Poll: Do you want t Notre Dame to join the B1G?

Do you want Notre Dame to join the B1G?

• Yes

Votes: 112 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 44 25.4%
  • undecided

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters

Donovan

Reaction score
I’m guessing the vast majority will say yes, but I’ve seen quite a few folks not interested in having them join the conference. I dislike Notre Dame almost as much as I dislike Wisconsin, however, I would love to see them join the B1G.

I don't want them but I also believe it will happen if the BIG is to survive the arms race.

I want them to remain sort of in the ACC and have to play Clemson every year.
If NE's sense of entitlement and their fans' constant whining that they are in a bad league aggravates you just wait until the Domers get into the BIG.
They take entitlement to a new level.

If they want to sure...

IMO ND's objection to join was always that they wanted to play their own schedule how they wanted to play it. That may or may not be as big a deal now.

If they don't want to then I don't want them ACC style or anything like that.

I never wanted any expansion after Nebraska (though I like that expansion).

Once a conference gets too big it loses its regionality.

But with the addition of USC and UCLA…regionality is dead and the only way to get it back is to get the conference so big it requires subdivision.

I loved Notre Dame as a kid, then they stole Lou Holtz and I've hated them with a passion ever since. But they've always felt a bit like a Big Ten team to me and I think they're a perfect fit. And it think they'd get exposed playing in the conference, or at least be more Wisconsin than Ohio State.

I want them to remain sort of in the ACC and have to play Clemson every year.
If NE's sense of entitlement and their fans' constant whining that they are in a bad league aggravates you just wait until the Domers get into the BIG.
They take entitlement to a new level.
I think that would be short lived. I foresee Clemson, Florida St and Miami joining the SEC.

My general reaction is "meh" but I have read a lot about the B2 trajectory and having them aboard would be good long term for a 20 or even 24 team B1G superconference, especially if Stanford comes aboard.

There's definitely history behind ND being "independent" for almost 100 years. They actually did everything thrown at them procedurally "back-in-the-day" and Yost at Michigan stood in the way. As best can tell this was one that Minnesota avoided, at least openly. Eventually ND said screw it and have navigated the NCAA century pretty well as an independent.

Right now the business model works for them, which allows for pride to rule the day. Whether coming to one of the B2s, or renovating an ACC-B3, they will not move until it works for them.

I disliked them before Lou Holtz and I have disliked them nonstop since before I can remember. I can’t think of a moment where I was given something that gave me pause or a reason to reconsider. I did enjoy “Rudy” but a major plot hole in that movie is it involves Notre Dame.

However, I do understand the current landscape of college sports so I voted “yes” here, after holding my nose.

Yes, I want them in the Big Ten for one selfish reason:

I really want to attend a game in South Bend and I've always held conviction that I'll only do it if the Gophers are playing there (same with the Rose Bowl, I'll never attend a game in that stadium if the Gophers aren't in it).

Go Gophers!!

Ah, right, Lou Holtz. Now it makes sense why older fans on here say they hate them (ND).

I suppose you hated Nebraska all these years too, for the abysmal poundings they gave the Gophers back in the 80's was it? I would say revenge has been taken, by now.

I loved Notre Dame as a kid, then they stole Lou Holtz and I've hated them with a passion ever since. But they've always felt a bit like a Big Ten team to me and I think they're a perfect fit. And it think they'd get exposed playing in the conference, or at least be more Wisconsin than Ohio State.
They didn't really steal Holtz. He was looking to make the move all along. Had the Notre Dame clause in his contract. Does anyone know if he had an OSU clause also?

I really want to attend a game in South Bend and I've always held conviction that I'll only do it if the Gophers are playing there (same with the Rose Bowl, I'll never attend a game in that stadium if the Gophers aren't in it).

Go Gophers!!
I think depriving yourself of a chance to go to South Bend based on the Gophers not playing there would be a huge mistake. My extended family was part of the Irish "Subway Alumni" so I became sort of a black sheep once Holtz bolted.

By 2005, I was over my distaste for all things Notre Dame, though still not a "fan". I have had the opportunity to see 3 Mich St-ND games at South Bend. It's quite a place and more than exceeded my expectations. It's really a treat.

I think depriving yourself of a chance to go to South Bend based on the Gophers not playing there would be a huge mistake. My extended family was part of the Irish "Subway Alumni" so I became sort of a black sheep once Holtz bolted.

By 2005, I was over my distaste for all things Notre Dame, though still not a "fan". I have had the opportunity to see 3 Mich St-ND games at South Bend. It's quite a place and more than exceeded my expectations. It's really a treat.

If this next round of conference craziness does not bring ND to the BT, then I'll likely soften my stance and eventually get to a big time game in South Bend.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!
Been there. Because I'm one of those "Older" fans, mind you it was decades ago. My hung-over memory was that it was meh. Walked around the campus a bit and it was nice. Do remember my buddies and I locked several dozen restroom doors from the inside as a gag.
If you do go to a Gopher game, I'm sure they have unlocked them by now.

But with the addition of USC and UCLA…regionality is dead and the only way to get it back is to get the conference so big it requires subdivision.
This is why I voted yes. We aren't going back to the "old days." But I think rapid expansion to 20 teams will get us to the point where we need these regional divisions. Notre Dame helps us do that (although we'd obviously need a few more).

This is pretty much where I fall as well. I didn't really want any expansion but was ok with the additions of Penn State and Nebraska. Maryland and Rutgers did nothing for me and could really care less about USC and UCLA coming on board.

I don't care about Notre Dame the way many do. If they want to join up with whatever super conference we are in the process of forming....great....but in the end I really don't care who comes and goes at this point as what used to be the Big Ten has been a thing of the past for a while and with the most recent expansion is officially dead.

Ah, right, Lou Holtz. Now it makes sense why older fans on here say they hate them (ND).

I suppose you hated Nebraska all these years too, for the abysmal poundings they gave the Gophers back in the 80's was it? I would say revenge has been taken, by now.
Yes, I did. Still do.

No revenge close yet. It will take much more to make up for 49-0, 48-7, 54-0 and 84-13. I was a mere child and the trauma is deep.

this may be reverse logic, but:

I'm fine with Notre Dame as an independent.

But, if they're going to join a conference, I want them to join the B1G. I don't want to see them go into another conference, especially that outfit in the South-East part of the country.

this may be reverse logic, but:

I'm fine with Notre Dame as an independent.

But, if they're going to join a conference, I want them to join the B1G. I don't want to see them go into another conference, especially that outfit in the South-East part of the country.

Ditto.

Top Bottom