Players who earned notice against USC

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Reaction score
All the talk is about Max Shortell, but the new player who stood out in my mind was WR Marcus Jones. I believe he had our two longest receptions of the game, including one leaping, sprawling snag that will be on the year-end highlight video.

Who have you got?

Tinsley was very good. Clear number one player who earned notice to me.

Tinsley was very good. Clear number one player who earned notice to me.

Not a new player, but I agree that he was the player of the game for us. He was all over the place.

New players who stood out--both Jones and Moulton (after his drop).

Moulton and Jones made some very nice catches. I feel MUCH better about our WR's now.

Moulton and Jones made some very nice catches. I feel MUCH better about our WR's now.

Agreed, at least from what I saw Saturday. I think after those top three, though, the depth seems to drop off. Let's hope we can miss the injury bug.

Agreed, at least from what I saw Saturday. I think after those top three, though, the depth seems to drop off. Let's hope we can miss the injury bug.

-Mcknight
-Moulton
-Jones
-Green

I count at least 4 (if healthy) that have shown potential to be reliable B10 receivers

-Mcknight
-Moulton
-Jones
-Green

I count at least 4 (if healthy) that have shown potential to be reliable B10 receivers

Agree. Hopefully we'll get to see some of Harris this week as well to see if he can provide us some more depth.

For those not yet convinced on Kill's recruiting ability, Jones and Moulton should be changing your minds.

-Mcknight
-Moulton
-Jones
-Green

I'm curious about Harris and Keise as well. We are inexperienced, but I'm optimistic about our potential.

- Not breaking news, but Stoudamire is a stud.
- Vereen is a solid tackler, will continue to need to work on his coverage skills. Love his effort, though.
- I really thought the DTs played well. Really controlled the middle of the line. Most of the yards (which weren't that many) USC gained on the ground were on runs to the edge.

I was just going to mention Troy Stoudemire but Josh beat me to it. I thought Kyle Henderson had a few nice plays except the 3rd and long he got beat for in the 4th.

just think, if we had had these coaches for the last four years we would be talking about two wins in a row over USC.

All the talk is about Max Shortell, but the new player who stood out in my mind was WR Marcus Jones. I believe he had our two longest receptions of the game, including one leaping, sprawling snag that will be on the year-end highlight video.

Who have you got?

Too bad Shortell didn't throw it too high for him on that play, it would have been fun to see what he could have done in the open field. He was wide open.

Too bad Shortell didn't throw it too high for him on that play, it would have been fun to see what he could have done in the open field. He was wide open.

It would have been six, but I was still pretty happy with the throw and the catch.

Ya know, I've got to give some props to Vereen. For getting owned by a league ready WR and coming back and making some plays in the second half - that took some poise. As with all Gopher football and basketball games, I like to converse with my television screen. During the first half, I kept yelling, "BROCK!!! NOOOOOO!" Fortunately, the second half of the game heard more comments like, "Atta boy Brock."

Still waiting for someone to step up at that second corner spot, hopefully he does. Don't have a lot of confidence in Henderson, although he does play pretty tough. Definitely have no confidence in Lewis at any DB spot, sorry kid.

It would have been six, but I was still pretty happy with the throw and the catch.

Yeah, even at the Coliseum you could see how open Jones was, and he was already moving like a rocket. My first thought when he caught it that was he was going to score, then he stumbled. MJ is going to make some spectacular plays before all is said and done.

Stoudamire, Vereen

- Not breaking news, but Stoudamire is a stud.
- Vereen is a solid tackler, will continue to need to work on his coverage skills. Love his effort, though.
- I really thought the DTs played well. Really controlled the middle of the line. Most of the yards (which weren't that many) USC gained on the ground were on runs to the edge.

I watched the game again last night, and was really impressed with Tinsley's play. But actually Troy Stoudamire impressed me almost just as much. The guy looks a lot stronger than last year, and throws his body around with force.

During the game I thought Vereen turned into the 2nd coming of Jamal Harris, but had a completely opposite opinion after watching it again. He was out of position (too much cushion) on some of the swing passes but he did a decent job on Woods.

I don't know about everyone else, but I feel more confident in our d-backs, d-line, punting and receivers than any time this calendar year. Obviously our o-line, kicking game :eek:, pass rush and 3rd-down defense still needs some work.

During the game I thought Vereen turned into the 2nd coming of Jamal Harris, but had a completely opposite opinion after watching it again. He was out of position (too much cushion) on some of the swing passes but he did a decent job on Woods.

Not to disagree, but I kind of disagree. He wasn't giving too much cushion because he wanted to...the corners were playing where the coaches were positioning them. You can see just before the second catch by Woods (the fabulous catch where he trapped it against the back of his helmet), that Kill waived Troy S (coverage this time) back after he lined up close for some bump coverage. I believe that early in the game, the defensive coaches were trying to figure out what different players were capable of in a live game situation, so they were playing conservatively to minimize the potential for big plays.

I don't know if they gained confidence in the D Backs, or that they felt the need to put their paws on the pedal to try to take that away, but I preferred the game plan in the 2nd half, and think that is the style the coaching staff is hoping to be able to run from here on out.

I believe Kill made the statement that they played the corners off the line to start in anticipation of a more vertical passing game.

Question

Vereen was our leading tackler with 13.

Does anybody have a link to individual tackles?

Does anybody have a link to stats that say how many plays each guy played?
For instance, Crawford Tufts was on the sideline...did he play? How many plays did other offensive line guys play besides the starters?

-Mcknight
-Moulton
-Jones
-Green

What's the deal with Xzavian Brandon? Haven't seen his name at all, just wondering about him.

Does anybody have a link to stats that say how many plays each guy played?
For instance, Crawford Tufts was on the sideline...did he play? How many plays did other offensive line guys play besides the starters?

Here is a link to the official game stats, including a participation report:

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2011-2012/uscminn.html

I don't think anyone keeps track of "# of plays played".

True freshmen listed in the participation report: Jones, Shortell, Wells, Olson, Goodger, and Amaefula

Tinsley to me was the POTG for the Gophs. He was all over the place during the 2nd half run.

I also liked...
- the entire OL on the 2nd half. Not so much in the first half with all of the mental and physical mistakes but that was a big turnaround.
- Bennett's blitz pick-ups during the Shortell TD drive
- seeing Brandon Green in the end zone. The past 2 years must have been tough on that guy with the constant injuries. Nice to see him contribute.

Interesting to note that 4 of our top five tacklers against USC were defensive backs. I know they passed a lot but this can not become a trend. We need to see the pass compleation percentage rate drop and start seeing our linebackers and especially our front four tighten up.
Go Gophers!

Also, anyone know the status of DB Tyrone Bouie? I know he redshirted last season, wondering if he is active this year?

Interesting to note that 4 of our top five tacklers against USC were defensive backs. I know they passed a lot but this can not become a trend. We need to see the pass compleation percentage rate drop and start seeing our linebackers and especially our front four tighten up.
Go Gophers!
when a teams offense is 65% short passing to the perimeter that will happen. SC rarely even tried to go up the middle of the field

One player I didn't notice was Michael Carter.Is he even going to contribute?I thought our d backs looked much improved from last year.Barkley and Woods were about as good a duo as you get in college football.Without a pass rush and to shut USC out in the second half was outstanding.

Top Bottom