PiPress: Seantrel Henderson dealing with painful past, uncertain future

PHP:

So you wouldn't have wanted a 6-8 330 pound RT that is a projected mid round draft pick on you're O-line

I wouldn't want THAT 6-8 330 pound RT that is a projected mid round draft pick on my O-line

One night last summer, I was at the lake with my oldest son. We were sitting on the dock and it was the clearest night I can ever remember. The stars were just thick, from horizon to horizon. There was a loon calling out in the background and I just sort of got caught up in the moment. I put my arm around my boy with one arm and pointed up at those stars with my other arm and said, "Son, that is how many Seantrel Henderson threads there have been on Gopher Hole since I registered."

I am sitting in the audience of a boring legislative hearing and this just brightened the enterprise immensely.

PHP:

So you wouldn't have wanted a 6-8 330 pound RT that is a projected mid round draft pick on you're O-line that may have also been able to reverse the Cretin curse of top kids leaving state. Sure you wouldn't. Even though he never exactly lived up to the immense hype and he did have some off field issues as well he would have probably been our best O-lineman this year, last year and Limegrover probably would have been able to coach him as well

The last thing this program needs is the #1 recruit in the country playing football here and absolutely busting. It would kill our recruiting for as long as the staff is in place and probably longer. So yes, I count my blessing every day that he didn't commit here. It would have been a disaster of epic proportions.

The last thing this program needs is the #1 recruit in the country playing football here and absolutely busting. It would kill our recruiting for as long as the staff is in place and probably longer. So yes, I count my blessing every day that he didn't commit here. It would have been a disaster of epic proportions.

Either you are being sarcastic, or you don't understand what a bust is.

I believe the definition of bust is Seantrel Henderson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another quick segment from rotoworld...

Miami T Seantrel Henderson "quit" halfway through his pro day workout, according to Chris Mortensen.
"No explanation yet," Mortensen tweeted. "Disappointing." Seantrel Henderson has had plenty of ups and downs during his career after being a highly touted recruit. He has so much talent but never nailed down a full-time starting job, reportedly due to off the field inconsistencies. He has great tools, but has not put them together. We should say an explanation would be appropriate, if there is one, before concluding or bashing Henderson.
Source: Chris Mortensen on Twitter Apr 3 - 3:18 PM

I bet he still gets drafted but his stock will drop even further.

I believe the definition of bust is Seantrel Henderson.

That's just silly. There are a ton of 5 star recruits that never even started in college and plenty who left school and left football before ever making an impact. A kid that's going to be a mid round draft pick is far from a 'bust'. No he didn't live up to the expectations but he still turned into a far above average player. There are probably a thousand graduating offensive linemen in college and he'll still be one of the 50 or so drafted into the NFL. Far from a bust

Can't believe people are just assuming he'll get drafted. Players that leave their pro day for no apparent reason don't get the benefit of the doubt on draft day. He'll be a 6th or 7th round pick at best and will be lucky to make a final roster.

He's a mid round pick based on potential (size and athleticism). To think he was anything more than a disappointment as a college player is ridiculous.

Kid seems to have an attitude problem. Quitting in the middle of your pro day workout is a horrible sign and could cost him on draft day.

Having said that, I also am happy he didn't become a Gopher. The reason is simple: The baggage.

By most accounts, he never has come close to reaching his potential and it seems the folks that came with him constituted more of a circus than an actual support system. I know there was some talk that he's a pretty quiet individual and he was prone to being influenced by others in the background. Knowing what we do about Kill and his approach, this would have added the potential for major conflicts between Kill and Henderson's "people."

Would he have turned into a great player here? Maybe, but it's a moot point. He says he's learned from his mistakes, but quitting during your pro day workout would likely indicate otherwise to pro scouts. Not sure he's learned as much as he's letting on.

Can't believe people are just assuming he'll get drafted. Players that leave their pro day for no apparent reason don't get the benefit of the doubt on draft day. He'll be a 6th or 7th round pick at best and will be lucky to make a final roster.

Everything I've read about it said he didn't quit the pro-day, just didn't do a second round of drills. He was seen as probably a 3rd round type I think but with 1st round talent. Someone will take a shot at him and hope they can get his head on straight.

I've often wondered if Henderson has a passion for football. The guy has all of the physical skills to be a beast. If you don't have your heart into it, what a curse. It's easy for the masses to think Henderson is blowing his chances. Could all of these small signs really be telling us that he doesn't want to play in the NFL?

That's just silly. There are a ton of 5 star recruits that never even started in college and plenty who left school and left football before ever making an impact. A kid that's going to be a mid round draft pick is far from a 'bust'. No he didn't live up to the expectations but he still turned into a far above average player. There are probably a thousand graduating offensive linemen in college and he'll still be one of the 50 or so drafted into the NFL. Far from a bust

The guy said he was the definition of a bust. Not the worst bust of all time. He was the #1 overall recruit in the country. #1 overall recruits that live up to their potential get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. Not in the mid to late rounds because some team decided to take a flyer on his athletic potential. A player with that kind of attitude and production without his athletic potential doesn't get drafted.

The guy said he was the definition of a bust. Not the worst bust of all time. He was the #1 overall recruit in the country. #1 overall recruits that live up to their potential get drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. Not in the mid to late rounds because some team decided to take a flyer on his athletic potential. A player with that kind of attitude and production without his athletic potential doesn't get drafted.

That's not what a bust is. A bust is someone that can't play. Ryan Leaf was a bust. Reggie Bush wasn't. Bush didn't live up to his hype as the #1 pick but became an above average player in the league. Being ranked #1 and not being a 1st or 2nd round pick is not being a bust. It means that the guys that rank high school players (who aren't coaches) rated him higher than he ended up performing. But if he gets drafted that still puts him in an elite class as one of the very best football players in the country. That's not being a bust. Being a bust would be him not even getting a sniff at the NFL Being a bust is being Mitch Mustain who was the #1 player and got beat out by 2 different QBs at USC. You can't call someone who still performs well enough to be in the top 1% of CFB OL a bust. That's ridiculous and nonsensical. He was still a really really good player, just not the best player.

He was a college "bust".

Can't be an NFL draft "bust" when no one expects much to begin with based on college play.

He was a college "bust".

Can't be an NFL draft "bust" when no one expects much to begin with based on college play.

Still disagree. He was still good enough to get drafted which means that on the field he performed well, although not to the level expected. Was it disappointing? I'm sure. Underachiever? Sure. Bust? No. He still played well

Projected 4th round picks don't just go undrafted. Projected 6th and 7th round picks go undrafted. Some even have him going in the 3rd. He isn't going undrafted.

Also are we sure that he "quit" halfway through his pro day? Sounds to me that he just made up his mind on the spot instead of before that he was only going to do certain drills and opt out of other drill and stand on his combine performance and what not. I wouldn't call that "quitting."

Still disagree. He was still good enough to get drafted which means that on the field he performed well, although not to the level expected. Was it disappointing? I'm sure. Underachiever? Sure. Bust? No. He still played well

He went from being called "a cross between Johnathan Ogden and Orlando Pace" and "Probably the most polished lineman of the past decade" to a situation starter that was suspended 3 times. If he's drafted by the NFL it's for his potential because players with his production don't get drafted by the NFL. Seantrel Henderson is a bust. Maybe not to the magnitude of Mitch Mustain but a bust nevertheless.

Projected 4th round picks don't just go undrafted. Projected 6th and 7th round picks go undrafted. Some even have him going in the 3rd. He isn't going undrafted.

Also are we sure that he "quit" halfway through his pro day? Sounds to me that he just made up his mind on the spot instead of before that he was only going to do certain drills and opt out of other drill and stand on his combine performance and what not. I wouldn't call that "quitting."

If that was the case his agent would have been all over twitter correcting someone as mainstream as Chris Mortensen.

So folks are debating if SH was a bust? Let me simplify the debate - he was! Does that mean he can't succeed in the NFL? No, but try telling anyone in the Miami program that he wasn't a bust.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk

The supposition that he should have been here and not the University of Miami is seriously flawed. He would be in no better or worse hands than here. We know Jerry Kill does a great job with students. I just don't think other universities have that much less of a standard than Coach Kill in terms of ethics, discipline, and academics. Seantrel must have made choices disregarding the support given him or he would not have been in trouble to begin with.

How about this - instead of a "bust," let's call him a "disappointment."

If he gets drafted, and makes it in the NFL, that is not a "bust" in my book. A "bust" for me is someone who completely flames out. Henderson was at least a part-time starter at a major D1 program, and is likely to be drafted. But, as a former #1 HS prospect, it's fair to call him a disappointment for not doing more with his ability.

How about this - instead of a "bust," let's call him a "disappointment."

If he gets drafted, and makes it in the NFL, that is not a "bust" in my book. A "bust" for me is someone who completely flames out. Henderson was at least a part-time starter at a major D1 program, and is likely to be drafted. But, as a former #1 HS prospect, it's fair to call him a disappointment for not doing more with his ability.

That certainly would be more correct. The dictionary definition for a "bust" that applies to what people are discussing here is "failure". I appreciate your objectivity on this board shorty.

The supposition that he should have been here and not the University of Miami is seriously flawed. He would be in no better or worse hands than here. We know Jerry Kill does a great job with students. I just don't think other universities have that much less of a standard than Coach Kill in terms of ethics, discipline, and academics. Seantrel must have made choices disregarding the support given him or he would not have been in trouble to begin with.

It's more about the fact that all signs pointed to him wanting to be here and feeling most comfortable here. He was always a quiet, humble kid that seemed to like but not love football and was more comfortable in his circle in his hometown. Word is he was all set to stay home before his dad came in the picture and pushed him to go to a higher profile school, away from his friends and support system yah it's clear he needed. In hindsight it's no real surprise that he's had issues sense then

I was always under the impression that once his dad re entered his life that really ****ed things up. Serious whose still an aspiring rapper at 45? Give it up you suck

I'm just disappointed that he did not achieve to his reported potential.

Mr. Henderson is illustrative of the crap shoot it is to project a 18 year old kid. Henderson was man among boys in high school football. He never truly dominated in college. Too often 5 stars represents how you played in high school, and Division 1 is a whole new game. The same thing could have been said about one Willie Mobley. Coach Kill's skill is in the ability to see the 18 year old who is still improving, and becomes that diamond in the rough.

Mr. Henderson is illustrative of the crap shoot it is to project a 18 year old kid. Henderson was man among boys in high school football. He never truly dominated in college. Too often 5 stars represents how you played in high school, and Division 1 is a whole new game. The same thing could have been said about one Willie Mobley. Coach Kill's skill is in the ability to see the 18 year old who is still improving, and becomes that diamond in the rough.

Not really. You can't predict or rate the mental and emotional aspects of a player reaching his potential. SH had absolutely great physical tools and still does. There will always be people that overperform and those that underperform.

Top Bottom