Pitino post game presser - Was worried about Omaha, they made the Gophers better

I think the point is that he now has put together 2 solid recruiting classes in a row and that Pitino and his group are energetic recruiters. That's a start. If you get two good classes in a row- you have a chance to compete to be in the upper half of the conference. If you get to the upper half of the conference- recruiting gets easier.

Right on. Minnesota has recruited well at times in the past, and there's no reason they can't again. Not sure why defeatist thinking needs to rule the day.

I think the point is that he now has put together 2 solid recruiting classes in a row and that Pitino and his group are energetic recruiters. That's a start. If you get two good classes in a row- you have a chance to compete to be in the upper half of the conference. If you get to the upper half of the conference- recruiting gets easier.

What's so great about this freshman class? So far, it has produced one player who is ready to make solid contributions. I'm sure others will in time but you could say that about almost anyone's recruiting class.

What's so great about this freshman class? So far, it has produced one player who is ready to make solid contributions. I'm sure others will in time but you could say that about almost anyone's recruiting class.

Great? I don't know if it will be great- time will tell. I do think that it doesn't take much imagination to see that Dorsey, McBrayer and Murphy all have the ability to be really good in time. I don't think it is at all a stretch to say that this group will be in the upper half of the Big 10 recruited classes by the end of this year in terms of performance on the court. Time will tell. I'm optimistic- obviously you are not. That's okay.

If Dorsey makes his layups I think you'd think we have 2 players making contributions now. Literally all that Dorsey needs to do to make an impact is knock down the layup or 2 or 3 per game that he misses. Murphy is pretty obviously already making an impact.

If Dorsey makes his layups I think you'd think we have 2 players making contributions now. Literally all that Dorsey needs to do to make an impact is knock down the layup or 2 or 3 per game that he misses. Murphy is pretty obviously already making an impact.

Murphy is the player I referred to as making solid contributions. Dorsey has also been a turnover machine. I can see Dorsey's potential and he might be decent by later in the year but he's not very good now. I don't have much optimism about McBrayer doing much this year.

I do think that it doesn't take much imagination to see that Dorsey, McBrayer and Murphy all have the ability to be really good in time.

Gee, don't you think every fan base feels that way about their freshmen? All I can comment on is what I've seen so far and only Murphy has been a good player. Upper half of the conference by the time they are done? Maybe a 50/50 chance but I wouldn't go further than that.

Murphy is the player I referred to as making solid contributions. Dorsey has also been a turnover machine. I can see Dorsey's potential and he might be decent by later in the year but he's not very good now........................................................... I don't have much optimism ............................................. about McBrayer doing much this year.

It's all ya needed.

Gee, don't you think every fan base feels that way about their freshmen? All I can comment on is what I've seen so far and only Murphy has been a good player. Upper half of the conference by the time they are done? Maybe a 50/50 chance but I wouldn't go further than that.

Feel a little better after tonight's game? Maybe up it to 70-30?

I've been hearing about "matchup problems" for years under both Tubby and Richard. We can't match up against any of the beefy, skilled players from around here that we didn't recruit. That's been one of the frustrations of recent years.

Pitino mentioned on 1500 that our small lineup could cause problems for the bigger sized teams and that the team needs to look into that.

I worry that the small lineup crutch is a mirage. I hope we find some kind of solution or progress at the big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to mention a certain new practice facility either. I think we should all feel pretty confident about recruiting.

Pitino mentioned on 1500 that our small lineup could cause problems for the bigger sized teams and that the team needs to look into that. I worry that the small lineup crutch is a mirage. I hope we find some kind of solution or progress at the big. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The small lineup is fine if they can rebound and not give up 100 points in the paint.

But if we can do those things, being able to switch most screens with a small line up can be huge. Would really require a lot of primarily Buggs and Murphy being able to guard players both bigger and smaller than them.

Offensively it would be fine, it's D where you worry a bit. With the right players though it is doable.

The lineup of Mason, Morris, Buggs, Murphy, King isn't that "small" it just plays really small, which is quite unfortunate.

You put Dorsey out there instead of Morris and then you get a bit smaller, but only in the backcourt. There aren't a lot of teams that are bigger than a 6'9" 3, 6'6" (long) 4 and a 6'9" 5.

Pitino mentioned on 1500 that our small lineup could cause problems for the bigger sized teams and that the team needs to look into that.

I worry that the small lineup crutch is a mirage. I hope we find some kind of solution or progress at the big.

Last night, the combination of King establishing defensive position and Murphy providing help defense worked more often than it didn't. I feel more comfortable with that than with Bakary trying to guard the post, emphasis on "trying."

Feel a little better after tonight's game? Maybe up it to 70-30?

Yes. I had already thought that Murphy was good enough to make an all freshman team potentially but I didn't expect the kind of explosion he had last night. I didn't see anything from McBrayer last night that moved me to being significantly more positive about his potential to contribute significantly this year but he was pretty decent on defense.

Dorsey's game last night was more of a revelation. He was very good on defense and he played a different game offensively that he had prior to last night. I thought he and Mason on the floor together was a very good combination because he took primary care of the ball handling (and had no errors that I remember) and that allowed Mason to focus more on scoring where he is better anyway. I think the Dorsey/Morris combo could work well, too.

Last night, the combination of King establishing defensive position and Murphy providing help defense worked more often than it didn't. I feel more comfortable with that than with Bakary trying to guard the post, emphasis on "trying."

It certainly was more effective. However Clemsons PF and SF who have been the core of their offense play the wings Donte Grantham being their 3pt shooter (was handled nicely last night) and Jaron Blossomgame who uses his speed to gobble up 2pt field goals.

The small lineup handled the speed better, but what happens when we face the PFs and Cs who make their money battling inside the paint.

Clemson wasn't a team that had those characteristics.

Yes. I had already thought that Murphy was good enough to make an all freshman team potentially but I didn't expect the kind of explosion he had last night. I didn't see anything from McBrayer last night that moved me to being significantly more positive about his potential to contribute significantly this year but he was pretty decent on defense.

Dorsey's game last night was more of a revelation. He was very good on defense and he played a different game offensively that he had prior to last night. I thought he and Mason on the floor together was a very good combination because he took primary care of the ball handling (and had no errors that I remember) and that allowed Mason to focus more on scoring where he is better anyway. I think the Dorsey/Morris combo could work well, too.

Dorsey was strong with the ball down the stretch- I too like what I saw of him and Mason handling things together. They spread the court and reversed the ball quickly. McBrayer just needs to see a few shots fall and he will be fine. Fun game to watch. There is a long way to go but there is reason for optimism!

Dorsey was strong with the ball down the stretch- I too like what I saw of him and Mason handling things together. They spread the court and reversed the ball quickly. McBrayer just needs to see a few shots fall and he will be fine. Fun game to watch. There is a long way to go but there is reason for optimism!
I'm liking what I see from McBrayer - some great defensive plays and pressure last night - which this team really needs. Sometimes being present at the games makes a big difference in evaluating play - seeing the away from the ball contributions. Or lack thereof.

It was great to see the freshmen trio out there for lengthy minutes gaining confidence. Great decision on Pitino's part imo.

I think Dorsey's play thus far has been extremely encouraging. Sometimes I think people on this board forget how difficult it can be for a PG to come in as a freshman and play heavy minutes. Which is odd considering we had to deal with Maverick Ahamisi, who couldn't even handle PG duties as a senior. Dorsey does not seem phased one bit by the big stage. He has a very good handle, even better quickness, and his shot seems to be coming around a little bit. His D is already above average as well. I think he's going to turn into quite the weapon off the bench by the end of the season, particularly against teams that lack a solid back up PG.

The small lineup handled the speed better, but what happens when we face the PFs and Cs who make their money battling inside the paint.

In future years with Curry, Murphy and hopefully T. John playing the post positions we will be fine. For now, in a year in which we expect to struggle we will struggle.

I'm very excited about the possibilities on both ends of the floor moving forward. Adding long, versatile athletes like Coffey, Curry and Hurt (heard he's an underrated defender...is that true?) can only help. I like the idea of throwing out a lineup of mostly 6'6" to 6'9" athletes that can switch any time and still have some perimeter scoring punch. There's a lot of lineup flexibility.

Just for fun line-up that could switch on anything and probably cause a lot of problems:

Coffey
Buggs
Fitzgerald
Murphy
Curry

I know there's a lack of ball handling to help Coffey, but that's still a pretty neat set of athletes that could cause issues.

Side note: Would anyone be surprised or upset if Diedhiou and/or Gilbert transfer after this year?

I've been saying for a while now that I think Diedhiou transferring after this year is extremely likely. Gilbert I don't see as much, we need him to develop as an outside shooter.

I've been saying for a while now that I think Diedhiou transferring after this year is extremely likely. Gilbert I don't see as much, we need him to develop as an outside shooter.

I agree that it'd be nice if he could develop as a shooter. I just worry that the game may be too fast for him at this level at this time. I could see him looking for greener pastures and more playing time. If Coffey and Hurt prove to be solid from deep, we'll be OK. Mason, Buggs, Coffey, Hurt and I think eventually McBrayer will be solid (Not to mention Murphy).

If a Gilbert transfer opens up a scholarship McKinley Wright or one of the other 2017's, I'd be OK with it.

Diedhiou maybe, but he still hasn't actually played a full season of basketball yet. Gilbert obviously hasn't playing at all, but he's still a true freshman, and a 6'6" shooter off the bench isn't a bad thing to have. I hope we get to see more of him against some of the softer non-conference opponents. Both of them still have time to put it together, especially Gilbert as he's only 7 games into his Gopher career. I remember some being hopeful for a Buggs transfer the past two years, and he's one of our better players this year.

If they end up moving on, I would rather Diedhiou and Gilbert move on after next year, so we can balance out the recruiting classes, plus there's a lot of good instate talent that year. I think Gaston is a lost cause, bot all project bigmen pan out. Gilbert will see he's tall and can shoot from the perimeter. Could held this team out a lot on defense

It certainly was more effective. However Clemsons PF and SF who have been the core of their offense play the wings Donte Grantham being their 3pt shooter (was handled nicely last night) and Jaron Blossomgame who uses his speed to gobble up 2pt field goals.

In concept, I'll still take position defense over the matador defense Konate has been playing.

Way too early to speculate on Gilbert transferring. We just got to December of his freshman year. Not every first year player makes a huge impact right away. We aren't Kentucky.

Way too early to speculate on Gilbert transferring. We just got to December of his freshman year. Not every first year player makes a huge impact right away. We aren't Kentucky.

Exactly.
People harped about Oto transferring. Then it was Buggs. Now Gaston and Gilbert.

Just to get in a good word about Gaston: He has looked good to me in his limited minutes the last 2 games. In 5 minutes of playing time he has 4 pts 2 rbs and 1 blk. Check out his bucket at 11:45 in the 1st half if you can. It should have made the hilite reel imo. He has been active on defense too. Hopefully NO defections this year. If you are looking for spots to open up it would be next year when the only departing senior is Buggs. That's when you might want some room for more scholarships imo.

I'm not saying I want either of them to leave. My first choice is that they both stay and manage to develop into great players. I'm just saying I wouldn't be too upset if we ended up with more flexibility with the 2017 class. Maybe the staff isn't especially high on the other 2017's after Theo John and Gary Trent, but it feels like there are some interesting prospects out there.

Just to get in a good word about Gaston: He has looked good to me in his limited minutes the last 2 games. In 5 minutes of playing time he has 4 pts 2 rbs and 1 blk.

Yes, he did contribute surprisingly in short bursts. Perhaps the key is playing him only two or three minutes a game.

Top Bottom