Poll: What grade would you give Athan Kaliakmanis in his first career home start?

Poll: What grade would you give Athan Kaliakmanis in his first career home start?

• A

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • B

Votes: 22 22.4%
  • C

Votes: 56 57.1%
  • D

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • F

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

It was not a good game I'll be honest, but to be fair I don't think tanner has a good game in this situation either. He seemed to be throwing behind receivers all game which could be do to the weather its hard to tell. That being said I continue to be impressed with his awareness in the pocket and use his legs.

What concerns me is the lack of passing attempts. I understand we didn't need to pass because of playing Northwestern, but once again I find it hard to believe this play calling will beat our next two opponents. If we are playing a close game we will need to find a way to drive down the field without chewing 8 minutes of clock. I just hope Athan is comfortable doing so against some good defenses.

Freshman. Limited his mistakes. Settled down in the second half and much of what happened in the passing game that was negative was not his doing (second half). Gave us plays with his legs. Was Houdini in the pocket from time to time. Solid B.

I gave him a D. He had one likely big TD dropped on him, but his accuracy and timing was otherwise ugly. Needs to step up to beat iowa and wisconsin

At the game he was really bad. Missed reads, missed throws. Long throwing motion really slow release. I hope it is open competition in the spring.

I can’t go any lower than C. He missed some passes but he was never throwing more than 15 passes in this game IMO. 0 turnovers is good enough.

It was not a good game I'll be honest, but to be fair I don't think tanner has a good game in this situation either. He seemed to be throwing behind receivers all game which could be do to the weather its hard to tell. That being said I continue to be impressed with his awareness in the pocket and use his legs.
Tanner is a 65% passer.

We've seen enough Athan now to know what he is this year. He's a 50% guy with some wheels. Last guy the Gophers had like that was Leidner. That's the comp for now. He'll get better, but they aren't comparable QBs at the moment.

C. I was thinking about a B because he managed the game well with no turn overs or really dumb decisions. But his accuracy was a little off and he only completed 50%.

I gave him a B because he the team dominated and I grade on the curve.

Time for Knuth? Or Kramer? Kramer is mobile and probably wouldn't throw any worse than AK.

Last edited:

Time for Knuth? Or Kramer? Kramer is mobile and probably wouldn't throw any worse than AK.
They’ll play Tanner before either of these two.

Morgan starts against Iowa.

He looked a little nervous at times, but that's to be expected.

He didn't turn the ball over, and he ran the offense well. He pulled the ball once or twice and ran for nice gains.

The future is bright.

They’ll play Tanner before either of these two.

Morgan starts against Iowa.
I was thinking the same thing. I think Fleck starts Morgan vs. Iowa because he wants that 6th year senior in the big game rather than a fairly unproven freshman. I think Morgan is the play if he is healthy.

If Morgan is cleared, I think he starts vs Iowa.

if Morgan is not cleared, then go with Athan and try to protect him. But he and the receivers have a lot of work to do to get on the same page.

I think we saw that it's easier to look good in short spurts than it is to be "the man" for an entire game. Athan looked and played like he was nervous - at least in the passing game.

I initially voted C, but changed to B. He missed early which maybe shortened his "Let's see what he can do" status with the coaches. Then it was run, run, run with a few passes here and there. Either running or passing, he was the leader in the huddle and it worked. I know the play calling was coaches decisions for the most part if not all of it, but he still was the on field leader of a nice offensive day. Side note, looks like he's trying to trust Wright which could be a good thing moving forward. The Greekster just needs time and experience.

He didn’t force it, that was good.

Needs work but that’s understandable.

Little bit disappointing as I had hoped for a bit more, but I didn’t expect much more.

Going to have to try using his legs vs Iowa I think.

Top Bottom