with Ben’s recruiting. I like: JOJ, Payne, Christie, Evans. I hate: no guards and his roster construction.

Outside of recruiting you have our offensive efficiency (ranked 297 - for reference UST is 84) and our defensive effort (ranked 127 - UST ranked 307). But another thing that worries me about Ben, and I credit a poster on the StarTribune, they are currently ranked #343 in point differential on the season…that is not good. We all know we played a cream puff non-conference and we still end up here…

So, I am okay with some of his recruiting, but the rest is horrendous. You continue to hoop for better players (which may happen) but nothing shows he knows how to coach.

As Haskins always said, 85 percent of people die with potential. What are the chances each of these guys end up as 15 percenters? What I've liked about Payne and Ola-Joseph is that they continue to play diligently even as the season is circling the drain. Shows character.

But we had a lead much of the season, and "kept it close."

Moral victory!!

I doubt he's sad, and I question whether this is anything more than idle speculation.

One way or another, Rohde would be crazy to transfer to the Gophers, so as hard as Pat tries to make this sound shocking...

I doubt he's sad, and I question whether this is anything more than idle speculation.

One way or another, Rohde would be crazy to transfer to the Gophers, so as hard as Pat tries to make this sound shocking...
I bet Reusse is sad. If Rohde stays at UST, it makes it more likely that UST stays better than the U.

There is nothing that makes him happier than Gopher struggles.

I teach at Texas State University. I just noticed that 'WE' (Texas St.) are ahead in the Kenpom rankings...lol! If you might remember, during the glory days, Minnesota beat Texas St. in the first round on the NCAA tournament by 30+ points (1997 if my memory serves me). This was the last time that Texas St. has been to the tournament. The fact that a bad Texas St. team, who literally no one cares about (and no one has cared about in years), is ahead of Minnesota in any sort of rankings is all you need to know about the direction of this very sad program. Johnson must be fired!

I teach at Texas State University. I just noticed that 'WE' (Texas St.) are ahead in the Kenpom rankings...lol! If you might remember, during the glory days, Minnesota beat Texas St. in the first round on the NCAA tournament by 30+ points (1997 if my memory serves me). This was the last time that Texas St. has been to the tournament. The fact that a bad Texas St. team, who literally no one cares about (and no one has cared about in years), is ahead of Minnesota in any sort of rankings is all you need to know about the direction of this very sad program. Johnson must be fired!
At Kemper Arena in Kansas City! I remember it well.

Right you are, other than that the school & team were Southwest Texas State back then.

Ahh ... the mid-90's. When UMass and Minnesota were Final Four level college basketball programs.

I don't think a single person expects him to transfer to MN. But if a kid from Milwaukee has the chance to go from UST to a B1G program close to home, he's likely doing it.

Top Bottom