Pitino on KFAN: If we won 2 more games, we'd be back in the hunt for the NCAA Tourney

Ha. I guess you are selectively viewing the forum. There was a thread started by "Gangsta" after Pitino's previous KFAN interview that basically called into question his character and did everything you stated never happens. So...no...not a weird post.

Maybe, I just haven't seen it much.

99% of what I've seen has been about our record and his ability to coach. I think if you posted a poll regarding "Do you think Pitino is a good guy?" it would do considerably better than "Do you want Pitino to return as our coach?".

Yes. That's why I think of his personality as irrelevant (well, almost irrelevant); that's not the essential part of the job.
I disagree to a point. PR, recruiting, etc., require a robust personality, but the elite coaches are the complete package including vision, technical prowess, teaching...

I disagree to a point. PR, recruiting, etc., require a robust personality, but the elite coaches are the complete package including vision, technical prowess, teaching...
And some elite coaches also include a good dose of cheating.

Yes, I understand the recruiting part but my view after 7 years is that his recruiting is nothing special (and probably below average) for a Big Ten coach.

Perhaps "irrelevant" is the wrong word. I should have said that personality is not a redeeming quality to an ineffective coach. Nevertheless, his personality seems to have captured many posters on this site. I think people make too much of his blogging and posting cutesy pictures of his kids.

When it comes to Pitino's persona, I'm always reminded of that line in Ghostbusters. More or less: you don't seem like a scientist, more like a game show host. Richard's a decent coach, but he'd be a much better media personality, game show host, politician, etc.
I feel like he's becoming more of an analyst and that is the problem. Going into the last 7 games, he was on the radio before the Iowa pregame. He was talking about we need to 4-3 if you win the right games to make the tournament. I did not like that. Why are you even referring to losing period?

First of all, it was widely assumed 5-2 was the number. Second, I don't think a coach should be looking ahead like that. It's the complete opposite strategy PJ Fleck uses (and he is much more successful). Third, while Pitino can name off all the analytics and always knows where we stand, I think talking about it publicly puts too much pressure on the players and probably himself too.

He should be aware of all those stats and use them. He can think ahead to certain records I guess, but it should be kept to himself or with the other coaches only. To me, it sets the team up for failure and should be kept to the analysts. I think this was his biggest undoing this year. If he was more of the Fleck one game season kind of coach I feel that would be way more successful.

Yes, I understand the recruiting part but my view after 7 years is that his recruiting is nothing special (and probably below average) for a Big Ten coach.

Perhaps "irrelevant" is the wrong word. I should have said that personality is not a redeeming quality to an ineffective coach. Nevertheless, his personality seems to have captured many posters on this site. I think people make too much of his blogging and posting cutesy pictures of his kids.
I've posted this before, and I'll repeat it: we all know people at work who slide by because they're good schmoozers and likeable people. They never really accomplish anything profound, but they don't burn the building down either; they're good enough to get by, and their personality helps.

In sports, the guy I remember was Steve Dils. One of the worst Viking quarterbacks ever in terms of performance, but he was second string ahead of Wade Wilson, and it seemed like he was really good at brown-nosing coach Grant. Meanwhile, the team would have won a few more games in 1983 (with Kramer out for the year) had they given Wilson a chance earlier than the final game--which he won.

I've posted this before, and I'll repeat it: we all know people at work who slide by because they're good schmoozers and likeable people. They never really accomplish anything profound, but they don't burn the building down either; they're good enough to get by, and their personality helps.

In sports, the guy I remember was Steve Dils. One of the worst Viking quarterbacks ever in terms of performance, but he was second string ahead of Wade Wilson, and it seemed like he was really good at brown-nosing coach Grant. Meanwhile, the team would have won a few more games in 1983 (with Kramer out for the year) had they given Wilson a chance earlier than the final game--which he won.
I'm pretty sure I'm that guy.

That Pitino message to KFAN is hilarious. He does have a sense of humor!
He is very engaging. Said it in other posts, he would be great as a national broadcast analyst.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this board who doesn't have a source or an inside man or have a booster in my list of contacts. I have no secret knowledge whatsoever.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this board who doesn't have a source or an inside man or have a booster in my list of contacts. I have no secret knowledge whatsoever.
That makes two of us. I know someone in the program very well but they would never be a source or a inside person as i would never ask more than how things are going for them. The rest is their business just like they would not ask me for information said to me in confidence. I trust that Coyle had so much to consider during this most unusual time.

That is opinion, he does not light up a room, not dynamic in my eyes.

You talking about "dynamic" is super rich. I read your greatest hits more than COVID news.

"Losing conference record"
"Finish higher than Wisconsin"
"Pack-line defense"
"Tony Bennett"
"DeAndre Hunter was a 3-star"
"I've played Pebble Beach. A lot"
"You don't decide who's a fan"
"No identity"

I get that you pretty much regurgitate the same content over and over with some slight changes. I think that's settled and accepted at this point. But please, leave "dynamic" to someone else.

Guy social distancing from a little too far away with a big sign and little letters that reads: Hey, I have been to Pebble Beach a couple times. And I even bought somebody a dream trip with airfare, accommodations on site, green fees etc to play Pebble Beach with their buddy...all on me.

So there.

You talking about "dynamic" is super rich. I read your greatest hits more than COVID news.

"Losing conference record"
"Finish higher than Wisconsin"
"Pack-line defense"
"Tony Bennett"
"DeAndre Hunter was a 3-star"
"I've played Pebble Beach. A lot"
"You don't decide who's a fan"
"No identity"

I get that you pretty much regurgitate the same content over and over with some slight changes. I think that's settled and accepted at this point. But please, leave "dynamic" to someone else.
And you will cover if,but, would have.could have, young, luck, learning. Please leave winning to someone else.

Top Bottom