PJ Fleck on beating Wisconsin after losing to Iowa: ...well we’ve beaten Wisconsin twice and you all wanted me fired last week.

You don’t think he is going to be okay?
:LOL: I think he's going to be fine. What I don't think is that PJ had any intent when complaining about people "wanting him fired" after last week other than getting a chip off his shoulder. I think that was an emotional slip up to publicly complain the way he did.

:LOL: I think he's going to be fine. What I don't think is that PJ had any intent when complaining about people "wanting him fired" after last week other than a chip on his shoulder. I think that was an emotional slip up to publicly complain the way he did.
So you don’t disagree with what I said. You’re saying exactly what I said.

I don’t think it was a slip up though. He, like all coaches, is playing the chip on his shoulder deal.

So you don’t disagree with what I said. You’re saying exactly what I said.

I don’t think it was a slip up though. He, like all coaches, is playing the chip on his shoulder deal.
Nothing was gaining by the public complaint. If anything, it likely further alienated some people. It wasn't a smart move, but that doesn't surprise me given the source.

Nothing was gaining by the public complaint. If anything, it likely further alienated some people. It wasn't a smart move, but that doesn't surprise me given the source.
You have no idea if there is nothing gained. He could’ve been showing the team social media posts about the team all week as motivation?

You are right in saying maybe nothing was gained.
You are right in saying it maybe alienated someone.

Key word being maybe.
Maybe it gained him credibility with his assistants. With his wideouts. Maybe it didn’t.

It’s funny how people who accuse him of being thing skinned are so thin skinned. One guy (in a very mature way) called him a 12 year old girl! Lol

I mean cool and all, but Wisconsin isn't even the powerhouse it used to be. Hell, I'd even venture to say Iowa is in a better condition that Wisconsin is, and we just can not beat Iowa. Anyways, I don't want Fleck fired, but I wish he would change his stance on his play not to lose mentality. Like Athan's first start... he took the same exact strategy Kill did. By trying to be cautious, he limits the kids' chances by a lot. Even in games where his defenses kept him in and we caught up, he goes into conservative mode and it backfires. I really do hope that he sees Athan has a lot of potential, and yes Athan will make mistakes because he is young, but he really is something we haven't seen here in many many many years. So I hope he doesn't keep this conservative mentality up.

He could’ve been showing the team social media posts about the team all week as motivation?
He could do that and still not publicly whine about what a few people said about him.
It’s funny how people who accuse him of being thing skinned are so thin skinned. One guy (in a very mature way) called him a 12 year old girl! Lol
You're resorting to comparing the public words of a man getting paid millions a year to act as the face of the program......to online posts by fans?

I guess you and I have different standards on how we want our head coach to act in public.

He could do that and still not publicly whine about what a few people said about him.

You're resorting to comparing the public words of a man getting paid millions a year to act as the face of the program......to online posts by fans?

I guess you and I have different standards on how we want our head coach to act in public.
i guess we do.
You are thin skinned about off hand comments in a press conference and I don’t really care about them because they don’t matter

Yeah and one had him leaving...Fleck is not going anywhere anytime soon. Plus he's got to move into the new place and sell the other two!
You are right that PJ isn’t going anywhere. He never was (and shouldn’t). The fact that PJ doesn’t want to is not the only reason tho.

Honestly I don’t remember many displays of thin skin from PJ before this. I’m sure I’m missing some, but this seems like more of a rare moment to me.
Yeah I was going to say the game thing but didn't want to wade into the little disagreement going on here 😂 But I honestly can't remember one other instance of people saying that... And I can remember a lot of times he took the high road early in his tenure and again this year with all the Kill stuff. I do see it here though. He's clearly pissed they lost to Iowa again and was sensitive about it.

i guess we do.
You are thin skinned about off hand comments in a press conference and I don’t really care about them because they don’t matter
You have approximately 75 posts in this thread about the comments because you dont care about them.

Riiiigggghhhht.

You have no idea if there is nothing gained. He could’ve been showing the team social media posts about the team all week as motivation?
If the Strib knows they're going to get put on blast for their moronic comments. Maybe they'll stop making them.

Yeah I was going to say the game thing but didn't want to wade into the little disagreement going on here 😂 But I honestly can't remember one other instance of people saying that... And I can remember a lot of times he took the high road early in his tenure and again this year with all the Kill stuff. I do see it here though. He's clearly pissed they lost to Iowa again and was sensitive about it.
Yeah I think it was 1/2 him trying to be funny (it wasn’t) and 1/2 him making a passive-aggressive little dig. Not the end of the world, but kind of a dumb comment. Hasn’t quite stopped to the Jerry Kill level of “maybe they should just fire me” every time he got a slight criticism.

If the Strib knows they're going to get put on blast for their moronic comments. Maybe they'll stop making them.
Any publicity is good publicity (not true)

No idea if he planned it or not but it’s absolutely not a big negative deal that he said it. A throwaway comment in a press conference and they’re going to get segments on multiple local radio stations on it.

A ban on Strib content? Grow up. Win and more positive things are written. Lose and it skews negative. That's how big time sports work.
This isn't "big time sports"

The Gophers are a middling team in the worse of two divisions, in the second-best conference, of an amateur sport in which none of the players are paid to play, and most people only root for because they went to school there.

Moreover, PJ is already winning more than anyone can reasonably expect from a program that has fewer resources, fewer fans, and more competition than 90% of the teams they face off against week-to-week, and they are still putting him on blast.

Moreover, this is the same newspaper that called to fire Mason, the first >.500 coach the Gophers have had in decades.

Moreover, this is the same newspaper barely better than an internet blog, that made fun of Jerry Kill, who was a fine football coach, for his accent and because he had epilepsy.

Moreover, this is the same barely better than an internet blog rag, that has been relentlessly making fun of PJ despite a ridiculous degree of success at a bad football program. And when he had the gall to win 8 regular season games, instead of 9, started calling for his head, and started calling for him to pull the winning-est QB in Gopher history for a Freshman.

Yes, there should be a blanket ban on their content, because their content adds no value and does nothing but make you, and others, mad over nothing.

Last edited:

This isn't "big time sports"

The Gophers are a middling team in the worse of two divisions, in the second-best conference, of an amateur sport in which none of the players are paid to play, and most people only root for because they went to school there.

Moreover, PJ is already winning more than anyone can reasonably expect from a program that has fewer resources, fewer fans, and more competition than 90% of the teams they face off against week-to-week, and they are still putting him on blast.

Moreover, this is the same newspaper that called to fire Mason, the first >.500 coach the Gophers have had in decades.

Moreover, this is the same newspaper barely better than an internet blog, that made fun of Jerry Kill, who was a fine football coach, for his accent and because he had epilepsy.

Moreover, this is the same barely better than an internet blog rag, that has been relentlessly making fun of PJ despite a ridiculous degree of success at a bad football program. And when he had the gall to win 8 regular season games, instead of 9, started calling for his head, and started calling for him to pull the winning-est QB in Gopher history for a Freshman.

Yes, there should be a blanket ban on their content, because their content adds no value and does nothing but make you, and others, mad over nothing.
Not big time? The Billion dollar media rights package just signed indicates it is. Every game is a multi-million dollar enterprise in its own right.

Not sure where you think their coverage makes me "mad", quite a befuddling statement. If an opinion is stated that I disagree with, sure I will call it out, but that's it.

I don't recall any Strib writer ever calling for Fleck's head, if you can show me otherwise, apologies in advance.

Also he didn't take over a "bad" football program. They won 9 games the season prior, with the a new football stadium and practice facility.

If it their coverage makes one angry, then I suggest anyone that hyper-sensitive should ignore it.

I like Fleck. I want him to remain in charge for the foreseeable future. He overreacted.

He won Wisconsin and finished with 8-4 and hopefully 9-4. The Iowa loss still has me a grumpy and it sounds like the team and coaches were upset probably more than me. Comments like this, eh, I don't care. Gophers start having a losing record in the Big, then I'll care.

He won Wisconsin and finished with 8-4 and hopefully 9-4. The Iowa loss still has me a grumpy and it sounds like the team and coaches were upset probably more than me. Comments like this, eh, I don't care. Gophers start having a losing record in the Big, then I'll care.
I dislike Hawkeyes as much as I do the Badgers so it's a unsuccessful year when you don't beat them both. Even so PJ not everyone wants you fired!

Yes. Fleck wasn’t talking about media
You’re talking about Hartman.
I am talking about fleck

Some people wanted me fired
-fleck
No one in the media did
-Hartman

Both of those statements are true
Are Reusse and Souhan media?????

:LOL: I think he's going to be fine. What I don't think is that PJ had any intent when complaining about people "wanting him fired" after last week other than getting a chip off his shoulder. I think that was an emotional slip up to publicly complain the way he did.
Was it a complaint or was it to poke "those people" in the eye? Whether he thought it was media folks (maybe he was reading inbetween the lines if they didn't technically say it), or maybe he does read some of Twitter comments/GH?

It seemed more like that to me. "Oh you wanted me fired right? Well I just won the game, how bout them apples!!??"

from a program that has fewer resources, fewer fans, and more competition than 90% of the teams they face off against week-to-week
90% is an absurd exaggeration.

The only programs that you reasonably say have more resources and more fans than us on the regular season schedule are Mich State, Neb, Iowa, and Wisc. Maybe Purdue as well on the fans, don't think significantly more resources.

No idea what "more competition" than us means.

Top Bottom