Pitino on KFAN: If we won 2 more games, we'd be back in the hunt for the NCAA Tourney

GopherLady

Reaction score
These notes are unedited, because I think my brain is on overload with all computer and no human interaction, but Pitino had a great tweet yesterday:

His wife asked him 25 minutes before he had to go onto KFAN if he had to get going…ummm, doesn't take 25 minutes to get out to the car. That's how rough the quarantine has already been in his house.

On the season being cancelled: As devastating as it was for us…I thought in the conference tournament, if we won 2 more games, we could have been back in the hunt for the NCAA tournament. When you tell your seniors, you're done, but what's even tougher is when you hear the AD telling your springs sports that your season is cancelled. I don't think it's going to happen with basketball (getting an extra year of eligibility), because we had some uncertainties at the end of the year.

On Fred Hoiberg: Funny story, or not funny…they played after us and shared the locker room next to us. I saw him, and he gave me the elbow thing. I'm watching Nebraska on TV while I'm watching film, and I see him going down on the bench, and I thought…I'm going to get this thing. Until 1am, I was tossing and turning, and I got a text from our trainer that it wasn't the corona virus.

Our guys hate watching film, and right after we watched film for 45 minutes, we got notice that it was cancelled and the guys were looking at me like…we had to watch all this?

On BTT tourney with no fans? I thought it would evolve into that, we're all touching each other constantly, why am I shaking the refs hands, each other's hands, sweating on each other…and do that with no fans? I knew that was going to change at a fast pace. When Harvard cancelled their deal, I thought it was a major over reaction…then as days passed, we're putting young people in harm's way. It was the right decision. I didn't want to be stuck and travel, wanted to get to home base.

On being back next year after Coyle's announcement being kind of a warning: I took it as we want to be competitive at the highest level…we are competitive, we're just not wining any games (laughing). Mark does everything in his power to help me win. I'm a believer, this is my fight, we've got Athlete's Village, the longer term deal will be to do something with The Barn. I feel 1000% support. No coach around here goes on and off the hot seat like me, but when you don't go to the NCAA tourney, that's how it's going to be. We were 15-16, I get that, our Ken Pom numbers were 27th nationally…that talk is going to happen. I feel 100% supported by Mark. He doesn't need to say we support Richard Pitino and he's going to be here the rest of his life. We're young, and it's my responsibility to not get young. There are situations like Amir going pro…but there have been some recruits that have transferred. We had 2 sophomores that were all conference players (Oturu and Carr). IF we recruit kids that go early to the pros, we need to have guys behind them. I really believe we can win here. I thought we had an outside chance this year to go if it didn't get cancelled.

On Oturu: We met this week…I told him, Daniel, I don't know what you're projected as. GM's and Presidents are consumed with their teams, they don't really talk draft until the tournaments. Now there are pre-draft workouts. We don't even know if that's going to happen. Daniel shouldn't be traveling right now. General managers don't want you to know who they're picking. We've submitted his form into the NBA like we did for Amir, and they project where they'll be drafted. Then you evaluate. We've got great options for him. If he comes back or goes…what's the best situation for you. Will there be a combine? Will teams fly out?

Attachments

• 1584567089191.png
    1584567089191.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 19

Seems like a pretty honest and transparent interview. He takes responsibility for the team "getting young".

Can't wait to see how GopherGangsta or Goldteam or USAF spin this into him being a spoiled rich kid who is "gutless and pathetic". ?

heard the interview. Started with a lot of family and kid stuff- how is the family handling Covid, no school, stuff like that.

Pitino went into more depth on finding out the B1G Tournament was cancelled, notifying the players, etc. Talked about the difficulty of staying in touch with the players when they're not in school. Also said he's concerned about academics when the players have to do everything on-line and they don't have the tutors and the academic support staff to help them.

the other main points of the interview are in Nadine's summary.

On the subject of his job security, Pitino did say something to the effect that, the longer you're around, the more is expected of you, and he understands that. He said "we're close." as noted, he also hit the KenPom talking point, the "we're really young," and the strength of schedule.

Thanks for the write-up.

Obvious response to Pitino: if Grandma had balls, she'd be Grandpa.

Seems like a pretty honest and transparent interview. He takes responsibility for the team "getting young".

Can't wait to see how GopherGangsta or Goldteam or USAF spin this into him being a spoiled rich kid who is "gutless and pathetic". ?
I haven't said any of that. Stop putting words in my mouth.

I've said he's a mediocre at best B1G basketball coach, who doesnt recruit well enough to overcome his lack of coaching skills, and doesnt coach well enough to overcome his lack of recruiting success.

All if which is true.

He'll be gone next spring, anyway. All this did was put off needed improvement for a year.

All I've ever said is I want a new coach. Deep down, you do, too!

I read the report which seems realistic and honest. The comment about the Barn was a little vague. “Do something” can mean anything from tear down to major improvement. The Barn is Minnesota Gopher Basketball. New concourse, restrooms and better seating is what’s needed.

Weird post. I've only really seen him get shit about his coaching ability. The couple of times people brought up his family or background, most of the posters, even the ones that wanted him fired, defended him.

Is it really that hard to see that a completely rational person could want a new basketball coach for purely basketball reasons? He has a worse Big 10 winning% than Monson. Let that sink in.

I have learned the value of the ignore feature. Truly enjoyable....
Incredible. You can ignore all posts of name calling, made up lies, lack of any actual insight, people that speak for you or attempt mind read. My favorite discussions are often with people who have a different take then mine which can inspire a new way of looking at something, a new insight.

Incredible. You can ignore all posts of name calling, made up lies, lack of any actual insight, people that speak for you or attempt mind read. My favorite discussions are often with people who have a different take then mine which can inspire a new way of looking at something, a new insight.

Yes, but you aren't a puss. He is.

That Pitino message to KFAN is hilarious. He does have a sense of humor!

Weird post. I've only really seen him get shit about his coaching ability. The couple of times people brought up his family or background, most of the posters, even the ones that wanted him fired, defended him.

Is it really that hard to see that a completely rational person could want a new basketball coach for purely basketball reasons? He has a worse Big 10 winning% than Monson. Let that sink in.

Ha. I guess you are selectively viewing the forum. There was a thread started by "Gangsta" after Pitino's previous KFAN interview that basically called into question his character and did everything you stated never happens. So...no...not a weird post.

Great stuff. The only things that jumped out to me as concerning were “do something with the Barn” (I suppose it’s gotta be done sometime, but whatever happens I hope it maintains it’s aura) and “our guys hate watching film”- just seemed kinda lazy to me

Pitino cray-cray if he thinks we were two wins from NCAA Tournament.

Amazing, it's not what he actually said and it's really not even close. He said had they won 2 more games after beating Northwestern, they would be in the NCAA conversation. I think they would've been a bubble team if they somehow got to the Big Ten title game, they would've had the same record the year Nebraska got an at-large, with a better SOS.

Delusional and inept as always...The virus saved him this year...When they are below .500 in the B10 next February, Coyle will pull the trigger.

Amazing, it's not what he actually said and it's really not even close. He said had they won 2 more games after beating Northwestern, they would be in the NCAA conversation. I think they would've been a bubble team if they somehow got to the Big Ten title game, they would've had the same record the year Nebraska got an at-large, with a better SOS.
If we got to the B1G title game and lost (that has to be the scenario because if we won the B1G title game then there is no bubble discussion) we would have been 18-17. I don't know what Nebraska team you are referring to, and I'm not aware of any team ever getting an at-large bid at 18-17. No team with more than 15 losses has ever received an at-large bid.

If, could have. Low bar talk to me. At some point every single team besides the one that wins it all can say something that could change how you look at a loss or a ton of losses. And schedule ? Win some of those, were any of them top 3 in their own conference ? Do not lose at home to DePaul. The metrics were far better but 10th in the conference in defense will put you in peril.

Total and utter fraud and, as this posts proves - hypocrite.

Ha. I guess you are selectively viewing the forum. There was a thread started by "Gangsta" after Pitino's previous KFAN interview that basically called into question his character and did everything you stated never happens. So...no...not a weird post.
Exactly.

If, could have. Low bar talk to me. At some point every single team besides the one that wins it all can say something that could change how you look at a loss or a ton of losses. And schedule ? Win some of those, were any of them top 3 in their own conference ? Do not lose at home to DePaul. The metrics were far better but 10th in the conference in defense will put you in peril.
Fraud.

When it comes to Pitino's persona, I'm always reminded of that line in Ghostbusters. More or less: you don't seem like a scientist, more like a game show host. Richard's a decent coach, but he'd be a much better media personality, game show host, politician, etc.

When it comes to Pitino's persona, I'm always reminded of that line in Ghostbusters. More or less: you don't seem like a scientist, more like a game show host. Richard's a decent coach, but he'd be a much better media personality, game show host, politician, etc.

Yes. That's why I think of his personality as irrelevant (well, almost irrelevant); that's not the essential part of the job.

Top Bottom