Pitino coming back

You do not cheer the right way, you can not follow other teams and coaches, we must play fast, winning at a slower pace is boring, in fact i've been told i am not a fan for telling a local recruit the truth when asked, i sit too much, i stand too much, Do not criticize the coaching record, pick only the few highlights. All of these are cause for losing your fan card which of course is fictional. You will need to fall in line or your feelings may get hurt by keyboard bullies that call you a fraud or a troll or something else they think causes you pain but will not engage in a actual discussion about actual facts that determine success or failure. If nothing else works you will get if, but, would have ,could have, close.

Oh you're just such a martyr, aren't you?

I think you’re overhyping Fleck, especially compared to what would’ve been a solid upgrade over what we have in the b-ball side.

If Fleck was such a rock star as you claim, why didn’t Alabama, Texas, Ohio Stage etc hire him?? You’re saying Minnesota had the better offer?

Didn't mean to touch a nerve. As to the first part: if you look close enough, which I did one evening shortly after he was hired, you'd agree that Fleck was a star coaching prospect.

The list of coaches who won a MAC football championship in their 30s is pretty short. It includes Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and Don James, who all went on to win national championships at P5 schools. Fleck is on that list, in fact he's the youngest coach to do it as I recall. Does that guarantee he'll win a NC here? Of course not. If you want to call that "overhyped," then we'll have to disagree.

As to the second part: why would Bama or OSU have fired Saban or Meyer in 2016 just so they could hire Fleck? That would have been diotic. As for Texas, unlike practically every B1G school, they've never poached a MAC coach. Doubt they ever will.

Oh you're just such a martyr, aren't you?
Hardly, i do not see myself as a victim. I blocked those that only offer name calling and never any basketball insight.Saves me time so i can have civil exchanges in agreement and disagreement. That way they can still use the keyboard but i can not see it.

Sadly, unless Oturu returns, I'd say impossibly high.

He couldn't finish .500 in the B1G with both Murphy and Coffee.
Impossibly. OK. Let's bookmark that. It would take a heck of a good coach to beat impossible.

Impossibly. OK. Let's bookmark that. It would take a heck of a good coach to beat impossible.
Well, one thing we know for certain is, nobody--NObody--considers Pitino a "heck of a good coach."

So I'm not too worried.

LOL. "They care about winning tournament games."

Pitino has won 1 NCAA game in 7 years.

And for the record, LOTS of Gopher fans care about the conference record.

Congrats, BTW, on the single most nonsensical post in recent GH history.
Meanwhile, Haskins took over a train wreck and won 5 NCAA tournament games in his first four years. That's what success looks like.

Well, one thing we know for certain is, nobody--NObody--considers Pitino a "heck of a good coach."

So I'm not too worried.
So it would worry you that we might do well?

Meanwhile, Haskins took over a train wreck and won 5 NCAA tournament games in his first four years. That's what success looks like.
Pretty deceiving as to what was going on here. Haskins sure left a train wreck when he left here. That's not what success looks like.

Not at face value, but if you know the circumstances of that record it isn't as bad as some think. I also said the last two years. He achieved nearly the same thing the last two years. Competitive bubble team.
I think your the only guy on here that is reasonable about what has happened the last few years. I agree with you. If you give the one year where coffey got hurt and lynch got suspended and change that record and possibly make tourney that year record isn't so bad and we have one of the best coaches weve had here in a long time. If that happens we have a statue for this guy. Program not that far off if you look reasonable. In my opinion program on upswing. Call me crazy!

I think your the only guy on here that is reasonable about what has happened the last few years. I agree with you. If you give the one year where coffey got hurt and lynch got suspended and change that record and possibly make tourney that year record isn't so bad and we have one of the best coaches weve had here in a long time. If that happens we have a statue for this guy. Program not that far off if you look reasonable. In my opinion program on upswing. Call me crazy!
If you just reverse the WL record, he's 82-48 in the B1G!!

You are only as good as the talent you recruit and coach up. So far bubble level recruiting has provided bubble level results. With Oturu leaving and no appreciable recruit to take his place, UMN will be a bubble or off the bubble team next season.

Ummm, do you mean just this thread? I'm kinda hurt (not really, but still, do you read other threads?). This board has a large portion that seem to confuse their hopes with reasonable expectations. I hope the Gophers win the B1G every year, but realize they have many more disadvantages than advantages relative to other B1G programs. In society, in many situations a rising tide lifts all boats. In sports, it is a zero sum game. Every game has one happy fan base and one upset fanbase. The negativity towards a coach that has gotten us to the tourney 2 of the last 3 NCAA tournaments (with a win despite key injuries both tourneys) is baffling to me. There is also a long term trend of improvement. I don't think the decision to keep Pitino was even a close call. Everyone with PDS should take a step back and consider why they were so mistaken by their negativity, but I won't hold my breath.

Didn't mean to touch a nerve. As to the first part: if you look close enough, which I did one evening shortly after he was hired, you'd agree that Fleck was a star coaching prospect.

The list of coaches who won a MAC football championship in their 30s is pretty short. It includes Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and Don James, who all went on to win national championships at P5 schools. Fleck is on that list, in fact he's the youngest coach to do it as I recall. Does that guarantee he'll win a NC here? Of course not. If you want to call that "overhyped," then we'll have to disagree.

As to the second part: why would Bama or OSU have fired Saban or Meyer in 2016 just so they could hire Fleck? That would have been diotic. As for Texas, unlike practically every B1G school, they've never poached a MAC coach. Doubt they ever will.
Schembechler did not win a national championship.

Ummm, do you mean just this thread? I'm kinda hurt (not really, but still, do you read other threads?). This board has a large portion that seem to confuse their hopes with reasonable expectations. I hope the Gophers win the B1G every year, but realize they have many more disadvantages than advantages relative to other B1G programs. In society, in many situations a rising tide lifts all boats. In sports, it is a zero sum game. Every game has one happy fan base and one upset fanbase. The negativity towards a coach that has gotten us to the tourney 2 of the last 3 NCAA tournaments (with a win despite key injuries both tourneys) is baffling to me. There is also a long term trend of improvement. I don't think the decision to keep Pitino was even a close call. Everyone with PDS should take a step back and consider why they were so mistaken by their negativity, but I won't hold my breath.
Agree with what you say here but wondering if you could expound a bit more on what you see as disadvantages. Right or wrong I have often thought our climate and campus location may be negatives as far as recruiting is concerned for major sports. On the other hand I feel that the great business environment and connections with major corporations is a positive.

Last edited:

Hmmm. I guess Coyle has not had, or perhaps communicated, championship expectations to rp since Coyle has been ad at Mn. Interesting.

Your not crazy but some might say you have PDS in how you look at it. I see 2 NCAA'S in 7 years, one NCAA win in 7 years, 48-82 in the conference, never finishing above UW. No identity,zero national relevance , declining attendance.

Ridiculous. The 48 - 82 B10 record says it all. The people that accept this mediocrity is sickening, and the reason this program isn't going anywhere. This is a bad program, and it's not getting better under Richard. Next year without Oturu, 8-10th place seems to be the ceiling. Bad recruiting, bad coaching is a bad combo platter.

As to the second part: why would Bama or OSU have fired Saban or Meyer in 2016 just so they could hire Fleck? That would have been diotic.
This is the meat of your argument, and to me it reeks of trying to have it both ways.

You first claim Fleck is a rockstar, on the level of Hayes, Schembechler, and James, so he was an obvious slam-dunk hire by Coyle. Then you walk it back that obviously he wasn't the next coming of Vince Lombardi, as it would've been idiotic to fire a known good coach to hire him, and that other major national football brands wouldn't hire him.

So he's really good, but not that really good.

Craig Smith is 47, and won the MWC tournament in his first year at Utah St at age 46. How many have won the MWC tournament in their 40s? And what did they amount to? I don't know, and likely am not going to spend the time to research it.

But he seems an obvious upgrade over what Pitino has been able to accomplish here, and he's from Minnesota. That would've been good enough for me, to give him a try.

Guess we'll see what happens next season.

The negativity towards a coach that has gotten us to the tourney 2 of the last 3 NCAA tournaments (with a win despite key injuries both tourneys) is baffling to me.
This is so absurd, it makes me think you're just trolling.

Purposefully ignoring the other seasons. Purposefully ignoring the actual content of each season. Purposefully ignoring how bad this (and other) seasons were.

Nonsense

It's not black and white. People are allowed to have a variety of opinions.

I am a Gopher fan. I want the Gophers to win, whether the Coach is Rich Pitino or Fred Farkle.

If the Gophers won a B1G title under Pitino, I would be very happy.

But - I just don't expect that to happen. After 7 years of Pitino, I still see a team that has no consistent identity, always lacks depth, and has trouble executing in late-game situations. And the recruiting has been very hit-and-miss.

So - I can root for the Gophers to win under Pitino - and at the same time, I can hold the belief that the Gophers would be better off with a different coach. That is not a contradiction.

I also understand that changing coaches is no guarantee. the next guy could come in here and have a worse record than Pitino. And attendance could get even worse. But part of being a fan is having hope in defiance of logic. And a new coach would at least give fans some hope - and maybe even sell a couple of tickets.

This is not only absurd it’s delusional.

I am a Gopher fan. I want the Gophers to win, whether the Coach is Rich Pitino or Fred Farkle.

But - I just don't expect that to happen. After 7 years of Pitino, I still see a team that has no consistent identity, always lacks depth, and has trouble executing in late-game situations. And the recruiting has been very hit-and-miss.

So - I can root for the Gophers to win under Pitino - and at the same time, I can hold the belief that the Gophers would be better off with a different coach. That is not a contradiction.

I also understand that changing coaches is no guarantee. the next guy could come in here and have a worse record than Pitino. And attendance could get even worse. But part of being a fan is having hope in defiance of logic. And a new coach would at least give fans some hope - and maybe even sell a couple of tickets.
Is Fred Farkle available?

This made me laugh. This is one of the best things about the GopherHole - clever posts to add some levity.
You do not cheer the right way, you can not follow other teams and coaches, we must play fast, winning at a slower pace is boring, in fact i've been told i am not a fan for telling a local recruit the truth when asked, i sit too much, i stand too much, Do not criticize the coaching record, pick only the few highlights. All of these are cause for losing your fan card which of course is fictional. You will need to fall in line or your feelings may get hurt by keyboard bullies that call you a fraud or a troll or something else they think causes you pain but will not engage in a actual discussion about actual facts that determine success or failure. If nothing else works you will get if, but, would have ,could have, close.

In summation, Pitino has been so bad, being called a non-fan is the only defense.

Go ahead gopher8190 and list those disadvantages that we have here relative to other Big Ten schools. The arena, school, location, practice facility, fan base (if winning) are all competitive or better than other fellow institutions. The only clear cut disadvantage, in my opinion, is a coach who after 7 years hasn't been able to build a consistent winner by securing the necessary talent and depth to sustain success and momentum in the basketball program.

I have to give it you on that one GT. I really think we improved on the things this year, at least to me, that made last year almost impossible to watch at times. Zero ball movement and lack of effort on D. Record withstanding we gave ourselves a chance to win in almost every game.

I have to give it you on that one GT. I really think we improved on the things this year, at least to me, that made last year almost impossible to watch at times. Zero ball movement and lack of effort on D. Record withstanding we gave ourselves a chance to win in almost every game.
Saw several things i liked but i can guarantee that when your 10th in defense you will not contend at the top of a conference.

Top Bottom