Pitino quote from Marcus Fuller

No matter how enthusiastic of a fan you are, you have to admit there are a LOT of questions marks about next year's team:
- new coach, 1st season in the B1G. (only 2nd season as head coach in D1.)
- team transitioning to new offensive and defensive systems (would not be unreasonable to expect a
slow start at team gets used to new schemes.)
- coaches have to learn individual players' strengths and weaknesses, along with what makes them tick.
- Team lost strong inside presence in Mbakwe, plus a guy in Williams who was erratic, but capable of
double-figure scoring, big dunks and the occasional blocked shot. Also lost a good bench contributer in Ingram.
- As of today, no new players joining the team (although that may change.)
- questions about a lot of returning players (can Oto shoot; can Mav become more consistent; can Big Mo get in better shape; can Buggs contribute; can Wally contribute; will teams defense Gophs differently without having to worry about Mbakwe or Williams inside;

Put all of that together, and I don't think it's admitting defeat to suggest that making the tournament will be a challenge.

+1 Thank you Dutcher, voice of reason. I can't believe the "rubes" on this Board already setting expectations as 6 or 7 wins.

Yes these other teams have benches and incoming freshmen, but you can't just replace guys like Burke, Zeller, Oladipo, Deshaun Thomas, etc. and that's not even the complete list. Half a dozen other B1G players will probably be on the NBA list by the end of next week. Plus all these other teams have seniors graduating just like we do.

I thought 6 or 7 wins was going to happen with Tubby and prior to Alvin Ellis de-committing. That's not to say I am satisfied with 6-7 wins, just that I think that's what the team on paper will accomplish. The Gophers won just 8 conference games and tied for 7th in the conference with Purdue and Illinois.

Purdue: Arrow pointing up with only DJ Byrd graduating. AJ Hammons could be a beast next year
Illinois: Lose Brandon Paul and DJ Richardson and might be in a similar situation to the Gophers, but have 2 ESPN top 100 kids coming in.
Iowa: Finished ahead of the Gophers for the second year in a row (unacceptable) lose nobody and add transfer Jarrod Uthoff

Outside of those teams you have: Indiana, Michigan State, Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. Crean has the top recruiting class in the Big Ten, Izzo brings everyone back, but Nix, Matta loses Thomas and Ravenel but brings in 2 ESPN top 100 recruits, Michigan depends on who leaves besides Burke, and I wouldn't bet on this being the year Bo Ryan drops out of the top 4 (adds Koenig, Jackson/Dekker likely improved).

Hopefully the Gophers find a way to add some impact talent this Spring and this picture looks brighter by the time the team hits the floor in the Fall.

I am in total support of Pitino and the coaching change. but I don't believe for a second that if Tubby were still here as coach and if he made the comment Pitino made about it being unrealistic that the
team would make the ncaa tourney that half this board wouldn't be ripping on him.

There is a huge diffrence. Tubby would be admitting that the roster he constructed sucked. That would be on him, so of course he should get ripped for it.

I don't care what or why Pitino said what he did but I will be disappointed if we don't make the tournament. Dre Hollins could be the best player in the conference and Austin Hollins could be All Big Ten. Coleman has a lot of expereince and EE has played enough to take a step up.

Williams may well be addition by subtraction.

There is a huge diffrence. Tubby would be admitting that the roster he constructed sucked. That would be on him, so of course he should get ripped for it.

Before he left, Tubby said that future of MN basketball was bright. He had 2 good players coming in. He had Mo working very hard. He also had Buggs. That team would have been great. The new team will be great too. Lets see who the Little Richard is going to bring in. Little Richard is like his dad when it comes to selling. He has sold himself very well to the most of the fans here. Now, it is time to see what he is about. He has a win-win situation here. He knows that winning or not, he will be loved. He can always say that Tubby couldn't win here how do you expect me to do it. This conference is loaded with great coaches. All the emerging young coaches are coming from weak conferences. MTSU the school that I attended, couldn't have had 100 fans to watch the basketball games. These days, they are winning like crazy. Murphy Center is packed. We saw them last year in NIT. Their style was identical to FIU's under RP. NT could have hired their coach too. However, his last name was not Pitino. I support Little Richard 100% but winning is not easy until there is an investment here. Bigtime players are not coming here no matter who is coaching.

People like you or Tiny can say all they want but next March, NIT will be waiting for the Gophers. You can bash Tubby for another 10 years but reality is reality.

Go Gophers

Before he left, Tubby said that future of MN basketball was bright. He had 2 good players coming in. He had Mo working very hard. He also had Buggs. That team would have been great. The new team will be great too. Lets see who the Little Richard is going to bring in. Little Richard is like his dad when it comes to selling. He has sold himself very well to the most of the fans here. Now, it is time to see what he is about. He has a win-win situation here. He knows that winning or not, he will be loved. He can always say that Tubby couldn't win here how do you expect me to do it. This conference is loaded with great coaches. All the emerging young coaches are coming from weak conferences. MTSU the school that I attended, couldn't have had 100 fans to watch the basketball games. These days, they are winning like crazy. Murphy Center is packed. We saw them last year in NIT. Their style was identical to FIU's under RP. NT could have hired their coach too. However, his last name was not Pitino. I support Little Richard 100% but winning is not easy until there is an investment here. Bigtime players are not coming here no matter who is coaching.

People like you or Tiny can say all they want but next March, NIT will be waiting for the Gophers. You can bash Tubby for another 10 years but reality is reality.

Go Gophers

I'm willing to say that in three years Pitino will have the same or more number of tourney wins that Tubby had in six years here. And he's getting paid far less! Crazy how that works.

I'm willing to say that in three years Pitino will have the same or more number of tourney wins that Tubby had in six years here. And he's getting paid far less! Crazy how that works.

Crazy how what works?

Go Gophers

Be honest. You supported Tubby and you will love it if Pitino struggles here. That's the "real truth".

Be honest. You supported Tubby and you will love it if Pitino struggles here. That's the "real truth".

No gopher fan posting on gopherhole is hoping pitino struggles. We all want greatness at the U. Some gopher fans have pitino as the second coming while others are skeptics. Nothing wrong with either approach, doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

Crazy how what works?

Didn't realize that comment was tough to understand. I'll make it easier.

Less salary, better results = crazy

Right?

And I'm not saying Pitino is the next great B1G coach, I'm just saying Tubby didn't do well enough to deserve to stay here.

the way you worded it makes it almost appear as if it is a done deal

No gopher fan posting on gopherhole is hoping pitino struggles. We all want greatness at the U. Some gopher fans have pitino as the second coming while others are skeptics. Nothing wrong with either approach, doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

I agree with you. I don't think RT's agenda is Gopher related. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he's a Gopher fan.

I am being Honest. I have always been 50/50 when we played Purdue becasue I graduated from there. You can ask my family and friends what a crazy fan I am when my favorite teams are playing. This will not change about the Gophers no matter who will be the coach. If you think that I cheer for OSU, UW, IU, MSU, IOWA to beat the Gophers, you are crazy.

Let me remind you, here is a typical post of yours when Tubby was the coach: "here is what I don't like about Tubby........". Mark my word, I will never send a post like that about Richard. I want him to succeed. I can be proud of wearing Minnesota T-Shirt even when I am in Indiana or Ohio.

Go Gophers

I agree with you. I don't think RT's agenda is Gopher related. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he's a Gopher fan.

Wrong again Bga1. I have agreed with you with almost all of your posts. You know a lot about basketball (not much about politics though:)). I like Tubby but I have said many times, he made many mistakes here and I hope he will learn from them. Like some of the fans here I did give him a break for 2010, 11, 12. Last year was different. He made most of his mistakes last year. He should relied less on Rodney and Trevor becasue they were both inconsistent. I really hope for both him and Richard do well as coaches.

Go Gophers

I am being Honest. I have always been 50/50 when we played Purdue becasue I graduated from there. You can ask my family and friends what a crazy fan I am when my favorite teams are playing. This will not change about the Gophers no matter who will be the coach. If you think that I cheer for OSU, UW, IU, MSU, IOWA to beat the Gophers, you are crazy.

Let me remind you, here is a typical post of yours when Tubby was the coach: "here is what I don't like about Tubby........". Mark my word, I will never send a post like that about Richard. I want him to succeed. I can be proud of wearing Minnesota T-Shirt even when I am in Indiana or Ohio.

Go Gophers

Okay, good.

There is a huge difference between setting expectations low so you can over deliver, and accepting mediocre results once they have happened. Can you really not see the difference?

Yes.

I can easily imagine the "To Do" list of some folks on this board.

To Do Today

Whine
etc.
etc.

That is also what I read. Anybody who calls the new coach Little Richie is not a supporter, period.

That is also what I read. Anybody who calls the new coach Little Richie is not a supporter, period.

Right. Because if you use a funny nickname, you hate the program. And the person. And should rot in hell.

the way you worded it makes it almost appear as if it is a done deal

In fairness, I was responding to someone who was assuming we will be in the NIT this year. I thought assumptions were status quo.

I'm all for waiting-and-seeing with Pitino. I waited six years for something to work with Tubby and supported him all the way. By the sixth year you could visibly see the team's lack of energy and lack of response to Tubby's coaching. Dunno whether it was Tubby or the players, but if we're going to pay less for a high energy guy (who is also high-risk, high-reward), I'm for that. I am not interested in sitting around on the seventh year cheering only to be let down again.

Right. Because if you use a funny nickname, you hate the program. And the person. And should rot in hell.

No, it is just has a derogatory overtone. Little Richard sounds like a negative nickname to me at least.

If I call you stupid Gopher Jake (not trying to call you that btw, just an example), it may just be a nickname, but it is negative and likely means I don't think much of you (again, not saying that is the case)

I don't think anyone could have called him Little Richard if it wasn't for:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z3-OaNevkfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No, it is just has a derogatory overtone. Little Richard sounds like a negative nickname to me at least.

If I call you stupid Gopher Jake (not trying to call you that btw, just an example), it may just be a nickname, but it is negative and likely means I don't think much of you (again, not saying that is the case)

Agreed

Settle down please. I called him little Richard becasue he reminds me of M J Fox in family ties. He talks big but he is little. I mean no disrespect.

Go Gophers

Nicknames can and do have the interpretations one chooses. Growing up, I kept people confused when siblings would call me "Little Donnie Wonder". and it didn't bother me a bit. In high school, we had a kid named Lee, and he was called Lenus the Penus. He preferred that to Elvis the Pelvis.

Top Bottom