Poll: What grade would you give the 2021-2022 season?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • C

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • D

Votes: 30 62.5%
  • F

Votes: 2 4.2%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

Not playing on Weakling Wednesday moves the grade to a D.

Had to give it a D, below average, just as their record indicates. Overall disappointing , really felt like this was a NCCA team this year going into the season. Same issues persisted this season, defense, finishing games and lazy passes and turnovers. If the core groups stays, there is optimism for the future

D. This was the first season I stopped renewing BTN Plus every month to keep watching the games. Glad they seemed to play better once Powell left though and the tournament game vs NW was entertaining.

Had to give it a D since there was no improvement in conference record. I was expecting at least a 0.500 overall record and a conference record improvement which would have made an NIT bid a decent possibility.

I think there is optimism to be had with the new talent coming in but they will need at least 1 or 2 more TP players with a post presence and some other experience including a 1, 3 & 4. Will be interesting to see who/if anyone else transfers. I would like to see everyone currently on the roster stay but as noted previously, Strande doesn't look engaged and all the other deep bench players would be more likely possibilities. Lastly, Scalia doesn't look very happy. What drives me nuts in general and I notice with Scalia in particular (since she is an upperclassman/leader), is that when a teammate is at the FT line and they take their first shot she rarely give them the post shot pat or slap to show support. This should happen on every damn first shot (of 2) with no excuses. Must show support just like is done with volleyball. Can you imagine someone not joining a post point huddle in a volleyball game? I can't, no excuse!

D. I'm still optimistic for the future, but I was definitely disappointed with the way this year's team played.

Sadly, I think Whalen needs to go. She was not and is not ready to be a head coach at this level. Coyle takes the blame for this. Given a 10 year track, Whalen might have been ready, but clearly she isn't ready yet. It is time to move on and hire a proven head coach.

I gave them a "C" because they reached the middle six in the Big Ten standings, were two games ahead of the Cellar Dwellers, and earned a bye. I might give them a "plus" for improvement and good play at the end of the season.

After Powell left, I saw a team that bought into the system that the coaches are teaching, and saw increased effort, enthusiasm, and team work.

Every team has "What If's." In the Gopher's case, Sissoko disappearing for much of the season was a mystery. But, it was good to see her play up to her ability at the end of the season and hope it carries over to next year. The loss of Borowicz was unfortunate because she has tremendous energy and enthusiasm. I suspect that LBK was healthier at the end of the season than at the beginning. LBK's maturity, steadiness, effort, and enthusiasm lifted the gophers after Powell's departure.

The gophers have some holes to fill with the departure of the seniors. They will need some freshmen and underclassmen to step up big time. Furthermore, they need to do a super job with the transfer portal. Maybe, Ben Johnson can teach them how to pick up players in the transfer portal. I am optimistic that the women's BB program will improve another step next year.

D, Whalen chasing out another star player and looking like a bad hiring decision where the good upcoming recruiting class transfer risk is only reason to keep her around

Last 10 games B- better chemistry, energy and playing hard
First 20 games D- Jaz, Lex, Klarke, Diva, Strande and Kadi had worse seasons then the prior year.

A very frustrating season. So much potential. Last night's game was telling. The game was there for the taking--NW missing free throws and we actually took the lead late. (How many times have we seen that this year?) Then, what happens? 1. Can't block out on free throws and give the ball back to NW. 2. Come down the floor and throw the ball away. (By a fifth year player.)

Scalia cannot create her own shot (not a criticism). When a play had to be made, we did not have anyone to take charge and demand a result.

When only Scalia or Sissoko are scoring, it is easy to double team and slow that down. Winters got us back in the game in the 4th quarter, but then where did she go?

I liked watching this team. I had hoped by the end of the season they would be able to close out a game they could win. Couldn't do it with Nebraska at home in December. Couldn't do it at Michigan State in January. Couldn't do it in the Big Ten Tournament in March.

I agree with Walleye. Optimistic about next year. But, we have to find a post player who can impact a game. Maybe Micheaux. Maybe one of the incoming freshmen. Won't be Sconiers. Hope they can find one because with Scalia, Sissoko (the one at the end of the season), Borowicz, Micheaux, and the incomers, there is hope.

Top Bottom