PJ Fleck Pizza Commercial

So I tried Red's Savoy... it was good, but I'm not sure if I'll order from there again.

I got two of their specialty pizzas, and a free garlic bread for singing up.

It's a cut above the lowest level pizza of Pizza Hut, Little Ceasars, etc (granted... I'll happily eat that pizza too).

However, the price is a bit high for what it is IMO. There's a local place that makes the same kind of pizza as far as crust, sauce, etc goes, and it is pretty much on par with Red's price wise, but WAY superior in taste and execution. Red's seems like one of those "I get where you're going with this product, but it's just not quite ... there kinda thing."

Savoy's pizza sauce is better than excellent. It's the best. Anyone who doesn't like it doesn't know a good pizza from a bad one.

All this talk about pizza is making my mouth water. I am tempted to go try Red Savoy pizza! It's on my bucket list. The only thing is that they don't have anchovies listed. All well, I don't like a whole lot and I can put some on my pizza from a can. No one else in my family will touch it.

What type of crust does Red Savoy Pizza 'Sota Style have? I like thin crust, or ones that are chewy but not too doughy that it dominates the pizza. Something that you can pick up with ease or it can be folded and where you are tasting the ingredients more than the dough.

What I like a lot are those wood-fired kiln(?) pizzas. While on a family vacation about seven years ago in Colorado, we stopped in Golden to take a tour of the Coors Brewery. We stopped a Woody's Wood-fired Pizza afterwards. That was the best pizza I've had in a while. The crust they was just perfect. Especially after a brewery tour.

I thought there is a place somewhere in Minneapolis that makes pizza in a wood-fired kiln. It was on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on the Food Network with Guy Fieri. I don't remember the name.

If you are by Lake Nokomis, check out Fat Lorenzo's. They have surprisingly good pizza and other food. Mrs H and I would sit outdoors and enjoy the day. They are on the south side of Lake Nokomis on the right corner of Cedar Avenue and Edgewater Blvd (a block past West Lake Nokomis Parkway).

Last edited:

What I like a lot are those wood-fired kiln(?) pizzas. While on a family vacation about seven years ago in Colorado, we stopped in Golden to take a tour of the Coors Brewery. We stopped a Woody's Wood-fired Pizza afterwards. That was the best pizza I've had in a while. The crust they was just perfect. Especially after a brewery tour.
Make it to Surly before they close.
IMG_20200906_153257.jpg

All this talk about pizza is making my mouth water. I am tempted to go try Red Savoy pizza! It's on my bucket list. The only thing is that they don't have anchovies listed. All well, I don't like a whole lot and I can put some on my pizza from a can. No one else in my family will touch it.

What type of crust does Red Savoy Pizza 'Sota Style have? I like thin crust, or ones that are chewy but not too doughy that it dominates the pizza. Something that you can pick up with ease or it can be folded and where you are tasting the ingredients more than the dough.

I thought there is a place somewhere in Minneapolis that makes pizza in a wood-fired kiln. It was on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on the Food Network with Guy Fieri. I don't remember the name.

If you are by Lake Nokomis, check out Fat Lorenzo's. They have surprisingly good pizza and other food. Mrs H and I would sit outdoors and enjoy the day. They are on the south side of Lake Nokomis on the right corner of Cedar Avenue and Edgewater Blvd (a block past West Lake Nokomis Parkway).

Red's is sorta like "Chicago Style Thin Crust" ... but without being super crispy... it's not super thick or chewy.

Surly's is closing?
They're closing "indefinitely" in November. That could mean forever. Or it could mean the operation looks very different when they come back. They laid off their entire staff.

Obviously they will stay closed for the winter or until there is a vaccine and people are willing to eat inside again.

They're closing "indefinitely" in November. That could mean forever. Or it could mean the operation looks very different when they come back. They laid off their entire staff.

Obviously they will stay closed for the winter or until there is a vaccine and people are willing to eat inside again.

Grew up with the St Paul and Newport locations, and was by far my favorite food ever. Last time I came back to the Twin Cities, I found out the St Paul location was gone, but had not so luckily found out they were starting to chain out and found one in Woodbury. It seemed like a dream at first site. They had a buffet, and frozen pizzas you could bring home. The buffet was closed, so I didn't get to try that, but I imagine it had to be worse than the awful fresh pizza I ordered. I had originally planned on buying at least 10 frozen pizzas to bring 3 hours home because its rare when I can get my favorite hometown food, but took a hard pass on the fozen pie after having the fresh pie.

To be a world class pizza the cheese needs to complement the crust, not overpower everything like so many "MN style" pizzas (Carbone's, Savoy, Pagliai's, etc.). But if you just want to get full and you'll be drinking a bunch of beer with it it works well.

To be a world class pizza the cheese needs to complement the crust, not overpower everything like so many "MN style" pizzas (Carbone's, Savoy, Pagliai's, etc.). But if you just want to get full and you'll be drinking a bunch of beer with it it works well.
Wait, so the cheese doesn't belong on the crust, in the crust, below the crust, is the crust?

Last edited:

Top Bottom