Poll: Do you want t Notre Dame to join the B1G?

Do you want Notre Dame to join the B1G?

• Yes

Votes: 112 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 25.4%
  • undecided

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters
I think depriving yourself of a chance to go to South Bend based on the Gophers not playing there would be a huge mistake. My extended family was part of the Irish "Subway Alumni" so I became sort of a black sheep once Holtz bolted.

By 2005, I was over my distaste for all things Notre Dame, though still not a "fan". I have had the opportunity to see 3 Mich St-ND games at South Bend. It's quite a place and more than exceeded my expectations. It's really a treat.
My wife's family are ND fans. We went to a game a little while back when they played Navy. Ran into David Robinson while walking around campus. I believe this was when his son was being recruited by ND.

Notre Dame would be a great addition and greatly increase the competitive ability, financial standing of the Big Ten. Natural fit. The AAU angle is ludicrous.

People surely cannot dislike Domer fans more than Michigan, Buckeye, Wisconsin fans. Poll?

I disliked them before Lou Holtz and I have disliked them nonstop since before I can remember. I can’t think of a moment where I was given something that gave me pause or a reason to reconsider. I did enjoy “Rudy” but a major plot hole in that movie is it involves Notre Dame.

However, I do understand the current landscape of college sports so I voted “yes” here, after holding my nose.
And Joe Montana said that alot of that movie is bs.

Notre Dame would be a great addition and greatly increase the competitive ability, financial standing of the Big Ten. Natural fit. The AAU angle is ludicrous.

People surely cannot dislike Domer fans more than Michigan, Buckeye, Wisconsin fans. Poll?
Spot on. It's only upside with them. Notre Dame alone would increase the TV package by 20%-30%. They're a truly national brand, with Wolverine type quality, that every market wants to watch.

I think that would be short lived. I foresee Clemson, Florida St and Miami joining the SEC.
You might be short-sighted because the long-term contract signed by all the ACC members, except ND, is rock solid.

ND is a great academic school. They're just not a research juggernaut like major public schools with big, NIH-funded, medical research operations. That's basically what it comes down to, other than some exceptions.

This is spot on. I am not sure why the dislike of ND would be in the same league as WI and Iowa. Michigan? Maybe there could be an argument. But for the others... not close.

This is spot on. I am not sure why the dislike of ND would be in the same league as WI and Iowa. Michigan? Maybe there could be an argument. But for the others... not close.
Notre Dame Football is a lot like politics. Some fall on the one extreme of loving all things Notre Dame, others go the other way and hate ND with a passion. Most of us are pretty indifferent about them and I would be willing to bet many of the yes votes were like mine in that if the Big Ten is going to keep expanding then Notre Dame makes sense for a lot of reasons.

Notre Dame in the Big Ten makes more sense then USC, UCLA, Maryland or Rutgers. But in the end it doesn't matter. If they want to come on board great, if they don't, oh well.

Had the Notre Dame clause in his contract.
There was no clause in the contract. That was a lie Holtz told that was repeated by Sid Hartman and people believed it. I had a friend in the AD department and I saw the contract.
He was looking to make the move all along.
True. But the question is why he was looking to make a move.

He was surprising available to go to the Jets after leading NC State to a 33-12-3 record. Oh...that's right...NC State received NCAA sanctions the following year.

He led the Jets to a 3-10 record and went to Arkansas.

He was surprising available to go to the Gophers after leading Arkansas to a 60-21-2 record. Oh...that's right...Arkansas received NCAA sanctions the following year.

He was surprising available to go to the Irish after leading Gophers to a 10-12 record. Oh...that's right...The Gophers received NCAA sanctions the following year.

He surprising retired after leading the Irish to a 100-30-2 record. Oh...that's right...ND received NCAA sanctions the following year.

He retired after leading South Carolina to a 33-37 record. Oh...that's right...SC received NCAA sanctions the following year.

Through all that cheating, he won a whopping total of 1 single national championship, and somehow is in the Hall of Fame. What a sham.

Last edited:

F ND. And Lou. And Big Ten Hockey. Those prima donnas can go live in their independent world - independently.

There was no clause in the contract. That was a lie Holtz told that was repeated by Sid Hartman and people believed it. I had a friend in the AD department and I saw the contract.

Sid lied to us?

giphy (1).gif

Attachments

• giphy (1).gif
    giphy (1).gif
    517.1 KB · Views: 0

would love to beat the golden domers

I'd take ND only if two things happen. One is that they participate in the Big 10 in all sports. Can't choose conferences here and there for various sports. Secondly, they are treated like any other member of the conference. I'm more concerned about them trying to be bossy about everything to get their way.

I don't really want any of this super conference realignment stuff, but given that it is unavoidable at this point, yes I want ND in the big ten.
Agree. I voted yes because if we are going to expand, I would rather have Notre Dame above pretty much all of the other schools mentioned so far.

Yeah, honestly I think they make a hell of a lot more sense than Rutgers, Maryland, USC and UCLA, too. Hockey is already in the B1G and there are built in rivalries with Michigan, Michigan State and Purdue, plus allow them to play Indiana more often, too.

Notre Dame targeting $75 million annual payout to remain independent

It seems like ND’s independence all comes down to NBC’s faith in the Big12.

Besides Sunday night football, NBC has trying for a decades to buy cheap football rights and pass it all off as highly relevant to a national audience. This time they appear to be considering doing more of the same, and passing the savings on to Notre Dame.

The Big 12 will be without a single Top 25 revenue program, and only 3 in the Top 40.
Along with ND home games, half of which will be against opponents like Northern Illinois, Miami (OH) and Navy in future years, NBC would not have much nationally relevant programming compared to its competitors if it doesn’t get a share of the Big Ten’s media rights.

Notre Dame targeting $75 million annual payout to remain independent

It seems like ND’s independence all comes down to NBC’s faith in the Big12.

Besides Sunday night football, NBC has trying for a decades to buy cheap football rights and pass it all off as highly relevant to a national audience. This time they appear to be considering doing more of the same, and passing the savings on to Notre Dame.

The Big 12 will be without a single Top 25 revenue program, and only 3 in the Top 40.
Along with ND home games, half of which will be against opponents like Northern Illinois, Miami (OH) and Navy in future years, NBC would not have much nationally relevant programming compared to its competitors if it doesn’t get a share of the Big Ten’s media rights.
Is that supposed to be a link to an article?

The link works for me. It's a Dennis Dodd article from yesterday, saying:

Notre Dame would remain independent if it can earn at least $75 million annually in media rights revenue from current broadcast partner NBC, sources told CBS Sports. The Fighting Irish's deal with the network is set to expire in 2025.

For NBC to feel comfortable raising Notre Dame's valuation to such a level, it is seeking "shoulder programming" (in this case, games played before and/or after Notre Dame's contests) from a Power Five conference to enhance its college football coverage.

When such a move had been speculated previously, the Big Ten was the conference mentioned most often as a target. However, the Big 12 has emerged as a strong option to fill NBC's shoulder programming needs.

The Big Ten is expected to announce a new $1 billion media rights deal possibly as early as this month with Fox as its primary partner. It is believed to be seeking 2-3 other partners to air its programming with NBC reportedly among the bidders.

As always, "sources" say so. He can lie as much as he wants to, about that, and no one will ever be able to know. It's clickbait ... until it's not. That's the beauty of it.

I just don't think the value is there for NBC to agree to that deal. Notre Dame might just be doing their due diligence and throwing out the number that they can comfortably say "We're staying independent" and if NBC doesn't agree they can say they tried and join the Big Ten.

Yes, I want them in the Big Ten for one selfish reason:

I really want to attend a game in South Bend and I've always held conviction that I'll only do it if the Gophers are playing there (same with the Rose Bowl, I'll never attend a game in that stadium if the Gophers aren't in it).

Go Gophers!!ut on
Been there twice. Nothing special. Kind of like M.State, had to be bussed from the outer parking lot. However that may have changed as that area has been redone. Also they didn’t sell alcoholic beverages in their concession stands. Hard to believe Catholics missing out on beer/wine.

Been there twice. Nothing special. Kind of like M.State, had to be bussed from the outer parking lot. However that may have changed as that area has been redone. Also they didn’t sell alcoholic beverages in their concession stands. Hard to believe Catholics missing out on beer/wine.
Really the bus ride from the parking lot was your take-away?

Not the architecture of the Golden Dome and the artwork?
Pre-game Pep Band concert by both schools on the steps of the Golden Dome?
The Grotto of Our Lady Lourdes on the lake?
The mural of Touchdown Jesus on the Library?
Pep Rally at the Joyce Center featuring former Irish greats like the times when I saw Rocket Ismail, Tim Brown and Allen Pickett?
Dozens of student groups selling burgers, brats & dogs on the cheap in the commons area?
The bookstore where millions of dollars of Irish gear was being sold?

I'm not even Catholic and I was jazzed about the whole experience.

Can you imagine our boys going to South Bend and coming home with a win? I can and I am looking forward to it!

Top Bottom