Poll. Weakest Link: Sanford or Morgan

Weakest Link:

• Total voters

Doesn’t sound like they were super close friends for years and years to me. I guess you can call it nepotism by definition, but it’s not like Ferentz, seems like a pretty standard hiring to me. You could call the majority of hirings nepotism probably if you’re using it like you are.
There's no problem hiring a guy you know well. Head coaches do that all the time. So the question here is does Fleck have bad judgment of coaching skills or did he know Sanford might be a weak choice but overlooked that because of the relationship?

There's no problem hiring a guy you know well. Head coaches do that all the time. So the question here is does Fleck have bad judgment of coaching skills or did he know Sanford might be a weak choice but overlooked that because of the relationship?
Hard to argue he didn’t have bad judgment with Robb Smith, but KC fared well and Rossi has been fantastic, neither with much of a storied history. I think it’s just tough to be 100% on hires.

That’d be nepotism he’s been friends with Simon ever since he coached him at NIU.
Why is he friends with Simon, just because they coach together? You don't really think all coaches on the same staff are friends?

😂 you and your technicalities.
Hardly. What is wrong about that?

He couldn't take his WMU DC with him (stayed behind to be HC), so he had to hire a new one. Asked Schiano, who told him to take on Robb Smith (all from Rutgers). Fail.

(also told him to pickup Rossi, and he did, so I will give him that)

KC leaves to get back closer to family in PA. So he has to hire a new OC. Hires his buddy. Likely fail, but jury is still out.

So with Rossi (hired him as a quality control coach), I can go maybe 0.3 out of 2.

What do you put the chances of Minnesota beating Wisconsin at? 10% or less?
Not that my opinion matters much, but I'd say at least 30%. Minnesota should've beaten Iowa. Period. They're the second best team in the West. IF (huge if) the MN staff recognizes the need to make adjustments in passing game and general approach on offense, they can win. We need to see a plan akin to what Wisconsin did to MN in 2019. Bring at least 2 or 3 "gadget" plays on offense that have been schemed up for big shots. Throw to CAB downfield anytime he's 1:1. Simplify Tanner's reads by taking away half the field. Run 3 and 4 man routes, but have him focus on 2. Lean on the OL in the running game, of course, but get creative in throwing it. On defense, do what you've been doing and hope Mertz reverts a little and turns it over twice.

Ok so you think guys normally just hire strangers to be their high level assistants? I bet Fleck and Ciarrocca were friends before KC was hired.
Fleck and KC coached together at Norther Illinois, Rutgers, the NFL and Western Michigan

Fleck and KC coached together at Norther Illinois, Rutgers, the NFL and Western Michigan
I bet Fleck and Simon coached together at Northern Illinois, Rutgers, Western Michigan, and Minnesota.

(also, KC was never at NIU)

Hiring Sanford over Simon is not nepotism if Fleck considers Simon a friend as well.
Nope. That's not how words work. You don't get to invent new definitions to suit what you want them to be.

Hiring a friend, is nepotism. That's the definition of the word. No matter what.

Nope. That's not how words work. You don't get to invent new definitions to suit what you want them to be.

Hiring a friend, is nepotism. That's the definition of the word. No matter what.
Ok so it’s nepotism still if Fleck is friends with Simon and hires him. Right, am I doing it right now?

Ok so it’s nepotism still if Fleck is friends with Simon and hires him.
Yes

Haven't seen pictures of Fleck and Simon hugging each other at a party at Fleck's house. I doubt they're friends like he is with Sanford. But that's a wild guess.

Yes

Haven't seen pictures of Fleck and Simon hugging each other at a party at Fleck's house. I doubt they're friends like he is with Sanford. But that's a wild guess.
“Nepotism is nepotism”

You didn't really. You just went round and round and always came back to that I was correct: hiring Sanford was nepotism.

OK

You didn't really. You just went round and round and always came back to that I was correct: hiring Sanford was nepotism.

OK
Since this thread is about nepotism and friends.....I have been meaning to ask what ever happened to your "friend" that was posting here? You know fan of mplsgopher or something like that... :)

You did an impressive dual personality act in trying to keep both profiles going and even disagreeing with each other a little. Did it finally get tiring to keep the act up so the other guy just went away?

Top Bottom