PiPress: Will Johnson says Gophers, W Va top list: UPDATED with WVa Commitment

Not to mention, one would assume that if Kill was taking two quarterbacks this year, making 8 quarterbacks under scholarship, he did this with the knowledge that at least one of them would leave (or be nudged to do so). Otherwise, placing 10% of your scholarships into a position that, at most, only two people can play, is a bit excessive.

Coach Kill likes to have a wildcat QB/RB to reduce hits on the regular QB's. I'm sure that that will be Dexter Foreman. I think that Pride and Parrish were given the opportunity to win that position, but didn't, so if they want to play they need to move on.

I don't think Alipate transfers. I think he's in Carlson's undergraduate program (I thought I remember hearing that during one of those videos this summer), and he is going into his 4th year of school. Academically, that doesn't make a lot of sense for him to move on.

Prediction: Alipate stays until he graduates with his undergrad degree, then transfers to St. Thomas for his final year of eligibility.

It might be tough for him to go start immedietly at St. Thomas in a couple years. St. Thomas has a SR QB this season, but his backup is a kid named Connelly or O'Connell and he is a FR from WI. I have a hard time believing that an Alipate who hasn't taken a snap in 4 years is going to go to St. Thomas and overtake the starting QB position from a returning starter. It could happen, but I kind of doubt it.

Matt O'Connell @MattOConnellGI

Osseo tight end Will Johnson has committed to West Virginia

The grass is always greener.

Best of luck to ya, kid - enjoy being an offensive tackle.

Still puzzling to me why he would choose WVU over us, but best of luck to him and here's to hoping he changes his mind and in the end decides to stay home.

I'm glad he didn't commit and decommit like McDonald did, he showed how an in state guy should go about his recruitment if he's set on leaving. Didn't drag it out or leave the staff at Mn hanging.
Good luck to him, I'd bet he's playing OT by mid fall though.

I'm glad he didn't commit and decommit like McDonald did, he showed how an in state guy should go about his recruitment if he's set on leaving. Didn't drag it out or leave the staff at Mn hanging.
Good luck to him, I'd bet he's playing OT by mid fall though.

Agree. Wish he would have chosen us. I think he could have been a very helpful piece on offense.

Does he have family in West Virginia or something? I never understood his fascination with them, I mean I understand wanting to leave the state for college and explore but West Virginia?

I've been to West Virginia before...Tons of hot babes, cool cities, stuff to do

I definitely never felt like I was going to be raped at any moment

Well. Moving on. It always seemed like he wanted to get away and I can't blame a kid for that. I haven't wanted to bring this up before, but this kid reminds me of Joey Hiben from Waconia a few years back (I believe went to ND then transferred here then eventually quit football altogether). He had the perfect frame and was athletic, but in hs he was very underwhelming and had poor stats. Will Johnson reminds me of that, all the potential in the world, but I would be surprised if he really finds a niche and becomes an elite player. Just my opinion, but Will Johnson seems like a project that may never get finished. Either way, best of luck to him on all his future endeavors.

Bummer. Would have been nice to add Johnson to the Gopher list.

I don't think Alipate transfers. I think he's in Carlson's undergraduate program (I thought I remember hearing that during one of those videos this summer), and he is going into his 4th year of school. Academically, that doesn't make a lot of sense for him to move on.

FWIW Alipate's not in Carlson (per onestop.umn.edu)

People Search Results
Moses Alipate
Educ/Hum Dev
[email protected]

I just hope he hasn't been sold something that's not true. His prospects at TE in West Virginia seem a bit confusing. That said, it might be for the best. I always thought his future was going to be at OT and the West Virginia offense might force that sooner rather than later. He's a talented kid and it would have been nice to have him in Maroon and Gold. Good luck!

Good luck to him, I hope he has a great time there.
The only in-state player that I am disappointed to lose is McDonald because we don't produce lots of big, physical receivers, but we'll live.

It's a tough loss. We've got to keep the best MN players in-state and we did good with Pirsig, Hayes, and Nelson, but losing McDonald and Johnson hurts. I realize some guys want to leave, but it really would have been nice to have landed at least one of those two.

I just chalk it up to a kid that was bound and determined to go away for school. I credit Coach Kill for making it hard for him.

He seemed to approach it from an attitude of wanting to be elsewhere...best wishes to him.

The past few years though, I think the U has been doing a much better job of keeping the kids home...

He always seemed like he was interested in going elsewhere, and I give him credit for being honest. I'd rather a kid be straight than commit, talk about how he was going to recruit other guys, and then decommit.

I agree with Bob; I hope he realizes that he's going to be an offensive tackle in that offense (judging by his comments, he doesn't).

For some reason, I fee like we haven't heard the last of Will Johnson, whether it be in his recruitment or a couple years down the line with him wanting to transfer.

Too bad we couldn't get him, since it's always nice to keep the in-state kids at home, but I think we'll be okay at TE next year. Rabe is solid and, immediately after the year, Kendall Gregory McGee moved to TE (where he was a standout in high school) and I think he has a lot of potential there.

What's with people being negative about WVU, it's a pretty solid football school.

Does he have family in West Virginia or something? I never understood his fascination with them, I mean I understand wanting to leave the state for college and explore but West Virginia?

Very Strange. As I remember, the kids was real high on Ole Miss prior to Nutt getting fired. I believe he even visited in the Summer. He went from favoring Ole Miss to West Virginia. I'm sorry, but the kid has an affinity with really bad schools. I do business with Ole Miss and it's not a good school at all. West Virginia has always been the school kids went to who couldn't get in at Penn State and Pitt.

Gopherprof;474808[B said:
]He always seemed like he was interested in going elsewhere, and I give him credit for being honest. I'd rather a kid be straight than commit, talk about how he was going to recruit other guys, and then decommit.[/B]

I agree with Bob; I hope he realizes that he's going to be an offensive tackle in that offense (judging by his comments, he doesn't).

Agree 100%. Whether or not it's the right decision will be revealed soon enough, but this is a big decision for an 18-year-old and I'm glad he took his time and never blew any smoke up our butts during the recruiting process.

Their fans trashing the U because Michael Carter chose us over them.
Ok? Our program was mediocre, there's was good. At least they weren't just saying "Really? Minnesota?" without saying why they are saying that.

Top Bottom