Politics aside.......doesn't it seem

Part of the problem is that SOME people are pushing the best-case or worst-case scenarios based on politics - not on science.

All I know is that Dr. Fauci and other medical experts keep saying that this is going to be around for a while. There is no proven treatment yet, and a vaccine is probably at least a year away. Fauci is also talking about the possibility of another flare-up in the fall. (which, BTW, is what happened with the 1918 flu epidemic).

So, as much as I might want to be optimistic, I don't want to get my hopes up only to have them squashed if things take a turn for the worse this fall.

And again - it's not 1 curve. it's 50 curves. each state is on a little different timetable. that will impact decisions on sports, especially for the travel aspect.

My best guess at this point is that we might have a football season this fall, but with no fans in the stands.
This is what I see...until we have a vaccine...football but no fans in the stands.

This is what I see...until we have a vaccine...football but no fans in the stands.
When a couple payers get it, will they shut it down so it doesn't spread any more or keep playing? I see Japan is about ready to restart their plans for their baseball season. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Eventually, there will be enough tests to tell people if they have it or if they did have it. They'll be confident that our medical system can treat everyone. I imagine treatments will be improved so survival rate is better and recovery is quicker. So I'm also optimistic there is a football season. I think there's a chance also that there might even be NBA & NHL playoffs and even a baseball season in some abbreviated form. I'd guess there will be games decided by whether or not a team has a player or players in quarantine.

I think people will then have to decide how much risk they want to take for themselves and their families. I'm in my 70's with high blood pressure so I doubt I'll be at the Bank even though I don't plan to live in a bubble.

Stop paying people and they will return to work. This is all too silly paying people not to work.

I think the optimism is coming from examples like Washington (where I live) that Stay at Home orders do flatten the curve when implemented early enough. I think this has instilled some confidence that we can handle this if we all get past our separate curves.

Then its just a matter of controlling the spread. No one thinks we're going to be rid of this until a vaccine is readily available, but it should be able to be controlled to the point where hospitals are not running over capacity and short supplies.

I think its a "Okay, we're controlling it to the best of our ability right now, and we can plan so we are ready for another flare up in the fall" type optimism.

The lead article on Fox all day is an interview with Alex Berenson re his view that lockdowns have made no difference anywhere according to the CDC data. Give it a read.

This is a war, in a war there are winners, losers and casualties. CHARGE!

Just go to the national semis with the gophers in it already. No need to play the whole season. It’s a forgone conclusion they’ll be top 4.

I think the football season--or some portion of it--will likely happen, but I see a lot of half-full stadiums. Hard-core fans from hard-core programs will likely show up, but I don't see the casual fans showing up in great numbers. Just my take. I have absolutely no data to back it up.

This is how I feel too. I think this will be another huge strain on the attendance of most sports. Our society has a huge range of viewpoints on this from a bad flu year to a shut it down for 18 months until we get a vaccine viewpoint. Certainly casual sports fans would span that range too.

My biggest question about sports in the foreseeable future.....what happens when a player inevitably tests positive during the season? Does that lead to a cancellation of the season again? Or do we just pull that player off the field and put him/her on the disabled list? Seems much more likely it would be the former.

This is how I feel too. I think this will be another huge strain on the attendance of most sports. Our society has a huge range of viewpoints on this from a bad flu year to a shut it down for 18 months until we get a vaccine viewpoint. Certainly casual sports fans would span that range too.

This is going to be the economy, in general.

That's why all these people saying "open it back up, everyone is ready to get back to work!" are false. There isn't the same amount of work to be done, anymore. The economy just took a huge crap, and won't spring back automatically, even if you completely opened it up at once.

My biggest question about sports in the foreseeable future.....what happens when a player inevitably tests positive during the season? Does that lead to a cancellation of the season again? Or do we just pull that player off the field and put him/her on the disabled list? Seems much more likely it would be the former.
Players won't be allowed into the door of a facility until they get a clean test result that morning. Let alone on a practice field. Let alone on a game field.

Under that system, it would be impossible.

But that doesn't take into account if someone cheats the system or f_cks it up. Now both of those are certainly possible (maybe likely).

I would of course not put it past an SEC school to lie/cheat and cover up the positive test of a star player, for example.

Um, many people have no work to which they can return.
C'mon Man, don't let details or nuance prevent you from stigmatising and critizing a whole swath of the American people.

That's a great humanist's opinion on Easter weekend. He's doing work, unless the rest if those lazy &$#@&$@&.

Stop paying people to close their stores and, (drum roll here) the stores will reopen.
And (drum roll), much fewer people (possible none) will walk through the open doors.

The demands of pre-cv19 are dead and gone. When it opens up, we will have to pick up the pieces and try to cobble together what the new normal will be, and it will take time.

Most of the country is tired of sitting around, we can only be non productive for a few days before restlessness sets in. Businesses are busy trying to coordinate reopening. Football will be back!

Yes, but the same is true for hockey and the NBA.
Correct. And the same is true for Wimbledon, British Open, the Olympics, Vegas Casios, etc. Pretty strange to argue we will have football because there is too much money in it, when every other major event has canceled regardless of the money.

Correct. And the same is true for Wimbledon, British Open, the Olympics, Vegas Casios, etc. Pretty strange to argue we will have football because there is too much money in it, when every other major event has canceled regardless of the money.
Actually, several events have postponed until August-November, about the same time college football camps would be in full swing.

Actually, several events have postponed until August-November, about the same time college football camps would be in full swing.
If everything does go as we would like this fall meaning college football, professional football, baseball, Golf, Hockey, and everything else. Can you imagine everyone trying to get a piece of the tv screen?

Stop paying people to close their stores and, (drum roll here) the stores will reopen.
we do have a killer virus on The loose, and spreads by people congregating in groups. Hence the closure of places where people congregate in order to halt the virus. The stores and businesses will reopen when we get this public health emergency under control. As for the money, nobody was paid to close their doors. Nor have they received any money yet. Any funds appropriated by Congress and signed into law by The Fool are an attempt to keep the economy from collapse.

As someone else said, the big unknown is what happens if they start playing games again and a player tests positive.

Let's say for example that Iowa starts fall practice and right before the season opener, a player tests positive. That player would have had contact with virtually the entire team. So, does the entire team have to quarantine for two weeks, or just the infected player?

And the big IF: will the testing capacity be available to test 100+ players on a daily or almost daily basis?

this just occurred to me - if testing is an issue, I could see college FB teams having to operate with smaller rosters. Right now you can dress 70 for road games. I could see that being changed to dressing 70 for home games and (guessing) 60 for road games, just to reduce the number of people having to be tested.

Iverson's speech is still one of my all-time favorites. I just laugh every single time.

1000% - loved how he played and also how he was one of only a handful of players ever who was actually honest when someone asked a question.

Top Bottom