Pitino puts Sid in his place and says 35 minutes of the game was the best...

I can't say that I'm a big fan but Sid is a legend and I think we'll miss him when he's gone.

The problem is the longer he hangs around the more likely he will be remembered for his gaffs.

Sid is and has been a legend. Having said that, he has always been a jackass and he has never been known for his grasp of the English language.

Great game, a few missed shots down the stretch, some bad calls at the end, and a few lapses on defense, and the game ends up close. Purdue plays good defense, to shoot the percentages the Gophers shot is an achievement. I expect an up and down season but when they are on they can beat anybody in the B1G.

They played a good game against Richmond on the road, I see no reason that type of effort will be any different at Penn State.

i like the way Andre Hollins is attacking the rim more this year. Being a great spot-up shooting is one thing but having the added dimension and threat of a drive is going to make him really hard to stop. And on nights when the jumper isn't falling it is crucial to have other ways to contribute offensively. At one point in the first half I thought I saw that we were being outshot 55 to 38% from the three point arc, then we hit a bunch and they missed a bunch and that was virtually reversed for awhile. That must have been when we were up 19-- then i think it evened out towards the end. I think we as fans should be ready for wins and competitive games when we can shoot well from the perimeter and disappointing games when we don't. Elliot played really well yesterday but we do not have a go-to guy in the paint to get a bucket or get to the line. That will have to come from perimeter guys driving to the hoop.
Yesterday at the BARN was a blast though-- games like that is why I put up with the NOLA's and the UNO's of the schedule.

Interesting that he said McNeil wanted to redshirt.

Now he's basically getting minutes that would otherwise go to Mav and/or Wally. They can't be too happy about that.

Speaking over someone and disrespecting a fellow journalist is professional? Good grief....

Sid is an embarrassment, period. Funny, from our sports teams we speak of standards and having expectations for performance, we should demand better, etc. Apparently this doesn't apply to the media. Nada. Zip. It's too much to ask to have a media rep that can speak intelligibly and coherently, treats others with respect, and actually writes their own work?

Like I said, being impossible to understand, incoherent, and writing marginal work would be one thing, but Sid compounds things by being an arrogant, disrespectful, condescending dick. Unanimously anyone I've known that has even had a brush with Sid in the last few decades has said he would piss on your shoes if you didn't bow before him and step aside when he came along (apologies, Nadine, if you told me otherwise; if so you would be the first).

I have no time for someone who treats others the way Sid does. Good riddance

Spot on. Sid is an arrogant prick and it's hardly a secret. In fact, it's been a running joke amongst sports journalists in the state for decades.

Spot on. Sid is an arrogant prick and it's hardly a secret. In fact, it's been a running joke amongst sports journalists in the state for decades.

Sid could have been a venerable elder statesman of Twin Cities media if he would have ratcheted down a bit 15 years ago. Instead he plugs on and his weaknesses and arrogance get magnified.

Sid should ALWAYS speak over Amelia. He is a legend, she is garbage. Her grammar is even terrible and she hides it behind the guise of a blog.

You seem like a fun person who is happy with your life!

And I wouldn't complain about her "grammar" if I were you. Here is a recent post from you. Yikes.

People that have to exclaim on a public forum, "I played on the mens team." Never played on the mens team.

You seem like a fun person who is happy with your life!

And I wouldn't complain about her "grammar" if I were you. Here is a recent post from you. Yikes.

People that have to exclaim on a public forum, "I played on the mens team." Never played on the mens team.

While Sid seems to be an ornery old cuss (I've never met him personally), Amelia seems to be the antithesis of Sid as a writer. Her articles ooze with shallowness and observations that any of us rubes could easily piece together. Amelia strikes me as an appeaser who tries too hard to get along (I've also never met Amelia personally so I'm only sharing what it seems to be.) with the folks she's writing about. I'd like to see her roll back the sleeves and show us a bit more toughness in her writing about the team.

Sid is who he is, but he isn't going anywhere, nor should he.

He's arrogant, stingy, sycophantic suck up (especially to the U of M), who dropped out in middle school.

He also happens to be extremely wealthy thanks to mostly real estate investments with his friends and a few million from his media career, the most read journalist in the state, a former GM of an NBA team, and a living legend with a treasure-trove of sports history.

He's a flawed journalist who also happens to be the most mocked and respected in the state.

It will be a sad day when he's gone.

He's arrogant, stingy, sycophantic suck up (especially to the U of M), who dropped out in middle school.

He also happens to be extremely wealthy thanks to mostly real estate investments with his friends and a few million from his media career, the most read journalist in the state, a former GM of an NBA team, and a living legend with a treasure-trove of sports history.

He's a flawed journalist who also happens to be the most mocked and respected in the state.

Sadly, he should have been remembered for a hall of fame worthy career in his profession. Now he will also be remembered as somebody that hung around well beyond his prime. He comes across as a crotchety old man with declining people skills because he is a crotchety old man with declining people skills.

Even Jim Souhan said last week on 1500 that Sid hasn't broken a legitimate story or had legitimate sources in 20 years. In my opinion, WCCO and The Star Tribune are more to blame for letting the charade continue.

Sadly, he should have been remembered for a hall of fame worthy career in his profession. Now he will also be remembered as somebody that hung around well beyond his prime. He comes across as a crotchety old man with declining people skills because he is a crotchety old man with declining people skills.

Even Jim Souhan said last week on 1500 that Sid hasn't broken a legitimate story or had legitimate sources in 20 years. In my opinion, WCCO and The Star Tribune are more to blame for letting the charade continue.

People remember what they want. I don't remember him that way.

It's not our job to tell someone when to retire. If his employer wants him around and if he wants to work, then he should work.

Why do we need people to quit on our terms so we can remember them how we want? I find that line of thinking to be incredibly selfish. Yes, he is noticeably worse, especially on the radio. But WCCO and the Star Tribune still want him around, so what's the problem?

People remember what they want. I don't remember him that way.

It's not our job to tell someone when to retire. If his employer wants him around and if he wants to work, then he should work.

Why do we need people to quit on our terms so we can remember them how we want? I find that line of thinking to be incredibly selfish. Yes, he is noticeably worse, especially on the radio. But WCCO and the Star Tribune still want him around, so what's the problem?

Fair enough. The desire to work by him is admirable but it doesn't mean it is the right decision. Listening to him on the radio in the mornings is a joke. It is difficult at times to even decipher what he is saying. It is not a value add to the station.

You are right, people can remember him as what they want. But, many of the people on this board never even had exposure to the person you cited in your previous post. It's not selfishness on my part. I'm not losing five seconds of sleep over this. I just think it's sad.

While Sid seems to be an ornery old cuss (I've never met him personally), Amelia seems to be the antithesis of Sid as a writer. Her articles ooze with shallowness and observations that any of us rubes could easily piece together. Amelia strikes me as an appeaser who tries too hard to get along (I've also never met Amelia personally so I'm only sharing what it seems to be.) with the folks she's writing about. I'd like to see her roll back the sleeves and show us a bit more toughness in her writing about the team.

Sid *is* a jerk. I know from personal experience - the man was forced by management 30 years ago to apologize to me, a 20-year-old valet, for treating me so poorly.

I trust you're not insinuating that Sid's stories have any depth, because they do not.

In my opinion Amelia does a nice job. I'd hate to see her get too nasty with a bunch of unpaid college kids. Stronger critique of the coaching staff would be great, but I'm sure she has to be very careful to keep her communications lines open. I imagine that's a tough balancing act for any journalist to maintain.

So what's Souhan's excuse for not having legit sources or breaking a big story ? He's half Sid's age , and we all know he's a more fit man.

What is sad to me is that it seems CCO Radio is using his diminishing skills as good humor. As I've said in the recent past, many mornings Sid now just reads (or tries to read) 'answers' to questions that Dave Lee asks. Then Dave Lee usually has a comment or two regarding Sid's lack of hearing or illogical comments. Then you hear Sid's phone hang-up - followed by more 'funny' comments about Sid by DL. What's the point in this? Ratings I suppose, by at what cost to the station?

Sid *is* a jerk. I know from personal experience - the man was forced by management 30 years ago to apologize to me, a 20-year-old valet, for treating me so poorly.

I trust you're not insinuating that Sid's stories have any depth, because they do not.

In my opinion Amelia does a nice job. I'd hate to see her get too nasty with a bunch of unpaid college kids. Stronger critique of the coaching staff would be great, but I'm sure she has to be very careful to keep her communications lines open. I imagine that's a tough balancing act for any journalist to maintain.

Especially when you're a beat writer.

I don't care that Sid is a media legend, I have no respect for people who mistreat others, and are consistently rude, and ornery. Btw, Sid isn't the one writing "his" columns in the paper, and he doesn't tweet "his" own tweets, as caught by a recent member of the press recently. He should take no credit for the work that gets put under his name.

I agree I love Sid

Thanks Nadine. I think my favorite lines from Coach P were:

• Sid - I saw your statue yesterday. Sid: Tough game Pitino: What tough game, we won. Sid: They had a 19 point lead. Pitino: Doesn't matter, we won.
When you talk about "must-win" games, I don't like to talk about that, that's when you don’t have confidence in your team.
• "Wait your turn - to Sid (as Amelia was asking a question)

Let's go get Penn State now.

Coach Pitino stated tonight that comment was directed at Amelia as Sid was talking.

Coach Pitino stated tonight that comment was directed at Amelia as Sid was talking.

Japanese scientists have recently created a camera with such a fantastic shutter speed that it is now possible to take a photograph of a woman with her mouth closed.

Japanese scientists have recently created a camera with such a fantastic shutter speed that it is now possible to take a photograph of a woman with her mouth closed.

Call me crazy, but I'm skeptical...

Top Bottom