Politics aside.......doesn't it seem

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
like there is a more positive feeling on where we are going with this virus.

I'm seeing this from Walz and also from Washington DC.

Is anyone else getting a vibe that football is much more likely to happen than say a week ago?

It seems like everything is going at warp speed! The talk is of hitting the curve, then going down, then getting back to normal. You weren't hearing this one week ago.

Agreed! Although I think it will turn to it. I keep venturing to the OTB which i never did ever. I should have stayed away! Much kinder and gentler kind of conversations over here. Let's go football!

Yes, but the same is true for hockey and the NBA.

biggest difference is the months to prepare and plan both as a league but also as a nation. The suddenness of it made it impossible for the leagues to remain open. College football kickoff is like 5 months from now

It is not just a matter of how Minnesota does against the coronavirus. What will the rest of the Big Ten States do? What about the rest of the country?

There will be football. It is a question of when and whether we'll have fans in the stadia.

The only thing that has been established is that the worst case scenario probably won't happen. There's a lot still up in the air but it now looks like relaxing restrictions could occur by June 1st.

Eventually, there will be enough tests to tell people if they have it or if they did have it. They'll be confident that our medical system can treat everyone. I imagine treatments will be improved so survival rate is better and recovery is quicker. So I'm also optimistic there is a football season. I think there's a chance also that there might even be NBA & NHL playoffs and even a baseball season in some abbreviated form. I'd guess there will be games decided by whether or not a team has a player or players in quarantine.

I think people will then have to decide how much risk they want to take for themselves and their families. I'm in my 70's with high blood pressure so I doubt I'll be at the Bank even though I don't plan to live in a bubble.

Is anyone else getting a vibe that football is much more likely to happen than say a week ago?

It seems like everything is going at warp speed! The talk is of hitting the curve, then going down, then getting back to normal. You weren't hearing this one week ago.

I agree and I'm grateful for it.

There was no other option but to plan the worst and hope for the best. Can you imagine if you didn't. Monday morning Qbing is nonsensical as anyone can be right in hindsight when they're not making choices in that moment based on the information available to them.

politics aside, I want to know why we didn't go through this in 2009 during the novel H1N1 pandemic that infected 60.9 million Americans alone, that we are still dealing with still today, even with a vaccine..?

I am hoping for the best, but there seems to be freight train of doom pushed by the average fan and I do not get it. Dan B on KFAN seems to be all about this doomsday stuff as well.

They seem to be angry that anyone wants to get over this quick and move on, and are looking for all the downside impacts at all times. Lou Nanne is the same way, WTF.

Gardsi, FU as well

They all seem to relish when anything is cancelled or postponed and get angry when us normal flunkies look for some hope.

Eventually, there will be enough tests to tell people if they have it or if they did have it. They'll be confident that our medical system can treat everyone. I imagine treatments will be improved so survival rate is better and recovery is quicker. So I'm also optimistic there is a football season. I think there's a chance also that there might even be NBA & NHL playoffs and even a baseball season in some abbreviated form. I'd guess there will be games decided by whether or not a team has a player or players in quarantine.

I think people will then have to decide how much risk they want to take for themselves and their families. I'm in my 70's with high blood pressure so I doubt I'll be at the Bank even though I don't plan to live in a bubble.

Thank you Mulligan, best post I have seen in a while on this.

politics aside, I want to know why we didn't go through this in 2009 during the novel H1N1 pandemic that infected 60.9 million Americans alone, that we are still dealing with still today, even with a vaccine..?
\\
I recall one person at my 300 person office at the time, being "self-quarantined" during the 2009 H1NI outbreak that apparently impacted 1/5 of Americans.- 60 Million people

Now this is a death spiral for all of us????

\\
I recall one person at my 300 person office at the time, being "self-quarantined" during the 2009 H1NI outbreak that apparently impacted 1/5 of Americans.- 60 Million people

Now this is a death spiral for all of us????

Well for one thing, H1N1 reulted in about 12,000 deaths over the course of 12 months whereas we have 14,000+ in less than a month from this (and rapidly growing). Second, H1N1 didn’t have the scary characteristic of 14 day asymptomatic incubation time where you could spread the disease without knowing you were infected...and there weren’t carriers that were completely asymptomatic. Also there were antiviral treatments that were effective against it and likely reduced the death toll.

Just remember the numbers we are racking up with Covid are numbers that continue to build even with our practice of social distancing and quarantine. It’s scary to imagine what we’d be looking at if we “treated it like the flu”.

And with all due respect, I doubt politics were set aside with your question/statement.

I posted that to discipline myself to stay away from politics on this.

Not sure you can discuss this topic without politics creeping into it but yes, in general the projections are getting less dire and there does seem to be a bit more light at the end of the tunnel. But it will still be a while before things are back to some semblance of normal.

I think football will happen but tough to say if it will be on the traditional or some sort of adjusted schedule at this point.

I'm still working which helps as a distraction. At some point the mental health toll on my wife hearing minute by minute from every outlet for weeks now and about to stretch into months about how terrible everything is, is going to have a greater net affect on her physical health than the virus itself would have.

Need to encourage people to walk away from the hourly updates on the situation a few days a week, it helps greatly. Still need to pop your head out of the sand at least weekly to see what's changed, but I don't think we are all cut out to hear bad news 24/7 for months at a time.

I'm still working which helps as a distraction. At some point the mental health toll on my wife hearing minute by minute from every outlet for weeks now and about to stretch into months about how terrible everything is, is going to have a greater net affect on her physical health than the virus itself would have.

Need to encourage people to walk away from the hourly updates on the situation a few days a week, it helps greatly. Still need to pop your head out of the sand at least weekly to see what's changed, but I don't think we are all cut out to hear bad news 24/7 for months at a time.
Agree for me. I gave up watching the evening news every night especially with the constant stories covering what is going on in New York. I feel for them and the stories about what the doctors and nurses are dealing with are compelling, but it's healthier for me to check on it only once or twice a week rather than nightly.

Well for one thing, H1N1 reulted in about 12,000 deaths over the course of 12 months whereas we have 14,000+ in less than a month from this (and rapidly growing). Second, H1N1 didn’t have the scary characteristic of 14 day asymptomatic incubation time where you could spread the disease without knowing you were infected...and there weren’t carriers that were completely asymptomatic. Also there were antiviral treatments that were effective against it and likely reduced the death toll.

Just remember the numbers we are racking up with Covid are numbers that continue to build even with our practice of social distancing and quarantine. It’s scary to imagine what we’d be looking at if we “treated it like the flu”.

And with all due respect, I doubt politics were set aside with your question/statement.
This. With corona, kill rate is higher per current estimations, each person who gets it is infecting more people than typical, attack rate is around ~40% (so make that 2/5 instead of 1/5) and given the time period, we won't have the beds available to care for y'all (see shit show that's happening in NYC). We're freaking out because this has the potential to kill a substantial number of people very quickly, particularly if it comes in bulk, as this could become an Italy situation where care rationing would have to happen. Is occurring with PPE currently so you'd hope people would realize the US doesn't have some never-ending supply of the necessary things to take care of people

Currently we have tested about 0.5% of the population and most tests still take a long time to get the results.
There is still not a test for antibodies to the virus that is reliable and widely available that would show some immunity to the virus. And no one know how effective this immunity is and how long it lasts.
A vaccine will not be available probably until early winter at the most optimistic estimate.
Until those things happen-wide spread fast and reliable testing and a vaccine- there are far more important activities than sports that need to be safely activated to get us out of the certain recession that is certainly coming.

Currently we have tested about 0.5% of the population and most tests still take a long time to get the results.
There is still not a test for antibodies to the virus that is reliable and widely available that would show some immunity to the virus. And no one know how effective this immunity is and how long it lasts.
A vaccine will not be available probably until early winter at the most optimistic estimate.
Until those things happen-wide spread fast and reliable testing and a vaccine- there are far more important activities than sports that need to be safely activated to get us out of the certain recession that is certainly coming.
well said

No. After all the sacrifices now, I doubt we will want to repeat it. Until there is rapid testing for all and much better mitigation when contracted, there will be no football, at least live for fans.

Part of the problem is that SOME people are pushing the best-case or worst-case scenarios based on politics - not on science.

All I know is that Dr. Fauci and other medical experts keep saying that this is going to be around for a while. There is no proven treatment yet, and a vaccine is probably at least a year away. Fauci is also talking about the possibility of another flare-up in the fall. (which, BTW, is what happened with the 1918 flu epidemic).

So, as much as I might want to be optimistic, I don't want to get my hopes up only to have them squashed if things take a turn for the worse this fall.

And again - it's not 1 curve. it's 50 curves. each state is on a little different timetable. that will impact decisions on sports, especially for the travel aspect.

My best guess at this point is that we might have a football season this fall, but with no fans in the stands.

I think the optimism is coming from examples like Washington (where I live) that Stay at Home orders do flatten the curve when implemented early enough. I think this has instilled some confidence that we can handle this if we all get past our separate curves.

Then its just a matter of controlling the spread. No one thinks we're going to be rid of this until a vaccine is readily available, but it should be able to be controlled to the point where hospitals are not running over capacity and short supplies.

I think its a "Okay, we're controlling it to the best of our ability right now, and we can plan so we are ready for another flare up in the fall" type optimism.

FACTCHECKER has deemed this "misleading". There were 12,700 direct deaths from H1N1 which largely included school children, with over 17,000 related deaths due to H1N1 (probably more)..
CDC is considering anyone who dies wile infected with COVID19 to be a COVID19 death, even if they die in a car accident..

Nevertheless, at the time, no one knew how many deaths would result from H1N1, all they knew was it was a novel, highly contagious virus which was directly related to the 1918 virus and nothing got shut down. Nothing. And to finish the point, people are still getting it today, It's now called Influenza A and it's still killing more people worldwide than COVID19.

I think the football season--or some portion of it--will likely happen, but I see a lot of half-full stadiums. Hard-core fans from hard-core programs will likely show up, but I don't see the casual fans showing up in great numbers. Just my take. I have absolutely no data to back it up.

...in the meantime, some of us old geezers should go on a diet.

Top Bottom