Please allow me to introduce myself

cyberbach

Friendly Rival
Reaction score
I'm a man of wealth and taste.....j/k, sorry, got caught up in the title.:)

I was looking for a place to put this post and I'm sure it probably doesn't belong here but the mods can move it if they want. I've been a poster over at HuskerMax since its inception back in 99 and recently had the pleasure of meeting Formo from your board. I am a lifelong Nebraska Husker fan and as such I've taken the time to research a lot of what made our program what it is today. Our years of history extend way beyond the old Big 8 and now Big 12 as we have over the years had quite a few long series with many teams outside of our conference. Minnesota had quite a history with my Huskers and I've often wanted to get a non conference 1 and 1 scheduled so I had a good opportunity to visit Minnesota again. I followed your program years ago when you guys took Glen Mason from Kansas. He was just getting that program competitive and I was kinda glad to see him go because I respected him as a coach and felt he could give my team difficulties at some point. He had some good success here but for what ever reason he was let go?
I started frequenting different boards in the Big 10 when I heard that we were considering changing conferences and GolpherHole seems like a well managed site with good participation. I find it incredibly interesting to read opposing fans take on games and what makes them tick. I'm not the kind of fan to show a lack of class and flame people just to get a rise and I promise I have no bad intentions of showing any thing less than class over here. From what I understand we share some common ground.... our detest for a certain school in Iowa. Because of our proximity to the Hawkeyes we have a natural rivalry as many of them live here and many of us live there... you know what I mean. :) Sorry to bend your ear with a weak intro but just wanted to get the opportunity to say hi and hope we can share a beer at a tailgate some day.

You made it!

BTW, you have made about 50 new friends with your Iowa comments. Keep them up!!

cyberbach, welcome to GopherHole and sorry for the delay in getting you approved. We're glad you found our "Hole" and we look forward to your perspective. The addition of Nebraska to the Big Ten will energize the conference and create some new rivalries.

It's great to see your hatred for Iowa already rooted in your soul. If you make it to TCF Bank Stadium, it won't be a shock if you hear our students chanting "WHO HATES IOWA" in the middle of the Nebraska game. That may be a chant both Gopher and Husker fans can answer in unison "WE HATE IOWA."

Welcome to GopherHole and to the Big Ten.

He had some good success here but for what ever reason he was let go?

And you just lost about 100 friends.

Mods! Ban this guy!

First things first, welcome to GopherHole. My wife is from Lincoln, and coincidentally she is there as I type, visiting and attending a high school reunion this weekend.

Second: Stay classy (like most of your fans) and there could be some really good back and forth's here, but be prepared to put on your thick skin. There is too great a history on this site of really, really irritating trolls on this board for people to take you at face value. Sorry about that, but trolls must be crushed, and newbies are NEVER trusted.

Lastly: Since you referenced Formo, I'll trust that you read his introduction on your board and he hit it pretty well spot on. The one about who we are, what pisses us off, etc.

Although it will create some very uncomfortable Saturdays in my home (my wife also attended UNL) I'm really looking forward to this revived rivalry. Considering our abhorrence to all things Iowa and Wisconsin, it would be cool to have a rivalry without hate, but that ain't the way rivalries occur. But I hope that we can create a heated rivalry with mutual respect.

Best regards,

Give me a bit and I'll whip up a Photoshop anima.... :)

How bout this guys.......................

BURN HAWKEYES BURN

BurnHawkeyeBurn.gif

Cyberbach,
Welcome, I am a newb as well. My son is an incoming freshman to the U this year. He just landed in mps 10 minutes ago for freshman orientation. I am a Badger alum and now a Gopher fan as well. He and I are not going to the Badger game, bow hunting instead, but I will be at the Illinois game.Your QB went to a small h.s. in Corona,Ca., about 25 miles from us. My son's conference has kicked out Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer and the back up Andrew Luck at Stanford. Winning on the road in the big 10 is tuff. Maybe after 10/1 You might have a chance. I think the Huskers will have a difficult first year but hey, classy program and great tradition. Any state that's the birthplace of Cabela's can't be all bad. :)

And you just lost about 100 friends.

Mods! Ban this guy!

First things first, welcome to GopherHole. My wife is from Lincoln, and coincidentally she is there as I type, visiting and attending a high school reunion this weekend.

Second: Stay classy (like most of your fans) and there could be some really good back and forth's here, but be prepared to put on your thick skin. There is too great a history on this site of really, really irritating trolls on this board for people to take you at face value. Sorry about that, but trolls must be crushed, and newbies are NEVER trusted.

Lastly: Since you referenced Formo, I'll trust that you read his introduction on your board and he hit it pretty well spot on. The one about who we are, what pisses us off, etc.

Although it will create some very uncomfortable Saturdays in my home (my wife also attended UNL) I'm really looking forward to this revived rivalry. Considering our abhorrence to all things Iowa and Wisconsin, it would be cool to have a rivalry without hate, but that ain't the way rivalries occur. But I hope that we can create a heated rivalry with mutual respect.

Best regards,

I'm trying to remember if Fromo's post said anything about Glen Mason.... didn't he bring this program up after he was hired, thought I remember a big game with Penn State? I wasn't following your team close enough back in those days but I remember he had a few slip away from him late in the game.... duly noted, no more mention of Mason. :)

Cyberbach,
Welcome, I am a newb as well. My son is an incoming freshman to the U this year. He just landed in mps 10 minutes ago for freshman orientation. I am a Badger alum and now a Gopher fan as well. He and I are not going to the Badger game, bow hunting instead, but I will be at the Illinois game.Your QB went to a small h.s. in Corona,Ca., about 25 miles from us. My son's conference has kicked out Mark Sanchez, Carson Palmer and the back up Andrew Luck at Stanford. Winning on the road in the big 10 is tuff. Maybe after 10/1 You might have a chance. I think the Huskers will have a difficult first year but hey, classy program and great tradition. Any state that's the birthplace of Cabela's can't be all bad. :)

Yea Taylor Martinez is a pretty special athlete and he won some award for offensive player of the year his senior year. He was widely recruited but everyone wanted him at safety because of his incredible speed, Nebraska was the only school that told him he would get a shot at QB. His freshman year he red-shirted and Pelini had him play QB on the scout team. Well, he amazed everyone with his breakaway speed but oddly enough, he had even more success in HS with his arm. I think he was caught up in our old offense so much it stifled him and now with Beck as our OC I think we'll play more to Taylors strengths.
I also look at our inaugural Big10 schedule as a very difficult baptism of fire. And yes you're right, October 1st looms large but it's also the one away game I'll be attending this year. One of my best friends from childhood had lived in Madison for the last 6 or 7 years and when we heard of the schedule he secured us a couple tickets. I saw a game there bout 5 or 6 years ago, shortly after he moved there, it was Stanford I think, and the place was rock'n. Should be a good test, just hope it's not a National embarrassment. :(

I've hated Nebraska with every fiber of my being for as long as I can remember, so I for one, was thrilled when they joined the conference. Don't like the school; never have, never will. I do respect what you've got there in Lincoln. The fans are knowledgeable and for the most part, gracious hosts. I am going to have to ask that you apologize for Larry the Cable Guy before I'll officially welcome you.

I've hated Nebraska with every fiber of my being for as long as I can remember, so I for one, was thrilled when they joined the conference. Don't like the school; never have, never will. I do respect what you've got there in Lincoln. The fans are knowledgeable and for the most part, gracious hosts. I am going to have to ask that you apologize for Larry the Cable Guy before I'll officially welcome you.
Larry (Dan Whitney) grew up less than an hour from me in Pawnee City. He came from absolutely nothing and figured a way to make a few million. I've never gone to one of his concerts or anything but you know you would have done the same thing if people were waving those kinds of dollars at you. Get er done! Sorry can't apologize for his success, just don't listen to him - that's the way I deal with Jeff Foxworthy! :)
Sorry you have such deep set hatred for Nebraska but I grew up though all of the success of the 70's, 80's and 90's and you either loved and admired Nebraska or hated their success. I'll assume you were one of those that got tired of all the wins and just wanted to see us loose... and loose big! Should have been following us 5 or 6 years ago with Callahan... you would have loved it. :)

Glenn Mason was a good head coach but was an even better offensive coordinator..... with our stout running game, we were only a defense away from 2 rose bowls.... and countless blown leads in the 4th quarter. He did have two big wins, at PSU and at Michigan. I remember exactly where I was for both games and also remember it being the happiest I ever was as a Gopher fan. The program was fed up with blown losses (most notably to Texas Tech in the Insight Bowl) and needed a change... Tim "we goin' to the rose bowl" Brewster wasn't it. Jerry Kill is likely the answer.

Welcome to the 'HOLE', glad to have ya over here!

Glenn Mason was a good head coach but was an even better offensive coordinator..... with our stout running game, we were only a defense away from 2 rose bowls.... and countless blown leads in the 4th quarter. He did have two big wins, at PSU and at Michigan. I remember exactly where I was for both games and also remember it being the happiest I ever was as a Gopher fan. The program was fed up with blown losses (most notably to Texas Tech in the Insight Bowl) and needed a change... Tim "we goin' to the rose bowl" Brewster wasn't it. Jerry Kill is likely the answer.

Welcome to the 'HOLE', glad to have ya over here!

I think you've really got a winner with Kill, the guy has had great success at every level, he'll just need some time to implement his system. The most difficult thing to give a new coach is patience and understanding, fans want things changed and don't want any excuses but it does take time. Don't feel too bad about loosing to Texas Tech, wasn't Leach their coach then? He gave our program some major headaches when we had Callahan as HC.... scored 70 something on us, more points than had EVER been put up on us before. He was a crafty old pirate and an offensive genius.
Thanks for the welcome.
HuskerFlag.gif

I'm trying to remember if Fromo's post said anything about Glen Mason

Poorly written post by me to you trying to bust your balls. You stated a hate for Iowa and Formo responded with a virtual "thumbs up", and then you gave some credit to Glen Mason (a black hole of discussions and petty infighting here) and I was trying to pile on at that point. I read Formo's post and have no recollection if Formo did or did not reference Grinnin' Glen in his post, but you just don't want to go down that road here. When you wrote "duly noted, no more mention of Mason" that is just the right tack to take in here.

Just keep showing up, and it will all work out.

Poorly written post by me to you trying to bust your balls. You stated a hate for Iowa and Formo responded with a virtual "thumbs up", and then you gave some credit to Glen Mason (a black hole of discussions and petty infighting here) and I was trying to pile on at that point. I read Formo's post and have no recollection if Formo did or did not reference Grinnin' Glen in his post, but you just don't want to go down that road here. When you wrote "duly noted, no more mention of Mason" that is just the right tack to take in here.

Just keep showing up, and it will all work out.

Cool beans!
You didn't mention if you and your Nebraska wife will be at the Bank on October 22nd when the Huskers come to town? Who does she root for?:eek:;)

Glen Mason provided the LAST competetive teams that the Gophers had...

and, was the LAST Gopher Coach in a very long while to beat EVERY Big Ten team including Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State. I was in the Horshshoe in Columbus and in the Big House in Ann Arbor for those rare Gopher wins that Mason directed. I'll probably not return to either of those stadiums...I saw my Gophers win and that's the way I want to always remember those two stadiums... He also provided bowl game wins over Oregon, Alabama and Arkansas. A few of the posters around here are just poor sports about Glen Mason. He was a pretty fair coach. Minnesota is a tough place to win at. Our program has pretty much been a Coach killer. (Best wishes to Coach Kill! Maybe he will be the coach to kill the "coach killer" reputation of the University of Minnesota Football Program.) The administrators here at Minnesota even fired Bernie Bierman (5 National Championships) and Murray Warmath (our last NC in 1960.)

Some of the younger fans around here just really don't quite comprehend the fact that winning big in the Big Ten is not an easy task. With the addition of Penn State...and now Nebraska, that task became even MORE difficult. A Big Ten schedule is a very brutal thing. Even in a year when you can get by Ohio State and Michigan and a couple of others...a PSU or MSU or wisky or iowa or even a Northwestern (also known for decades in the Big Ten as NU..as I know Nebraska is known as NU) or a Minnesota on a given Saturday can spring a big surprise. Sometimes it's that fifth...or sixth...or seventh or even eighth Big TenConference game that can surprise you.

Nebraska will be a GREAT addition to the Big Ten and brings so much tradition and so many great fans into the conference. I believe that most everyone in the conference feels the stature of the conference just greatly increased with the addition of Nebraska.

But, don't let them fool you here on GH. Not everyone around here failed to appreciate what Glen Mason brought to the Golden Gopher Football Program. Being competetive in Big Ten Play was a good thing. I know that I used to LOVE to go to Big Ten Campus settings for Game Day Saturday road games. I did see the Gophers win in Columbus, Ann Arbor, and other Big Ten stadiums under the guidance of Glen Mason.

I look forward to having Nebraska in the Conference. Do you suppose that Nebraska will ever add a hockey program to join the new Big Ten Hockey Conference? I know UNO has Division I Hockey...how about the Huskers?

Welcome to the Conference!

; 0 )

Cool beans!
You didn't mention if you and your Nebraska wife will be at the Bank on October 22nd when the Huskers come to town? Who does she root for?:eek:;)

Please...She's GBR all the way. My house will be filled with vagabonds travelling north, wearing red. I'm not looking forward to it, they will be outnumbering me in MY OWN HOUSE.

Please understand that these are good people, many of them were in my wedding. They are through and through Huskers, and all live in Lincoln. She was at MARZ (or Marz, did they ever get rid of that ratty banner?) tonight.

I've gotten my boys to refer to the red weasels, hogeyes, and green bay packers as the "Dirty Stinking Cheating Badgers/Hogeyes/Packers" but in deference to my wife, I will never say anything bad about UNL.

I have a flagpole in the front yard, and every game day there is a Minnesota flag and a Nebraska flag flying. Although, the Minnesota flag is on top and a bit larger than the Nebraska flag. The bride has not caught onto that yet. Well...the "N" stands for Nowledge, right?

You can take the girl outa Nebraska but you'll never get Nebraska outa the girl. :) I hear stories all the time of situations just like yours and it sounds like you've found a system that works... and it's OK to have a second favorite team, it's only really tough on the VS date - when the 2 play. :)
Thanks for the ignore advice but in all my years on the Husker board I've never had to use it. I read what I want, believe what I want, realize some things just ain't worth responding to, and comment on those I feel relevant. Again, thanks for the advice - I appreciate all good intentions but I'm just a guest here to talk about Minnesota football and the big10 conference. Peace out.

Hey imthewalrus...... Coo Coo Ka Choo

I seriously doubt there are any plans for a Hockey team at Nebraska but 2 years ago I would have never guessed we would be in the Big10 either. We have a hard enough time trying to put together a competitive basketball and baseball program.... we don't even know how to play hockey. :(

Thanks for the welcome

Larry (Dan Whitney) grew up less than an hour from me in Pawnee City. He came from absolutely nothing and figured a way to make a few million. I've never gone to one of his concerts or anything but you know you would have done the same thing if people were waving those kinds of dollars at you. Get er done! Sorry can't apologize for his success, just don't listen to him - that's the way I deal with Jeff Foxworthy! :)
Sorry you have such deep set hatred for Nebraska but I grew up though all of the success of the 70's, 80's and 90's and you either loved and admired Nebraska or hated their success. I'll assume you were one of those that got tired of all the wins and just wanted to see us loose... and loose big! Should have been following us 5 or 6 years ago with Callahan... you would have loved it. :)
I'm just messing with you. Larry's an easy target. I actually find his show on the History Network rather entertaining.
Don't have a reason for hating Nebraska, just like I don't have a reason for loving Notre Dame. The Cornhuskers are a one-trick pony, but it's a damn good trick.

Top Bottom