PJ Fleck either changes/adapts or goes…

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
…the way of every other Gopher football coach of the last 55 years. He’s lost the hunger and intensity that got him to Minnesota, either he finds it or he goes the way of Timmy Brewster. He’s not smart enough to do well with average to mediocre coordinators.

Beholden to his offense even though he's never called plays.

…the way of every other Gopher football coach of the last 55 years. He’s lost the hunger and intensity that got him to Minnesota, either he finds it or he goes the way of Timmy Brewster. He’s not smart enough to do well with average to mediocre coordinators.
Hes lost the hunger and intensity?? Thats a ridiculous take

I've been a huge Fleck fan.
But he needs to change.

1. Stop playing not to lose. There is nothing elite about that mindset. This has to be the primary change.

2. Must recruit better. And I'm skeptical he can. If anything, recruiting seems to have declined.

3. Hire a legit GD offensive coordinator, one that can and will install and develop a dangerous passing game.

4. Demand more from your new special teams coach.

5. Cannot go into 2024 with AK as QB1. Can. Not.

Last edited:

Beholden to his offense even though he's never called plays.
This offense is completely different than last year. We are under center almost infinitely more

Saying something doesn’t make it true.

This offense is completely different than last year. We are under center almost infinitely more

Saying something doesn’t make it true.
Stop it.
They're under center half a dozen times per game

But he needs to change.

1. Stop playing not to lose. There is nothing elite about that mindset.

2. Must recruit better. And I'm skeptical he can. If anything, recruiting seems to have declined.

3. Hire a legit GD offensive coordinator, one that can and will install and develop a dangerous passing game.

Good summary.

Stop it.
They're under center half a dozen times per game
Schematically they are totally different
Formationally and run game is different

It’s fine if you don’t want to admit that

Fleck a was just outcoached, outplayed and outadjusted by the first-time head coach of a 2-7 team. This is pound for pound one of the most talented rosters UMN has ever had. The writing is on the wall… even as a Fleck supporter, if we ever want to get serious again we fire him. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

Offensively, it is. It’s obviously not playing like it.
Lol

I’ll have what you’re having.
No wonder you’re super disappointed!

I am disappointed this team is bad.
You are disappointed that this team is good but somehow keeps losing.

Lol

I’ll have what you’re having.
No wonder you’re super disappointed!

I am disappointed this team is bad.
You are disappointed that this team is good but somehow keeps losing.
It is and our coaching is continually kneecapping it’s potential.

I’ll grab a Golden Light from the fridge for you.

Fleck's philosophy works WHEN he has a solid defense - run the ball, try to get a lead, and count on the defense to close things out. Under Rossi, the defense has generally made that system work, with a few exceptions.

but this year, it's back to Robb Smith territory. the defense can't stop anyone, and the offense isn't good enough to win a high-scoring game.

So - if the defense does not get better, Fleck has to change his offensive philosophy in order to try and stay in games.

as noted in the OP, if Fleck is unwilling or unable to change, then either the Defense has to get a lot better, or the Gophers will be struggling to win 6 games and qualify for a low-level bowl game.

It is and our coaching is continually kneecapping it’s potential.

I’ll grab a Golden Light from the fridge for you.
Strongly disagree
The Qb is late and inaccurate
The RB doesn’t get yards after contact.
The WRs drop balls
This is the 4th best OL in the past 5 years at best.

Not sure what talent you are talking about

Fleck's philosophy works WHEN he has a solid defense - run the ball, try to get a lead, and count on the defense to close things out. Under Rossi, the defense has generally made that system work, with a few exceptions.

but this year, it's back to Robb Smith territory. the defense can't stop anyone, and the offense isn't good enough to win a high-scoring game.

So - if the defense does not get better, Fleck has to change his offensive philosophy in order to try and stay in games.

as noted in the OP, if Fleck is unwilling or unable to change, then either the Defense has to get a lot better, or the Gophers will be struggling to win 6 games and qualify for a low-level bowl game.
The offense has changed

Unfortunately the change doesn’t make the offense very good. Our base formations are different, our based route combos are different, our number one run play is different

The QB-receiver game has sputtered. They have to do better. Not sure what the route is.

Defense collapses have been stunning.

It won't next year or in the future, his philosophy only quasi works in the B1G West, which is obsolete in one week.

The QB-receiver game has sputtered. They have to do better. Not sure what the route is.

Defense collapses have been stunning.
Seems like the gophs receivers are never wide open, for the exception of 1-2 plays a game. They make some tough catches but obviously 50% of the time they don’t complete. Not sore if AK isnt reading the D correctly or if the WRs aren’t that good. The defense was the weak link today, usually 28 points would win a gopher game in the PJ Fleck era, but there is something definitely wrong with the passing game. Might be the play calling

Seems like the gophs receivers are never wide open, for the exception of 1-2 plays a game. They make some tough catches but obviously 50% of the time they don’t complete. Not sore if AK isnt reading the D correctly or if the WRs aren’t that good. The defense was the weak link today, usually 28 points would win a gopher game in the PJ Fleck era, but there is something definitely wrong with the passing game. Might be the play calling
Not sure what game you watched but there were open receivers all over the field today

Then they didn’t show it on tv. No receivers I saw were wide open
Go just rewatch the first drive and you’ll find the two you said occurred over the course of the whole game

Geez man open your eyes

Not sure what game you watched but there were open receivers all over the field today
If you want a definition of what I consider wide open, just
Go just rewatch the first drive and you’ll find the two you said occurred over the course of the whole game

Geez man open your eyes
if you want my definition of wide open, just watch the Purdue receivers all game. Your grasping at straws

But he needs to change.

1. Stop playing not to lose. There is nothing elite about that mindset. This has to be the primary change.

Very good summary. The offensive play calling has become so predictable and unsuccessful because of inconsistency at QB and Oline. It was like they hadnt worked together before whole secod half. He stands back there, holds the ball and cannot make a decision at times or he has zero to no time to make a play. Defensive line had there worst game against Purdue, against a bunch of back up players. Was or were there people missing? Could not set an edge or establish line of scrimmage. Lack of teamwork and communication. Played better against better backs. Linebackers, after #6 Baranowski got hurt it was complete chaos. Out of position, bad fits and positioning, totally lost in coverage, not taking on blocks or playing together, outside of #9 Williams, there isn't a guy that would start or play for the St Thomas Tommies let alone a Big 10 school. To be honest it looked like not one of them had ever played together or practiced together let a lone knowing the play calls. This position has been a bane all year. I'm not counting Lindenberg cause he has been hurt all year. Unfortunate #6 got hurt because he is good player and seems to be a leader.

Last edited:

Very good summary. The offensive plsy calling has become so predictable and unsuccessful because of inconsistency at QB. He stands back there, holds the ball and cannot make a decision or has no time. Defensive line had there worst game against Purdue against a bunch of back up players. Was or were there people missing? Could not set an edge or establish line of scrimmage. Linebackers, after #6 Baranowski got hurt it was complete chaos. Out of position, bad fits and positioning, totally lost in coverage, not taking on blocks or playing together, outside of #9 Williams, there isn't a guy that would start or the St Thomas Tommies let alone a Big 10 school. To be honest it looked like not one of them had ever played together or practiced together let a lone knowing the play calls. This position has been a bane all year.
We aren't playing to our QB's strengths, I'd argue coaching has done more to screw up Athan than he has the offense. OC: 85% QB: 15%.

Then they didn’t show it on tv. No receivers I saw were wide open
The problem isnt separation, it's a failure of the qb to go through his progression, especially in the second half. I clearly observed Kaliakmanis look to two options fairly consistently in the first half, second half he was locked in on the primary route as soon as he got the snap. That's both coaching and zero situational awareness by the single most important player on the field.

Top Bottom