Pitino post game presser: Needs to see Gaston practice at least once before playing,

Some said he was a recruiting miss.

Link?

Always appeared unlikely to work out with Diedhiou (both respect to initially joining the program and also longer-term). Things could always change, but if he never joins the team I don't see it as a negative.

Sometimes the real story is fed in a certain way for effect.

Things are often not what they seem if you accept only what you're told.

Consider what may actually be at play here and different ways of handling it. See if you don't conclude this path may be the best available.

(Deep breath...) If your theory of an "Oh, crap" recruiting mistake had validity and the attempted nefarious collusion with Admissions didn't work, don't you think he would put him out there in blowouts so that he cycles through in 4 years rather than 5?

Some said he was a recruiting miss.

Others said he would be a great addition for the team in December. This chatter continued this month.

Some folks were puzzled when he didn't play in the first game he was eligible to compete in.

Postgame, the confusion had an excuse: "he hadn't practiced...but the walk-on had a few practices, so that's why he played and Diedhiou didn't"

Nowadays... there's not anyone admitting it... but I suspect the recruiting miss thought pattern is entering the minds of more people.

(Deep breath...) If your theory of an "Oh, crap" recruiting mistake had validity and the attempted nefarious collusion with Admissions didn't work, don't you think he would put him out there in blowouts so that he cycles through in 4 years rather than 5?

You might be right, but I think he'll play this year. He needs to practice and get comfortable. If that happens I think he'll play this year.
If it doesn't happen I will be surprised. Time will tell.

You might be right, but I think he'll play this year. He needs to practice and get comfortable. If that happens I think he'll play this year.
If it doesn't happen I will be surprised. Time will tell.

I totally agree.

I would guess if Diedhiou hasn't played by the 5th or 6th Big Ten game, and our other bigs (Mo, EE, King, Buggs, Konate) remain healthy, they'll want to redshirt him. Will be interesting to see how the coaching staff plays this.

I would guess if Diedhiou hasn't played by the 5th or 6th Big Ten game, and our other bigs (Mo, EE, King, Buggs, Konate) remain healthy, they'll want to redshirt him. Will be interesting to see how the coaching staff plays this.

If Gas can simply play defense he will get some minutes. There are going to be some really scary moments when Joey King is in foul trouble during B1G play and we have Charles Buggs playing defense in half court sets, heck, Charles Buggs playing defense in our press scares the sh1t out of me....

We need to find someone that has the ability to grasp the simplest concepts in our defense to play 5 to 10 minutes of non negative impact in the post.

If Gas can simply play defense he will get some minutes. There are going to be some really scary moments when Joey King is in foul trouble during B1G play and we have Charles Buggs playing defense in half court sets, heck, Charles Buggs playing defense in our press scares the sh1t out of me....

We need to find someone that has the ability to grasp the simplest concepts in our defense to play 5 to 10 minutes of non negative impact in the post.

You're right. Buggs defense = Konate offense.

Okie!

BTW, I wouldn't call Martin a miss. He could have been developed into a worthwhile player. Might have been a 'fit' issue... and issue around managing expectations... but wouldn't call him a 'serious miss'... can be a guy that rebounds and helps a team in the future. Just wasn't the right place and time for him at the U.

We used a scholarship spot on him and his entire Gopher career consisted of 9 points, 4 fouls, and 6 turnovers. If a guy who doesn't reach double digits points in his career (I don't mean didn't ever have a double digit game, I mean he never scored 10 total points in all of his games combined) doesn't qualify as a miss, then I don't know what does.

We used a scholarship spot on him and his entire Gopher career consisted of 9 points, 4 fouls, and 6 turnovers. If a guy who doesn't reach double digits points in his career (I don't mean didn't ever have a double digit game, I mean he never scored 10 total points in all of his games combined) doesn't qualify as a miss, then I don't know what does.

He had double digit potential...doesn't that count for something?

I'll take missing on a player like Martin, not great basketball skills but his athleticism more than warranted a schollie, who can predict that a player for whatever reason just isn't going to like a given school.

I don't know that I would consider Martin a "miss"? To me, a miss is a guy that sucks up a scholarship for four years and doesn't produce much. Or a guy with a ton of red flags that gets booted before the first scrimmage. Although I feel Pitino is more culpable than others in this situation, it is tough to know how a kid will react to certain situations. I'll consider him more of a "miss" if he goes on to have a solid college career elsewhere -- because we had him on campus and couldn't make it work. Maybe I'm just arguing semantics.

Top Bottom