Poll. Weakest Link: Sanford or Morgan

Weakest Link:

• Total voters
There's no "type of nepotism". Nepotism is nepotism. Fleck is guilty of it, as much as Ferentz is.
When you hire your unqualified son to be your offensive coordinator, that is definitely nepotism... Having a preference to hire your buddies who are presumably qualified for the position is more cronyism...

When you hire your unqualified son to be your offensive coordinator, that is definitely nepotism... Having a preference to hire your buddies who are presumably qualified for the position is more cronyism...
Yeah. And if hiring someone you know and feel good about for a coordinator spot is nepotism then about 99% of d1 coordinator hires are nepotism

I'm not seeing much difference between the words. Nepotism includes friends, in its definition, while cronyism does not include family.

End of the day, disregarding candidate A who is better qualified than candidate B, simply because candidate B is your good friend, regardless if candidate A is still a friend, certainly qualifies as nepotism/cronyism.

I'm not seeing much difference between the words. Nepotism includes friends, in its definition, while cronyism does not include family.

End of the day, disregarding candidate A who is better qualified than candidate B, simply because candidate B is your good friend, regardless if candidate A is still a friend, certainly qualifies as nepotism/cronyism.
End of day, we have no idea if that is what happened.

Ssssshhhh..... the Vikings might read about this nepotism thing and try it. Wait. Whaaat???

The foundation of every organization everywhere preceding recorded history.

I’m yet to see Morgan be average without NFL WRs on the field.

Not that my opinion matters much, but I'd say at least 30%. Minnesota should've beaten Iowa. Period. They're the second best team in the West. IF (huge if) the MN staff recognizes the need to make adjustments in passing game and general approach on offense, they can win. We need to see a plan akin to what Wisconsin did to MN in 2019. Bring at least 2 or 3 "gadget" plays on offense that have been schemed up for big shots. Throw to CAB downfield anytime he's 1:1. Simplify Tanner's reads by taking away half the field. Run 3 and 4 man routes, but have him focus on 2. Lean on the OL in the running game, of course, but get creative in throwing it. On defense, do what you've been doing and hope Mertz reverts a little and turns it over twice.
And don’t intentionally play for field goals.

There's no problem hiring a guy you know well. Head coaches do that all the time. So the question here is does Fleck have bad judgment of coaching skills or did he know Sanford might be a weak choice but overlooked that because of the relationship?
Sanford kept getting high level jobs even before Fleck hired him. For whatever reason, as puzzling as it may be to us on the outside, he is/was highly regarded among coaches.

I thought you said it was time to move on?

It's hard to tell though, because we went from 2 NFL receivers + Crab to an injured Crab and a bunch of below average receivers. There was never an in between.

I’ve seen him be average in most games without nfl wrs. I think people vastly over estimate what an average college QB looks like.

I’ve seen him be average in most games without nfl wrs. I think people vastly over estimate what an average college QB looks like.

I would agree with that. I think there are two factors that influence perceptions here:

1) His 2019 year was so good that his average games look worse than average by comparison;

2) He really looks like a mess in his worst games and his bad games seem to have become a little more frequent lately.

Up close it's Morgan. He clearly has lost it and is no longer the confident QB from two years ago. He is the one on the field playing.

But bigger picture, Sanford is a MAJOR problem. He has a proven track record of destroying QBs and programs (Western Kentucky, Utah State). Thankfully his contract expires when this season ends and HOPEFULLY Coyle doesn't resign him.

Thankfully his contract expires when this season ends and HOPEFULLY Coyle doesn't resign him.
That's entirely Fleck's call. Coyle can't and wouldn't dictate that anyway.

No chance Fleck cans his buddy at the end of this year. It would take monumental collapses of the offense in the next two games. That would be the only way.

And no one wants that.

Best case scenario, to be honest:

- Simon takes an OC job elsewhere for 2022, does really well there
- things go to shit here on offense next year
- Fleck fires Sanford after 2022 and hires Simon

He (Fleck) still won't live up to his blunder in the first place, but at least it will be set right going forward.

He (Fleck) still won't live up to his blunder in the first place, but at least it will be set right going forward.
If Fleck refuses to move on from Sanford then i am officially done with Fleck. His continued loyalty to him makes Fleck become the problem.

If Fleck refuses to move on from Sanford then i am officially done with Fleck. His continued loyalty to him makes Fleck become the problem.
Just give it a year. It ain't gonna happen this year.

But next year, like I propose above, is doable.

Morgan didn't throw pass attempts? Sanford didn't design and call routes/pass plays?

7 games worth.
I feel there was enough of a weird off-season and things happening during the season to make any sort of judgement.

Tanner Morgan is the #67 QBR in the nation of 130FBS teams

The definition of average

Do you mean you haven’t seen him Play well?

That's entirely Fleck's call. Coyle can't and wouldn't dictate that anyway.

No chance Fleck cans his buddy at the end of this year. It would take monumental collapses of the offense in the next two games. That would be the only way.

And no one wants that.
You seem very convinced Fleck cannot learn and improve as a head coach.

You seem very convinced Fleck cannot learn and improve as a head coach.
Not this year, with the West title still in reach.

If it was a year like 2018 that was already shot, sure, he fired Robb Smith.

That's what I'm thinking for next year.

If Fleck is willing to throw away '22 even as a development year he is not the right guy here.

Top Bottom