PiPress: Will Johnson says Gophers, W Va top list: UPDATED with WVa Commitment

No matter the circumstance, I selfishly always hate when a player leaves the program. In Pride's case, I wish him good luck but can say that it probably wouldn't have worked out for him anyway if he stayed.

Pride transferring opens up another scholly for this years recruiting class, correct?

Pride transferring opens up another scholly for this years recruiting class, correct?
Yes.

Pride was always a risky/borderline offer, but he stayed out of trouble both legally and academically, so I salute his efforts. He always reminded me of John Nance, and is now transfering for the same reasons.

If he wants to be a QB, the FCS would be a good opportunity.

wasn't some of the talk initially that brewster and company's main drive behind offering j.d. pride a scholarship was to perhaps entice seantrel henderson to come along to the U with him? if i am not mistaken it was because j.d. and seantrel were really good friends.

wasn't some of the talk initially that brewster and company's main drive behind offering j.d. pride a scholarship was to perhaps entice seantrel henderson to come along to the U with him? if i am not mistaken it was because j.d. and seantrel were really good friends.
Yes, there was a lot of speculation. Seantrel visited lots of camps with Pride and many felt it was with the intention of getting Pride an offer as a package. All of that could be complete B.S. and Brewster simply felt Pride was worth the offer, hard to say.

Yep, Pride will open up a scholarship and he will do so without hurting our APR. He will leave in good academic standing. It didn't work out for him here but he is really a good kid. I know he got swept up into some of the Seantrel backlash (understandably). But he did everything he could to help the U, and it's probably best for everyone involved that he move on. Good luck JD.

As far Will Johnson, West Virginia just doesn't make sense to me. I only say that because they do not use a TE. If they do, it's rare. They do not even have a TE's coach. I'm sure he knows more than I would, but from the outside, it looks peculiar. That is unless he is now interested in playing T.

Yes, there was a lot of speculation. Seantrel visited lots of camps with Pride and many felt it was with the intention of getting Pride an offer as a package. All of that could be complete B.S. and Brewster simply felt Pride was worth the offer, hard to say.

I completely forgot about that speculation. That said, I can completely understand why he would want to transfer.

Yes.

Pride was always a risky/borderline offer, but he stayed out of trouble both legally and academically, so I salute his efforts. He always reminded me of John Nance, and is now transfering for the same reasons.

If he wants to be a QB, the FCS would be a good opportunity.

Nance is a similar type of athlete. They were both borderline Big 10 type of athletes. However, Nance left to go play basketball. He plays for St. Thomas. I actually think Nance would have had an easier transition to WR than Pride. Nance is like 6'3"/6'4", but I think his heart was always in basketball.

Pride is a legacy gopher. Nothing wrong with giving it a shot and now transferring to an FCS school to play QB. Good luck to him, hope he wins alot as an FCS QB.

As for Johnson, West Virginia? Someone is seriously feeding him some bull if he thinks his role will be the same there as it would be here.
There: Possibly a passing shot at an inside receiver position in the Air Raid, most likely as a RS, immediately switched to OT and will never catch a ball again. NFL potential TE skills wasted. Plus it's west virginia. Think "Deliverance".

Here:probably compete for starting job 3-4 years, catching 20+ balls a year at a minimum, learning in line blocking NFL teams desire in a complete TE skill set.
Hometown squad, rebirth of the program, top notch BIGten education.

By "same reasons" I meant "having no shot as a QB." Should have made that clearer.

I didn't realize Pride was short (for a QB) until I just looked it up.

Pride is a legacy gopher. Nothing wrong with giving it a shot and now transferring to an FCS school to play QB. Good luck to him, hope he wins alot as an FCS QB.

As for Johnson, West Virginia? Someone is seriously feeding him some bull if he thinks his role will be the same there as it would be here.
There: Possibly a passing shot at an inside receiver position in the Air Raid, most likely as a RS, immediately switched to OT and will never catch a ball again. NFL potential TE skills wasted. Plus it's west virginia. Think "Deliverance".

Here:probably compete for starting job 3-4 years, catching 20+ balls a year at a minimum, learning in line blocking NFL teams desire in a complete TE skill set.

:D

I completely forgot about that speculation. That said, I can completely understand why he would want to transfer.

Yeah, they are like family. JD's dad was always really involved in youth sports and he is an alum of the U. They both went to Cretin together (JD eventually transferred to Totino). If I had to guess, I would say that the speculation is probably accurate, or at least his bond with Seantrel was a factor. JD is an athletic kid, he works his butt off (like his entire family does, the Barbers and JD SR), and he was best friends with the best recruit in the nation...I think it was a combo of all of those things. Seantrel certainly had friends who played football who didn't get offered by the U.

I really don't see how Johnson fits the mold of their inside receiver. They played some players at that position that were TE types, but I don't think that'll be the case when they get some more recruiting classes in there. I hope he isn't getting lied to, because if he thinks he is going to be a traditional TE in West Virginia, I just don't see it.

I wish Pride well, and I agree it is probably best for him. He would spend the rest of his time buried I suspect. At least in transferring, he can go to a school that might give him a shot at QB. At the U, there is Gray, Shortell, Nelson coming in and a few others as well. Even with injuries, he would not get close to playing.

I really don't see how Johnson fits the mold of their inside receiver. They played some players at that position that were TE types, but I don't think that'll be the case when they get some more recruiting classes in there. I hope he isn't getting lied to, because if he thinks he is going to be a traditional TE in West Virginia, I just don't see it.

He doesn't, that's the point. Even the Mountaineer scout board was confused until someone mentioned this is the type of kid they recruit as OTs.
Maybe he's ok with that, but if I remember that's what Auburn and Ol Miss were recruiting him as an those are much nicer locations than WVa.

I'm really hoping we can land Will Johnson. He's the kind of kid who can be a match-up nightmare.

Too bad about Pride. As someone above said, you always hate to see kids in good standing leave the program.

I'm really hoping we can land Will Johnson. He's the kind of kid who can be a match-up nightmare.

Too bad about Pride. As someone above said, you always hate to see kids in good standing leave the program.

Yeah, in some ways it's too bad but in some ways it's still kind of a nice story. This isn't the story of some kids who leave the program and you know they are throwing their life away. JD is getting good grades, he'll go and play QB for an FCS school. He'll do well.

I would be shocked if Johnson does not go to the U.

I'm all for Pride getting an opportunity somewhere. I just always hate to see kids in good standing leave.

The young man saw the hand writing on the wall. I'm wondering about Alipate and Parish? Could they be next?

I agree with most, if playing TE is his goal, it really doesn't make much sense for Johnson to go to West Virginia. There's early playing time for the taking at TE at Minnesota though.

Good luck to J.D. Pride. I hope things work out for him.

Speaking of Pride and QBs who may never see the field, any word on Alipate? Is he still around? Is he going to try a little TE?

JD Pride transferring

Gophers receiver J.D. Pride, who quarterbacked Totino-Grace to the 2009 Class 4A championship, has been granted a release from his scholarship at Minnesota and intends to transfer to play his original position, his father, J.D. Pride Sr., said Thursday.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/135306138.html

Are people thinking Parish will leave because he doesn't have the skills and will never play, or because they believe he'll be likely end up buried on the depth chart?

Are people thinking Parish will leave because he doesn't have the skills and will never play, or because they believe he'll be likely end up buried on the depth chart?

I think Parish has the skills to be a D1 QB. I don't think he is as skilled as Shortell or Nelson though, so i'd imagine he will be buried on the depth chart. He's in a tough spot. I actually thought that he was going to be our #2 this past season. It seems as though he is going to be #3 (at best) next year, and #2 is likely going to be younger than him (Shortell), with another RS who will pass him (Nelson) being younger. There just doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel as far as getting PT.

The young man saw the hand writing on the wall. I'm wondering about Alipate and Parish? Could they be next?

I don't think Alipate transfers. I think he's in Carlson's undergraduate program (I thought I remember hearing that during one of those videos this summer), and he is going into his 4th year of school. Academically, that doesn't make a lot of sense for him to move on.

Top Bottom