Poll: Who should be QB1 vs Northwestern?

Poll: Who should be QB1 vs Northwestern?

• Tanner Morgan

Votes: 30 10.2%
  • Athan Kaliakmanis

Votes: 263 89.8%

• Total voters
its NW so who cares. start whoever needs more practice and rest whoever needs to rest up for the last two games

No reason to waste our precious game reps with TM anymore. Gophers aren’t going to be able to pad his NFL combine resume any further, I can guarantee that TM won’t even be invited to NFL combine.

Let’s get AK the experiences and start invest into our future.

Maybe thinking about Not How We Remember Murray.

No reason to waste our precious game reps with TM anymore. Gophers aren’t going to be able to pad his NFL combine resume any further, I can guarantee that TM won’t even be invited to NFL combine.

Let’s get AK the experiences and start invest into our future.
The decision has nothing to do with the future. Any long term benefit is just a bonus. The only thing that matters is winning the next three games. Kaliakmanis gives the team the best chance.

I think Tanner pulls himself, which as he transitions to coaching shows a coach intellect that he can always point to when he’s eating difficult conversations for breakfast in the future. He’s done so much for the program, and he’s by all accounts a hell of a guy. But you could see the play calling difference, which opened up the run game once AK came in. I’ll buy Morgan a beer every time I see him, but it’s time.
With most players I would say there is no chance they would pull themselves. However Morgan is one that I could see doing it.

Will be interesting to see what the injury is and what it means for the remainder of the season. He wasn't on the sideline during the second half.

The decision has nothing to do with the future. Any long term benefit is just a bonus. The only thing that matters is winning the next three games. Kaliakmanis gives the team the best chance.

Ding, ding, ding! Win the next three.

Still a chance to win the West. Still a (good) chance to finish 10-3.

I trust the Coach to decide which QB is best. You can go with the wisdom of Keyboard coordinators if you like.

Exactly

Ding, ding, ding! Win the next three.

Still a chance to win the West. Still a (good) chance to finish 10-3.

I trust the Coach to decide which QB is best. You can go with the wisdom of Keyboard coordinators if you like.
Ultimately the coaches will do what they think is best, no matter what any of us thinks or says.

With that said, it is going to be very tough to ignore what we all saw on that field today. The offense under Morgan in the first half was dead in the water. Under Athan in the second half Nebraska couldn't really stop us. If MBS catches the 3rd down pass that hit him dead center in the chest that drive very well ends in 7 as opposed to 3.

Tanner's the most successful Gopher QB ever by many measures. He's played some of the greatest QB games in Gopher history. He's given a lot to the program. I've stood up for him more than most on here. But it's hard to have watched today's game and not think Athan needs to start next week.

Plus, if Morgan has had two concussions in a month that's a safety risk nobody needs to take.

Curious to see how Ryan Burns tries to explain away the difference between the 1st and 2nd half without talking about qb play.

Curious to see how Ryan Burns tries to explain away the difference between the 1st and 2nd half without talking about qb play.
Play calling was way different IMO

But then again, I also think the fact that you call a better game with the skill set of the QB tells you what you have to do

Biggest issue with Tanner is he has a panic attack when pressured.

Yeah. You hear that sports cliche about when a guy is doing well and getting more comfortable: "The game is going slower for him." The game seems to be going slower for Athan right now.

Morgan came in for ZA as reliever after halftime at Nebraska in 2018 and immediately outshined Annexstad. Today Kaliakmanis immediately outshined Morgan under spookily similar circumstances and sparked the team to a dramatic win.

I don’t know if Athan will continue to look as good versus better teams but he looked really good today. He has some obvious skills, and some moxie. I’m a big fan of Morgan, but we all know his Jekyll and Hyde performances very well. Given that the surrounding cast isn’t great maybe Athan’s legs are the X factor to move the chains the rest of the year.

I’m fine with either but obviously AK looks really promising going forward.

Went with AK. Just watched the game again. We were a different team in the second half with AK at QB. He deserves the start.

Tanner was 6/8 before he got hurt. If he's 100% I wsnt him in over Athan right now.
6/8 for like 40 yards. He can’t push the ball downfield for crap anymore. He has had his day for 5years. The People have spoken

You would have never brought AK in if it were up to you. I'm glad you believed what your own eyes saw!

You have no clue as to what I would have done, if it were up to me. Not a clue.

As I said before, there's no doubt putting Athan in the game against Nebraska sparked the team. No doubt. To me, he made the difference between winning and losing that game.

There is similarly no doubt that starting Athan and having him play the entire game against Penn State did not prevent the Gophers from being destroyed.

I am counting on the coaches to make the best decisions for this team. I always have, and I always will. Gopher Hole opinions are interesting, though, and I enjoy reading them.

You have no clue as to what I would have done, if it were up to me. Not a clue.

As I said before, there's no doubt putting Athan in the game against Nebraska sparked the team. No doubt. To me, he made the difference between winning and losing that game.

There is similarly no doubt that starting Athan and having him play the entire game against Penn State did not prevent the Gophers from being destroyed.

I am counting on the coaches to make the best decisions for this team. I always have, and I always will. Gopher Hole opinions are interesting, though, and I enjoy reading them.
True enough we were destroyed at Penn St. But also could be said the drubbing would have been worse if Morgan had played. AK passed for 175 yards and ran for 47. He was sacked once for a loss of one yard.

It is fanciful to think Morgan could have done anything close to that against a good PSU defense in a Happy Valley whiteout.

I have been arguing against this all season, but after listening to Fleck, it's hard to make the case that Athan isn't outperforming Tanner in practice. If Tanner has recurring concussions then he probably shouldn't be on the field anyway. Two downfield passes today completely opened up the offense. And, while he wasn't terribly accurate today, he did look like a servicable RS Freshman QB (and he flashed in a big way at times)... a lot like Tanner did against Indiana in 2018.

I don't think I can argue for Tanner anymore. He's a winner and he has shown that time and again, but don't think you can hold Athan back any longer if he's as good as y'all say he is.

Last edited:

True enough we were destroyed at Penn St. But also could be said the drubbing would have been worse if Morgan had played. AK passed for 175 yards and ran for 47. He was sacked once for a loss of one yard.

It is fanciful to think Morgan could have done anything close to that against a good PSU defense in a Happy Valley whiteout.
I've passed a few times, but thank you for pointing this out. It's absurd that what would be passed as a good performance for TM this year, played against the best opponent we've faced....on the road has been used to criticize Kaliakmanis. After some truly dismal performances by a 5th year starter.

Anyone who still thinks Morgan should be starting after today is not objective.

Top Bottom