PJ Fleck Podcast

tjgopher

Reaction score
Stumbled across this, Fleck joined Grimm on a podcast this week. Some good stuff in there on a lot of topics, nothing mind-blowing, but a lot interesting. Most interesting (to me) was PJ saying he is more mellow in the new era of NIL because he is learning to worry less about what he can't control. He said "control is for amateurs," which seems to me a concession I never thought I'd hear him make.

Stumbled across this, Fleck joined Grimm on a podcast this week. Some good stuff in there on a lot of topics, nothing mind-blowing, but a lot interesting. Most interesting (to me) was PJ saying he is more mellow in the new era of NIL because he is learning to worry less about what he can't control. He said "control is for amateurs," which seems to me a concession I never thought I'd hear him make.

There's a difference between control and gameplan.

I think if anything, you need a contingency plan for the contingency plan for the contingency plan nowadays. Recent signs are that we have a coach who can do that, at least when it comes to recruiting and NIL. Gameday stuff will come, Fleck is still young. The week to week stuff is what's important, it seems like he's got that managed to this point.

Thank you for posting this podcast link...🙂

This was really good. I believe this program is heading in the right direction and I also believe this 2024 team shock a lot of people.

I hope his statement of "control is for amateurs" extends to how he handles having the lead in games.

Tressel/Fleck ball is all about controlling the clock by controlling the ball. However, it's clear that while that can still be very effective, sometimes you are facing an opponent that doesn't need a lot of time to score and catch up to your lead and no amount of controlling the ball or the clock is going to prevent that. If a team can score fast against your defense consistently, you have to do the same to have any chance of winning. This means occasionally relinquishing the "control" aspect of Fleck ball in favor of "attack".

He spoke very highly of Drake Lindsey, even saying he's closed the gap on Max Brosmer. I would imagine the plan is for Lindsey to start next season assuming Max is healthy and performs adequately

Interesting to note, he talked about how players spend their NIL money. Max Brosmer taking his teammates out to a Braves game. Charitable giving was also mentioned. Something I hadn't actually thought about with regard to NIL.

He spoke very highly of Drake Lindsey, even saying he's closed the gap on Max Brosmer. I would imagine the plan is for Lindsey to start next season assuming Max is healthy and performs adequately
That's where the "control is for amateurs" part comes in. Who knows if Lindsey will even be on the 2025 roster? There is barely any future planning for rosters left.

There's a great chance the 2025 starting QB is someone not currently with the program and not on our radar. If I had to bet even money on Drake Lindsey or The Field (guys not currently with the program), I'm taking The Field.

That's where the "control is for amateurs" part comes in. Who knows if Lindsey will even be on the 2025 roster? There is barely any future planning for rosters left.

There's a great chance the 2025 starting QB is someone not currently with the program and not on our radar. If I had to bet even money on Drake Lindsey or The Field (guys not currently with the program), I'm taking The Field.
Maybe PJ is thinking on the same wave length and says if we start Lindsey this year I think we'll have him for 3 years?

Maybe PJ is thinking on the same wave length and says if we start Lindsey this year I think we'll have him for 3 years?
That's an idea, but then he can't do too good or he might end up transferring to LSU or something. That's why this is all messed up. Sit the kid and he gets frustrated and transfers. If he kicks ass and over-performs he might transfer too.

I suppose the Gophers have only had one "transfer up" in this era - Bucky Irving. I suppose "control is for amateurs" is just a statement of acceptance that guys are gonna leave, the Gophers are going to poach guys too, and that's just the new reality.

Top Bottom