PJ's Monday Press Conference Previews Iowa

60's Guy

Reaction score

A lot of tough circumstances with all the injuries and adversity we have to continually overcome.
We would have won except for the mistakes the players made.

A lot of tough circumstances with all the injuries and adversity we have to continually overcome.
We would have won except for the mistakes the players made.
Making excuses for his buddy.

WriterGoph it is not hard at all to believe that wouldn't be your takeaway. But 100% that was a major portion summarized of what he said during the 17 minutes..

He defended Sanford, he said we have scored 30 or more points in 6 games this year. (We have)
So, it is not the offense, it was the execution of it. We made too many mistakes.

He brought up injuries multiple times, the missed field goal, the penalties and the interceptions all more than once as to why we got beat. Freshmen in pass protection because of all the injuries etc etc

Gave Illinois a lot credit for being a really good football team more than once.

It seems like the Pandemic and the racial issues in Minneapolis have changed Fleck. I guess how can't it? But it seems like he's lost his edge a little bit to me. Like he has a softer side. I hope he gets that edge back in 2022. I think this program has regressed quite a bit in the last 2 years, but I can understand it somewhat considering the circumstances I just mentioned.

With all that being said, ya gotta think Fleck wants to beat Iowa really bad. He's never beat them and the way he reacted to the win over Nebraska this year makes me think he hasn't forgotten the 3 timeouts Ferentz called at the end of the game last year. As far as his press conference, I thought it was loaded with excuses. Obviously he was protecting his coaches and protecting his players, but all in all it sounded like a lot of excuses to me. Even if he somehow manages a win at Iowa, I give him about a 5% chance of beating Wisconsin. This is just not a fun team to watch in my opinion, and it's all because of the offense.

Too many softball questions that didn't even discuss the game they just had their clocks cleaned playing. I really wanted someone to ask about the play calling... there was one (kind of) and it was actually the first question but it wasn't real concise and gave him too many ways to go with it and he did, he went in so many directions without saying a thing.

These guys asking these questions evidently don't want to ask the tough ones. Not sure why they're there. Maybe they're not discussing this during breakfast?

I too think he's lost some of the edge (no thoughts on why, just seems like it to me as well) he had and it might be reflected in their recruiting class this year. I know people will say all these players have P5 offers BUT where is this class in average rating per player? They're 12th of 14 in conference. Not good for someone who was touted as a great recruiter.

I am still very happy he's the coach, just starting to see some cracks that I'm hoping don't become a major renovation project.

Last edited:

WTF! He is blaming the kicker more than his buddy Sanford. PJ must be thinking he is coaching NFL team. Even if that kicker made it it is still only 10. WTF is he talking about? Did he coach the game we all watched? Part of me really wants KF to beat the shit out of his crew. I hope either we win big or lose big. So Sanford/PJ apologists will have fewer excuses. The team made too many mistakes including hiring that airhead OC.

It seems like the Pandemic and the racial issues in Minneapolis have changed Fleck. I guess how can't it? But it seems like he's lost his edge a little bit to me. Like he has a softer side. I hope he gets that edge back in 2022. I think this program has regressed quite a bit in the last 2 years, but I can understand it somewhat considering the circumstances I just mentioned.

With all that being said, ya gotta think Fleck wants to beat Iowa really bad. He's never beat them and the way he reacted to the win over Nebraska this year makes me think he hasn't forgotten the 3 timeouts Ferentz called at the end of the game last year. As far as his press conference, I thought it was loaded with excuses. Obviously he was protecting his coaches and protecting his players, but all in all it sounded like a lot of excuses to me. Even if he somehow manages a win at Iowa, I give him about a 5% chance of beating Wisconsin. This is just not a fun team to watch in my opinion, and it's all because of the offense.
Loaded with excuses? Explaining reasons they failed is excuses? It’s explaining what happened to people who pay much less attention than those of us on Gopherhole. Being down 5 RB’s is not an excuse, it’s the truth that two freshmen are trying to run the ball let alone pass protect. It’s a fact that the WR group has missed their top WR in multiple games. It’s a fact that they have scored over 30 in 6 games.
It’s a competition! The other team has D1 players and D1 coaches as well. Illinois has lost 3 B1G games by less than 6 points. Their defense was better than our offense last week and the only criticism should be that we didn’t adjust very well.
However, coaches don’t hold and miss kicks. Coaches don’t lose gap responsibility on stretch runs.
Coach says it’s on him and people bitch that he’s not sincere. Coach explains football and people say he’s throwing players under the bus. My God, we’re 6-3/4-2 and in a spot to prove how good we are over the next three weeks. If we lose, no doubt Fleck will review things and make adjustments.

I blame Vegas as we should have never been favored by 31 and 15 in the two games we were beaten.

I mean, what is he supposed to say?

"Yeah, that OC I hired really is stinking up the place with his terrible calls."

That's not a thing. You'd never say that, even if true.

Fleck will praise him until/if the moment he fires him. Then it will be "things just weren't quite working out the way we hoped, and it was time to take another direction." That's Fleck.

I mean, what is he supposed to say?

"Yeah, that OC I hired really is stinking up the place with his terrible calls."

That's not a thing. You'd never say that, even if true.

Fleck will praise him until/if the moment he fires him. Then it will be "things just weren't quite working out the way we hoped, and it was time to take another direction." That's Fleck.
Fleck even gave a response in saying he thought they could stay within the game plan until about 9 minutes left. That's when they went to more up tempo. He isn't wrong, but in hindsight probably should have changed things up sooner. Execution killed them. How many drops, how many holding calls, how many stuffed runs? It was a complete disaster on offense. So odd from a team that can put up 30+ in 6 games.

What a weird takeaway

You are correct, the program hasn’t matched is best season in the last 50 years during the last two seasons.

100%

Just like all the other P5 programs, ours has blowhard fans too. OL and pass protection was awful, QB wasn't sharp, receivers were not sharp. Our offense executed poorly, the play calling was questionable. 0-1 on the Illinois season and the gophers have lost a bunch of steam heading down to Iowa City. I know everybody is disappointed but nobody more so than the players and coaches. Giving PJ the "what have you done for me lately?" treatment is stupid. The guy is a good coach and has something going on here.

The reality of CFB is that outside of a few elite teams, anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday, especially in this crazy 2021 season. It sucks that we've been on the wrong side of this twice this year, but I'm not sure that's a sign that our program is falling apart like some would make it seem.

Loaded with excuses? Explaining reasons they failed is excuses? It’s explaining what happened to people who pay much less attention than those of us on Gopherhole. Being down 5 RB’s is not an excuse, it’s the truth that two freshmen are trying to run the ball let alone pass protect. It’s a fact that the WR group has missed their top WR in multiple games. It’s a fact that they have scored over 30 in 6 games.
It’s a competition! The other team has D1 players and D1 coaches as well. Illinois has lost 3 B1G games by less than 6 points. Their defense was better than our offense last week and the only criticism should be that we didn’t adjust very well.
However, coaches don’t hold and miss kicks. Coaches don’t lose gap responsibility on stretch runs.
Coach says it’s on him and people bitch that he’s not sincere. Coach explains football and people say he’s throwing players under the bus. My God, we’re 6-3/4-2 and in a spot to prove how good we are over the next three weeks. If we lose, no doubt Fleck will review things and make adjustments.

I blame Vegas as we should have never been favored by 31 and 15 in the two games we were beaten.
Name the 5 RB's. The 2 playing now are the 3rd and 4th best since the start of the season. Try and tell me Bryce Williams is better, better pass pro, ok, but it's not like #8 just got here. They had the full complement of receivers this game. 1 WR goes out and can't score at home vs Illinois? You're down 14-0 in the 4th quarter and a missed 45 yard field has anything to do with anything? How many Big Ten teams, in their home stadium, has Illinois held to 7 points? PJ is covering for his guys and his coaches in that press conference and that's fine by me. I'm sure he's not doing that behind closed doors. They were down more players in other games and have played much better. The most blame falls on the OC, after that it's on the head coach. I've been saying since last season I'd be more worried about the offense than the defense. I've been saying since the BG game Sanford will be gone after the season, Fleck can't afford not to let him go.

The reality of CFB is that outside of a few elite teams, anyone can beat anyone on any given Saturday, especially in this crazy 2021 season. It sucks that we've been on the wrong side of this twice this year, but I'm not sure that's a sign that our program is falling apart like some would make it seem.
What will you say if they lose on Saturday?

Let's say that we hold Iowa to 13 points, and less than 180 total yards, but still lose.

Fleck even gave a response in saying he thought they could stay within the game plan until about 9 minutes left. That's when they went to more up tempo. He isn't wrong, but in hindsight probably should have changed things up sooner. Execution killed them. How many drops, how many holding calls, how many stuffed runs? It was a complete disaster on offense. So odd from a team that can put up 30+ in 6 games.
The Gophers offense is averaging 25 points a game this season, and I would bet the majority of defenses they've played against are not in the top 50 in the nation. Ohio St. is a much, much better defense than when Minnesota played them.

What will you say if they lose on Saturday?

Let's say that we hold Iowa to 13 points, and less than 180 total yards, but still lose.
I’ll be disappointed/frustrated/sad, but again I don’t take it as a sign that this program is going nowhere. Long term approach.

The Gophers offense is averaging 25 points a game this season, and I would bet the majority of defenses they've played against are not in the top 50 in the nation. Ohio St. is a much, much better defense than when Minnesota played them.
Purdue 16th in scoring defense
Ohio state 19th
Nebraska 29th
Illinois 31st
Miami 54th
Colorado 66th
Northwestern 68th
Maryland 98th
Bowling green 100th (this game is still nuts)

You are correct, the program hasn’t matched is best season in the last 50 years during the last two seasons.

100%
Because that's what I said. 9-7 since the 2019 season. You should google "regressed quite a bit" vs "matched".

Purdue 16th in scoring defense
Ohio state 19th
Nebraska 29th
Illinois 31st
Miami 54th
Colorado 66th
Northwestern 68th
Maryland 98th
Bowling green 100th (this game is still nuts)
Yep, I was right, that's a majority. I'd also venture to say if MN played Ohio St. after they changed play callers on the defensive side they'd be held under 20 points.

Yep, I was right, that's a majority. I'd also venture to say if MN played Ohio St. after they changed play callers on the defensive side they'd be held under 20 points.
Maybe. I’d venture to guess if Mo didn’t play against Ohio state they’d have held Mn under 20 as well

Because that's what I said. 9-7 since the 2019 season. You should google "regressed quite a bit" vs "matched".
Yeah. I’m saying you are right. They haven’t matched

you’re spot on. Good take

i am agreeing with you

WriterGoph it is not hard at all to believe that wouldn't be your takeaway. But 100% that was a major portion summarized of what he said during the 17 minutes..

He defended Sanford, he said we have scored 30 or more points in 6 games this year. (We have)
So, it is not the offense, it was the execution of it. We made too many mistakes.

He brought up injuries multiple times, the missed field goal, the penalties and the interceptions all more than once as to why we got beat. Freshmen in pass protection because of all the injuries etc etc

Gave Illinois a lot credit for being a really good football team more than once.
So what are you looking for that wasn't there?

I rewatched the first 3 minutes and it is a very fair assessment of what happened in that game. We didn't execute, we made a lot of mistakes, we had a number of penalties at key times, we missed some kicks, we gave up a ton of sacks.....all those things actually happened on the field.

I know there are some that think there is some magic want that the play callers can wave and suddenly all the plays will just work perfectly and the offense will steamroll down the field but it doesn't work like that in real life.

Bottom line is we did not play well on the offensive side of the ball especially. The coaches absolutely share in the blame but in the end it is on the players to make the plays. Your offense doesn't change drastically from week to week, for the most part you do the same things in every game you just add wrinkles or make adjustments as to what you feel will work against a given opponent.

The offense we run has done pretty well in most of the games, unfortunately it has fallen apart in a few others. Hopefully we can find some consistency against Iowa, make some plays early and get to the point where we force them to play catchup against us. When we get in that position we are a really tough team to beat, just as when teams get us behind we are a much easier team to beat.

So what are you looking for that wasn't there?

I rewatched the first 3 minutes and it is a very fair assessment of what happened in that game. We didn't execute, we made a lot of mistakes, we had a number of penalties at key times, we missed some kicks, we gave up a ton of sacks.....all those things actually happened on the field.

I know there are some that think there is some magic want that the play callers can wave and suddenly all the plays will just work perfectly and the offense will steamroll down the field but it doesn't work like that in real life.

Bottom line is we did not play well on the offensive side of the ball especially. The coaches absolutely share in the blame but in the end it is on the players to make the plays. Your offense doesn't change drastically from week to week, for the most part you do the same things in every game you just add wrinkles or make adjustments as to what you feel will work against a given opponent.

The offense we run has done pretty well in most of the games, unfortunately it has fallen apart in a few others. Hopefully we can find some consistency against Iowa, make some plays early and get to the point where we force them to play catchup against us. When we get in that position we are a really tough team to beat, just as when teams get us behind we are a much easier team to beat.

I usually agree with your takes but there is no way to look at the BG and IL games and think the coaches gave the players a good chance to succeed and at times zero chance to succeed. It really is inexcusable at this point.

The median offense scores about 29 points per game. As you noted the team is well below that already and unless something changes on offense will finish lower than that with pretty high certainty.

We can win a lot of games with good defense and special teams but we only have one leg of the tripod working right now.

Never say never. Bated breath for the Kinnick date. C’mon guys.

I usually agree with your takes but there is no way to look at the BG and IL games and think the coaches gave the players a good chance to succeed and at times zero chance to succeed. It really is inexcusable at this point.
The coaches absolutely share in the blame. The offense struggles when playing from behind when teams are able to force them out of their comfort zone. But I also don't look at BG and ILL the same way. I absolutely think against BG there was a case of taking the opponent lightly at play with the coaches/players/gameplan. I don't think that was the case against Illinois.

Some want to hang the losses entirely on the coaches and that is BS. That first INT that Illinois got was on a good play call, dude just got a hand on it and caused the INT. Complete that pass and the drive continues. Key holding calls and other mistakes derailed other drives as well. There were multiple times where lineman just flat out got beat (70 was brutal in the 2nd half especially). RB missed blitz pickups, Morgan made mistakes, receivers dropped passes.....it is a cop out to just blame the play calling and the OC. The players have to execute on the field and on Saturday they didn't do that in a lot of key situations.

Illinois has a good defense and we didn't execute against them. Lots of blame to go around but those who want to pin it all on the coaching staff are not being realistic because it is way more than just the gameplan/play calling that caused us to lose that game on Saturday.

The coaches absolutely share in the blame. The offense struggles when playing from behind when teams are able to force them out of their comfort zone. But I also don't look at BG and ILL the same way. I absolutely think against BG there was a case of taking the opponent lightly at play with the coaches/players/gameplan. I don't think that was the case against Illinois.

Some want to hang the losses entirely on the coaches and that is BS. That first INT that Illinois got was on a good play call, dude just got a hand on it and caused the INT. Complete that pass and the drive continues. Key holding calls and other mistakes derailed other drives as well. There were multiple times where lineman just flat out got beat (70 was brutal in the 2nd half especially). RB missed blitz pickups, Morgan made mistakes, receivers dropped passes.....it is a cop out to just blame the play calling and the OC. The players have to execute on the field and on Saturday they didn't do that in a lot of key situations.

Illinois has a good defense and we didn't execute against them. Lots of blame to go around but those who want to pin it all on the coaching staff are not being realistic because it is way more than just the gameplan/play calling that caused us to lose that game on Saturday.
I’d disagree it’s a cop out. I’m not blaming only the coaches as there were various miscues from individuals (as always in every game) but in your heart of hearts do you really feel like that was a good game plan? That they “took what the defense gave them”?. The object of ridicule right now is of course Mike Sanford Jr, but obviously PJF will lose the support and confidence of more fans going forward if this continues.

There is a pattern here, IMO. The most alarming thing is Sanford seemingly cannot think on his feet. It’s baffling.

I’d disagree it’s a cop out. I’m not blaming only the coaches as there were various miscues from individuals (as always in every game) but in your heart of hearts do you really feel like that was a good game plan? That they “took what the defense gave them”?. The object of ridicule right now is of course Mike Sanford Jr, but obviously PJF will lose the support and confidence of more fans going forward if this continues.

There is a pattern here, IMO. The most alarming thing is Sanford seemingly cannot think on his feet. It’s baffling.
I think our offense this year is as old and dry as Jim Tressel. We are supposedly playing to our strengths with our powerful O-Line and our running game. Even though our running game is down to the last two scholarship RBs on the roster and a back-up Linebacker. The running game is somehow our strength still? How about involving those running backs in the passing game a little? Do something with a little creativity please!

Last edited:

Top Bottom