Pitino on Hollins "Hes not an elite, elite player & I dont think hes ever going to be

per the STrib:

On Monday's Big Ten conference call, one Iowa beat reporter asked whether Hollins was primed to reach the next level and pick up a struggling team. Pitino hedged.

"I don't think Andre is really that type of a player," he said. "Doesn't mean he's not a good player, he is. But I don't think the type of guy who can just put the team on his shoulders and carry us. He's never done that in the two years I've been here."

Later, in a press conference, the coach reiterated that idea.

"He's a good player and he works hard," Pitino said on Monday. "He's not an elite, elite player and I don't think he's ever going to be that. And that's not to say I don't like him on my team, I do. It's not turf toe. Everybody keeps talking about that. He's giving good effort."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/288570411.html

Go Gophers!!

I realize I'm often alone in my thinking, but I'm really disappointed in the answer that Pitino gave. Yes, Hollins is a man and can handle the truth. But Pitino didn't need to say what he said. You just don't do that s**t to your boys. You want a family culture? You want to build a team up? You want your players to love playing for you? You want to attract the best talent? You want to be known as a players' coach? If so, then you don't say what he said. I have no idea if Pitino is or will ever be a great basketball coach. But I'm not used to hearing great coaches speak about their players like that. He could've simply said: "Andre has been great player for this program both before and during my tenure here. Andre has had some great games for this program and has carried this team on several occasions. Andre would tell you he's struggling a little right now, but he's working his butt off and I'm confident he'll have some big games for us yet this year."

Top Bottom