PJ's Monday Press Conference Previews Iowa

It seems like the Pandemic and the racial issues in Minneapolis have changed Fleck. I guess how can't it? But it seems like he's lost his edge a little bit to me. Like he has a softer side. I hope he gets that edge back in 2022. I think this program has regressed quite a bit in the last 2 years, but I can understand it somewhat considering the circumstances I just mentioned.

I think there is some truth to this. Minneapolis has always been a difficult place to recruit to, then COVID/George Floyd happened 3-5 months after the best Gophers season in over 50 years. That likely took a lot of the momentum he would have had under normal circumstances.

The last 20 months has taken a toll on a lot of people who live and work in Minneapolis. It's currently a different place than when Fleck arrived. I don't think it's a coincidence that he signed the extension the day after the election last week.

I’d disagree it’s a cop out. I’m not blaming only the coaches as there were various miscues from individuals (as always in every game) but in your heart of hearts do you really feel like that was a good game plan? That they “took what the defense gave them”?. The object of ridicule right now is of course Mike Sanford Jr, but obviously PJF will lose the support and confidence of more fans going forward if this continues.

There is a pattern here, IMO. The most alarming thing is Sanford seemingly cannot think on his feet. It’s baffling.
I would love to see Fleck/Sanford develop a more aggressive mindset on offense in general.

As for how good or bad the gameplan was/was not.....honest answer is that I don't know. Coaches for both teams spend tons of hours watching film of themselves and opponents in an effort to figure out the best way to attack an opponent. Illinois found something they could exploit in our offense and our players/coaches weren't able to counter it. Tons of blame to go around for what happened in that game.

I won't be crushed if Sanford is not back as the OC next year, I just don't believe for one second that he is the entire problem with the offense. Our O-Line got their butts kicked by Illinois, that shouldn't happen with a group that experienced, but it did.

Top Bottom