Pitino Post game - On taking King out, the last plays, and thinking that this would..

Last night was a weird game. There were stretches where I thought this team has given up, there's no hope, their lost, Pitino's seat is burning up. And then moments where I thought this team is super hard working, gritty, so much potential, the future is bright. It's not so much about wins and losses anymore for me. But those swings are just confusing and tough to comprehend.

It's like they are young, and inexperienced and are having a difficult time being on losing teams for the first times in their lives....

Weird.

Must be ****ty coaching. Right Gopherhole?

You're right, actual wins are nothing but removing us from some sort of record book, which we already likely have for "worst season ever"... It's all about do we still have a bunch of kids that are trying and are they progressing. Have they tuned coach out? If that happens he's gotta go.

It hasn't happened, and I don't think it will. Pitino is as engaged as he's ever been. This is a difficult team to coach for a multitude of reasons.

Give it time.

Agreed...I thought it was the worst atmosphere for a conference game in a long time. It was really empty and quiet for the entirety of the game.

Hmmmmm......was it perhaps the worst atmosphere for a conference game since.......the last time we went 0-11 in conference play?

It's like they are young, and inexperienced and are having a difficult time being on losing teams for the first times in their lives.... Weird. Must be ****ty coaching. Right Gopherhole? You're right, actual wins are nothing but removing us from some sort of record book, which we already likely have for "worst season ever"... It's all about do we still have a bunch of kids that are trying and are they progressing. Have they tuned coach out? If that happens he's gotta go. It hasn't happened, and I don't think it will. Pitino is as engaged as he's ever been. This is a difficult team to coach for a multitude of reasons. Give it time.

My concern last night was just how lethargic they looked until Mason's dive for the loose ball. Even at half and in time outs it was like no one wanted to be there. Granted, when it's a younger team and you're 0-11 that isn't all that shocking, but it was concerning. As I hope they and coach Pitino to some extent realize, just play your butt off and good things will happen. Stop caring that you're 0-11 and just give 110%. Easier said than done, I know, but I bet that mindset leads to playing looser and winning games more than being disappointed they haven't won yet does. They've got nothing to lose at this point. They've lost 12 games already. What's a few more? Just play hard and leave it all on the court. I am guessing though, especially for freshman, that 0-12 really weighs on you and weighs on Pitino and so getting out of a funk like that can be really challenging.

They've got nothing to lose at this point. They've lost 12 games already. What's a few more? Just play hard and leave it all on the court. I am guessing though, especially for freshman, that 0-12 really weighs on you and weighs on Pitino and so getting out of a funk like that can be really challenging.

Easy to say; lot harder to do. I'm at the point where I'm not even judging the whole game, but just looking for rays of hope. "Satisfied" isn't the right word, but at least heartened that they finally showed some fight and the crowd woke up. Whatever the stage is below moral victory, I'm now at it. Although I'm starting to wonder if anyone important for next year will say, "The hell with this," and bail for next year.

My concern last night was just how lethargic they looked until Mason's dive for the loose ball. Even at half and in time outs it was like no one wanted to be there. Granted, when it's a younger team and you're 0-11 that isn't all that shocking, but it was concerning. As I hope they and coach Pitino to some extent realize, just play your butt off and good things will happen. Stop caring that you're 0-11 and just give 110%. Easier said than done, I know, but I bet that mindset leads to playing looser and winning games more than being disappointed they haven't won yet does. They've got nothing to lose at this point. They've lost 12 games already. What's a few more? Just play hard and leave it all on the court. I am guessing though, especially for freshman, that 0-12 really weighs on you and weighs on Pitino and so getting out of a funk like that can be really challenging.

I'm sure no one wants to be there. Who would at this point? The season was lost long ago, you and I as fans can't wait for the depth to show up. You think they don't think the same things? We get frustrated when they get an open shot for buggs or king or whomever and they don't knock it down. Think they don't?

They are young, not stupid. They are kids, not robots.

This is some difficult mental ****. But my hope is we read about how it made them tougher 2 years from now when they dig through a tough big 10 tournament game vs Wisconsin to get us into the dance.

Hmmmmm......was it perhaps the worst atmosphere for a conference game since.......the last time we went 0-11 in conference play?

Not sure if this was intended to be condescending or not.....wasn't trying to break ground or provide insight. It was just an observation as one of the few that was actually at the game last night. A won-loss record certainly is the biggest factor in how engaged a crowd becomes but it's not a linear relationship. The opponent is also always a huge factor. I was just surprised last night how different it looked than even the last game against Purdue. It was exhibition game like.

Agreed...I thought it was the worst atmosphere for a conference game in a long time. It was really empty and quiet for the entirety of the game.

There are very few places you could go in the country to see a 0-11 team get that good of a crowd. The crowd was very quiet because the players couldn't hit any shots. When you can't hit shots and you can't stop the other team from doing so- there is nothing to cheer about.

We actually outrebounded a team and made free throws

I liked the way the team responded more to Mason's hustle play steal/TO that turned things around and led to a 11-1 run, speaks more about Mason as a leader than Pitino as a coach, but i give RP credit for getting a kid like that here. Sidenote: announcer was annoying and over the top talking about the play and how that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. Uh... yes it does, it's a steal dork.

One of the announcers said "good things happen when they get the ball to Murphy" at least 6 times.

At least were in good position for the number one draft pick! Oops, wrong league.

At this point, Is there any reason to give big minutes to King? he is a senior and not that good of one, on a winless B1G team. Roll out the freshman and fire them up by convincing them to play for next year and upset some of these teams.

One of the announcers said "good things happen when they get the ball to Murphy" at least 6 times.

I posted it a couple of times too. And was yelling at the TV "get the ball to Murphy!". Early on we hardly even tried.

I posted it a couple of times too. And was yelling at the TV "get the ball to Murphy!". Early on we hardly even tried.

Michigan was smart enough to keep going at King because it was working, but we weren't smart enough to do what was working for us. Often a team wins because they're smarter. So not only are they more talented and worked harder, the Wolverines play smarter, too.

Michigan was smart enough to keep going at King because it was working, but we weren't smart enough to do what was working for us. Often a team wins because they're smarter. So not only are they more talented and worked harder, the Wolverines play smarter, too.

FWIW. Typically the only thing that doesn't work for us is 3 point shooting/long jump shooting. I really don't care WHO we go to so long as we aren't doing that. I am just as okay with a McBrayer attack as I am a Murphy post up.

The guys that shot the threes for us were Buggs, Mason and King- three guys that are supposed to be able to make them and in the past have done so. So it's not like we had Mcbrayer and Dorsey casting up three after three. If you totally give up on the three then they are going to sit back on the drive to the hoop or the post up to Murphy. I don't think they played smarter than us at all. I do think that they are a lot better shooters than we are. In fact I know so. Again, in this game they made 14 threes out of 26 while we made 4 of 19. So they beat us by 30 points on threes. That's pretty darn tough to overcome.

The guys that shot the threes for us were Buggs, Mason and King- three guys that are supposed to be able to make them and in the past have done so. So it's not like we had Mcbrayer and Dorsey casting up three after three. If you totally give up on the three then they are going to sit back on the drive to the hoop or the post up to Murphy. I don't think they played smarter than us at all. I do think that they are a lot better shooters than we are. In fact I know so. Again, in this game they made 14 threes out of 26 while we made 4 of 19. So they beat us by 30 points on threes. That's pretty darn tough to overcome.

Sorry, several of our shots were hasty or just plain foolish.

This is some difficult mental ****.
Really? Losing basketball games is difficult mental ****?
Dude, you're talking 1st world problems.
Morris, having to attend the funeral of a high school buddy is a hell of a lot tougher than losing a couple of insignificant basketball games.
Games done, go out and grab a pizza. Mom dies of cancer...that's some difficult mental ****.
Here, we're just talking about some kids losing a meaningless game. Let's not make it into anything more than it is.

Really? Losing basketball games is difficult mental ****?
Dude, you're talking 1st world problems.
Morris, having to attend the funeral of a high school buddy is a hell of a lot tougher than losing a couple of insignificant basketball games.
Games done, go out and grab a pizza. Mom dies of cancer...that's some difficult mental ****.
Here, we're just talking about some kids losing a meaningless game. Let's not make it into anything more than it is.

shut up, don't try and make me look inconsiderate. Nowhere did I state it was more difficult than things you referenced.

You know what I was talking about.

For a bunch of privileged, collegiate athletes, losing for the first time in their lives is some difficult mental ****. I'm speaking solely in a sports lense.

shut up, don't try and make me look inconsiderate. Nowhere did I state it was more difficult than things you referenced.

You know what I was talking about.

For a bunch of privileged, collegiate athletes, losing for the first time in their lives is some difficult mental ****. I'm speaking solely in a sports lense.

I disagree with the notion that these kids have never lost in their lives. I disagree that this is difficult mental **** in any sense. These kids have a life outside of basketball. They go to classes, they enjoy friendships with non-athletes. It's not the end of the world. You are being hyperbolic. Take a break from sports for awhile if you think losing in basketball is difficult mental ****. I'm not buying what you're selling.

I disagree with the notion that these kids have never lost in their lives. I disagree that this is difficult mental **** in any sense. These kids have a life outside of basketball. They go to classes, they enjoy friendships with non-athletes. It's not the end of the world. You are being hyperbolic. Take a break from sports for awhile if you think losing in basketball is difficult mental ****. I'm not buying what you're selling.

Well I was wrong, you don't know what I'm talking about.

Moving on.

Heading into my senior years and having experienced many of the things mentioned, losing doesn't have the long term lasting impact of many of life's hardships, but looking back I think if I had ever had this long of a losing streak it would have easily impacted social interactions and mood's at the time.

well, what both of you continue to miss is that I'm not comparing this to any of life's major issues. Simply as far as playing basketball consistently goes it's mentally difficult when you're continuously losing.

It's not hyperbolic, it's not exaggerating and I'm not being insensitive.

well, what both of you continue to miss is that I'm not comparing this to any of life's major issues. Simply as far as playing basketball consistently goes it's mentally difficult when you're continuously losing.

It may be difficult to keep basketball as a main priority simply because it's not fun to lose, but to imply that the kids are dealing with serious mental **** is being hyperbolic.
Most kids will just stop putting in as much effort and look forward to the pizza and beer they'll have after the game. If anyone is sweating this thing out it's the coaches whose livelihood is on the line.

It may be difficult to keep basketball as a main priority simply because it's not fun to lose, but to imply that the kids are dealing with serious mental **** is being hyperbolic.
Most kids will just stop putting in as much effort and look forward to the pizza and beer they'll have after the game. If anyone is sweating this thing out it's the coaches whose livelihood is on the line.

You still continue to take this completely out of context. To paraphrase the great Shooter McGavin,
"Damn you people, this is basketball. Go back to your shanties".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, get over yourself.

Some people like taking any opportunity they can get to jump on someone. It's easier to do when you twist peoples words or the ideas they're trying to get across. They feel like it's very important work and makes the world a better place. Let them have their moment.

Some people like taking any opportunity they can get to jump on someone. It's easier to do when you twist peoples words or the ideas they're trying to get across. They feel like it's very important work and makes the world a better place. Let them have their moment.

Yup lol that was a really weird attack there. I might start responding to every thread on this site with "WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT BASKETBALL?!?! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH CANCER!!!"

Like yes. We all realize there are bigger things in life than basketball. We are here to discuss basketball though and things in the context of sports.

Yup lol that was a really weird attack there. I might start responding to every thread on this site with "WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT BASKETBALL?!?! DON'T YOU KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE WITH CANCER!!!"

Like yes. We all realize there are bigger things in life than basketball. We are here to discuss basketball though and things in the context of sports.

Hey, it's just Tiny being Tiny. What else can you expect:confused:

You still continue to take this completely out of context. To paraphrase the great Shooter McGavin,
"Damn you people, this is basketball. Go back to your shanties".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, it's just Tiny being Tiny. What else can you expect:confused:

My people.

My people.
LOL. Were you suffering some deep mental ****? I'm glad your shrinks came to rescue you. [emoji544]
I hope the kids on the team can handle such trauma! (Do you see how hyperbole works?)

LOL. Were you suffering some deep mental ****? I'm glad your shrinks came to rescue you. [emoji544]
I hope the kids on the team can handle such trauma! (Do you see how hyperbole works?)

You're using hyperbole more than anyone else here. In the context of basketball, having a season like this is very difficult mentally. In the context of real world problems, it is not. Context is key. One would think the context for this given discussion wouldn't be hard to figure out considering we're talking about basketball on a basketball forum.

Again, get over yourself.

Top Bottom