PMac's Jerry Kill Interview: 'This is what I've been able to do... build programs'

Interesting article.

This is an interesting article. Kill sees his team as being "ordinary people trying to do an extraordinary thing."
It appears as though Kill will go right to work on strength training, academics and attitudes. Hopefully, big donors can take care of weight room issues pretty quickly. They would in any winning Big 10 program.
Kill "gets" the Big 10. He said UNI played Wisconsin tough. But if they played them eight times in a row, they wouldn't have any players left.
I believe Kill and his staff will work to make the Gophers better every day. I wish he hadn't sworn so much in the interview, however, or that those words had been edited more--use "darn" instead of "damn" and so forth.

Personally I enjoyed how many [expletive]'s there were. In my book the casual swearing evens evens out his faith.

I don't mind kicking it off... One thing I didn't appreciate was the advice he got from Mason. "My understanding is Coach Mason brought it up, that we were never good enough on defense, and how do we get there?"

Geee Glen thanks for the tip. I hope Kill didn't wait around too long to get an answer from Mason about how we get there.

I absolutely love this quote:

"They always say this: you can live with a recruiting mistake for 365 days, or you can play against him one time."

So simple, yet stunningly brilliant. I've never really thought of it in those terms before.

So simple, yet stunningly brilliant. I've never really thought of it in those terms before.

Me either. I like it! It's a great way to frame the goal of finding kids who fit your system.

Coach Kill explain to the recruits that if you want to play in the NFL many cities like Minneapolis are cold weather areas of the country, the weather is an excuse. For example, the best NFL teams came from cold weather cities like . Pittsburg and even putrid Green Bay come to mind and they are both in the Super Bowl. The fact of the matter is the whole Big Ten is a cold climate conference.

Kill, Gophers, Kill!...

What a great read! :clap: He's got the values and attitude of a worker. He doesn't need the sweatervest, or crazy neon green socks, or South Beach in his backyard. He is just going to work, and teach the guys how to do the same. Is it August yet?

Go Gophers!

This is such an about-face from our last coach and it is hard to believe Kill and Brewster are/were in the same job. I read that and I almost feel like volunteering to be a tackling dummy for 2-a-days next summer. I think Kill is hitting the nail on the head and I hope we will find our rodents as a bigger, faster version of Northern Illinois laying down the upsets in the Big 10 and laughing through beatdowns over those FCS schools each September. Just hearing him repeat the need to "beat the teams you should beat" was music to my ears.

I did like the St. Paul Slim rap though.

I would add that Kill does toot his own horn quite a bit. At least he isn't adding victories as an assistant and position coach to his overall win loss record. :)

Because I live far from the Twin Cities I have never really thought about buying Gopher season tickets. While reading this it occurred to me that I would if I were within 300 miles. Heck of a guy! Barring something very serious I will be in LA to see the opener in early Sept. Go Gophers!

Just read this interview.. Awesome!!

Seriously.. The more I read on Coach Kill.. The more I like him. And it's not like I ever hated him, either. He's the type of guy that makes your a bigger Gopher fan the more you read on him.

How awesome would it be if Coach Kill became our (better) version of the SweaterVest or JoePa??

Top Bottom