PiPress: Kill aghast at players' inattention to conditioning, academics

I look at the fact that 2 of our 3 wins came once our head coach was canned. Apparently there are coaches who CAN win with these guys. Those 2 wins should not be ignored, Iowa and Illinois were the only 2 Big Ten teams to win their bowl games.

I think our recent records have a lot to do with poor coaching and organization besides the talent of the players on the field (not completely of course, but it shouldn't be overlooked).

Kill is trying to get these guys to work harder, hence the harsh comments in public. You don't get guys to work harder by blowing smoke up their rears, ie. you don't talk about how talented your team is when your trying to have battles at every starting position.

Remember Ohio State won the Sugar Bowl.

Some of you are going to be in a rude awakening when Kill never does anything special here. That's what he has proven his whole career, he is mediocre. I still cannot figure out what is making people fall in love with him, but some people will be pretty disappointed in a few years.

Some of you are going to be in a rude awakening when Kill never does anything special here. That's what he has proven his whole career, he is mediocre. I still cannot figure out what is making people fall in love with him, but some people will be pretty disappointed in a few years.

6-4
7-3
7-3
9-2
9-2

5-6
6-5

1-10
4-8
10-2
10-2
9-4
9-4
12-2

6-7
7-6
9-3

In his previous 17 years as a head coach, he's had 4 seasons with a losing record, and another 3 with records in the .500-.600 range - each coming in his first two years at a school. The other 10 seasons he has a 91-27 record (.771). You can easily doubt that this success will translate to the Big Ten but to say he has been nothing but "mediocre" is off base, IMO.

Kill should be happy he didn't get the team in the condition Brewster did a few years ago. We have much more talent on this team now then we did when Brewster took over.
Look at the linebacker position for one example.

Kill talks as if he has completely nothing and people lap it up like thirsty puppies. In my book we should finish .500 this year or Kill did a poor coaching job. And that's not asking very much at all.

Paging Wren...Paging Wren...

I guess making it to your conference title game in year 3 is mediocre. If that is truly the definition of mediocre, I sure as heck hope the Gophs become mediocre under Kill.

Get lost.

I am very impressed with his MAC record, I apologize.

Were you also pleased with Tressel's 1-AA record?

My point is that his previous record is what we have to go on. He has won at EVERY stop of his career, including at the 1-A level. He has gone far beyond mediocre, and that is a fact. If you are trying to downplay his coaching record, I think you are just looking for reasons to dislike the guy.

I have nothing against the guy, I just find it strange that some people see him as Jesus around here already.

I have nothing against the guy, I just find it strange that some people see him as Jesus around here already.

Huh?

You obviously forgot about Brewster, Mason, Wacker, Holtz, Salem, and Stoll all come to mind as saviors. :rolleyes:

Plus, we haven't won jack in 50 years, we'll look for hope in a lot of places.

I'll pay the role of Buzz Killington here...

How do you know it's not BS? How do you know Kill isn't just saying these things to hedge his bet in case he underperforms the next couple of years?

The thing is...you don't know. 4 years ago, we could take these over-the-top positive message board posts about Kill and just do a find/replace with Brewster's name and you wouldn't have known a difference.

I guess I'm just tired of the "Rah, Rah! Kill is amazing and everything we could have wished for" line because I saw the exact same thing with Brewster 4 years ago. I'll admit...I was hook, line, and sinker with Brewster. I'm not making that mistake again. No way. I have no optimism until Coach Kill actually coaches some games. As far as I'm concerned, Kill is just playing to the crowd with his words because he knows we want the anti-Brewster. Call me a cynic but I'm withholding all judgement until I actually see the product on the field. For now, his words are (and should be) completely empty and meaningless to me.

Rose Bowl turf and Gopher Nation vs. Academics, accountability, and execution - big difference between what Brew and Kill preach. Maybe it's just me but the idea of student athletes that bust their butts and properly execute on the field should be the minimum bar that a college football program first crosses. Our core values appear to have rotted during Brew's tenure. Call me old school, but I hate college football teams that are extremely successfull on the football field and their players are in no way shape or form "students" off the field....that's pro football not college football. So yes, I think the type of coach that Kill represents is what this program needs. I'm confident that he will get the culture back to where it needs to be and hopefully success will follow on the field.

Rose Bowl turf and Gopher Nation vs. Academics, accountability, and execution - big difference between what Brew and Kill preach. Maybe it's just me but the idea of student athletes that bust their butts and properly execute on the field should be the minimum bar that a college football program first crosses. Our core values appear to have rotted during Brew's tenure. Call me old school, but I hate college football teams that are extremely successfull on the football field and their players are in no way shape or form "students" off the field....that's pro football not college football. So yes, I think the type of coach that Kill represents is what this program needs. I'm confident that he will get the culture back to where it needs to be and hopefully success will follow on the field.

I think you're missing the point. Brewster said the EXACT SAME THING ABOUT ACADEMICS. Almost word for word. In fact, people on this board were commending Brewster for the academic progress well into his tenure.

Just because Kill says he'll put emphasis on academics and "lay down the law" doesn't mean it'll be true.

For the record: I absolutely want student-athletes. Not athlete-students.

Comparing what someone does at Northern or Southern Illinois won't come close to translating in the Big Ten. Some will cut corners to succeed at this level. It's higher profile with less patience.

Show me. Don't tell me. Don't tell me you're the anti-Brewster. Show me. Until then, I'm a huge skeptic.

Don't forget that APR scores improved under Brewster from where they were under Mason. It does sound like Kill wants to hold kids to a higher level. The trick then becomes getting kids with smarts and talent. Much easier task for a helmet school than us. Also, probably a little easier at the MAC level than BCS, in general. We'll see. I hope that he can do it.

Dint forget that Kill beat one Big 10 team last year and nearly took out Wisconsin the year before. Also, his Huskies were in the top 25 near the end if the season weren't they? I guess what I'm getting at is that while it's true the MAC does not have the clout the Big 10 does, his team was playing FBS football and the did a darn fine job. Why is there any question about weather he can or can't do it here?

I think you're missing the point. Brewster said the EXACT SAME THING ABOUT ACADEMICS. Almost word for word. In fact, people on this board were commending Brewster for the academic progress well into his tenure.

Just because Kill says he'll put emphasis on academics and "lay down the law" doesn't mean it'll be true.

Comparing what someone does at Northern or Southern Illinois won't come close to translating in the Big Ten. Some will cut corners to succeed at this level. It's higher profile with less patience.

Show me. Don't tell me. Don't tell me you're the anti-Brewster. Show me. Until then, I'm a huge skeptic.

+1. Its amazing how fast some people have forgotten what Brewster said when he came here.

Did you forget the fact that Brew inherited a bowl team and promptly went 1-11 his first season?

Kill is starting with a team that went 3-9. "Expecting" .500 in year one is a bit of a stretch.

I hear you on that, but Brew was'nt exactly the greatest coaching mind of the 21st century. I don't know if he was qualified to coach a team in nine man, let alone a big 10 team.

+1. Its amazing how fast some people have forgotten what Brewster said when he came here.

Haven't forgotten - just noticed a total change in what Kill emphasizes in his communications compared to Brewster. Kill has made academics, accountability, execution and hard work the focus/theme of his communications and has not just included academics as one of 100 other themes like Brewster would. From what I have read, Kill stressed these same themes at his previous stops at SIU and NIU. I like sending that focused message, setting that foundation, and building from there. Whether Kill can do that here remains to be seen but I am cautiously optimistic.

Brewster's resume at the time of his hire was totally different from Kill's. What Brewster said was completely baseless, what Kill says is not. He has been implementing the same strategy for years with positive results.

Dint forget that Kill beat one Big 10 team last year and nearly took out Wisconsin the year before. Also, his Huskies were in the top 25 near the end if the season weren't they? I guess what I'm getting at is that while it's true the MAC does not have the clout the Big 10 does, his team was playing FBS football and the did a darn fine job. Why is there any question about weather he can or can't do it here?

Well, his record is 0-0 at this point. Plus the Gophers were 1-1 against coach kill's vaunted NIU.
I'm just getting tired of hearing how bad the gopher team is, lets face it, if they were a awesome team, the job would have not been open.

Straight from a player's mouth, "This staff is so different when it comes to academics. The old staff didn't give a damn. They were all talk. This staff has someone waiting at the class room door to make sure you go to class." Sad they have to do it, but they're doing it.

Straight from a player's mouth, "This staff is so different when it comes to academics. The old staff didn't give a damn. They were all talk. This staff has someone waiting at the class room door to make sure you go to class." Sad they have to do it, but they're doing it.

I am sorry student athletes shouldn't need to have their hand held. Pathetic. If they were actually paying to go to class they would be there in a heart beat. I agree sad.

Yea, and I am getting tired of all these stupid posts from people who obviously haven't been following the coaching change and can't tell the difference between a slimmy used car salesman and a real lunch pail working coach. With Brew we were hanging on hope with no record to back it up, and yes I drank the koolaid. With Kill we see a real coach that has a system based upon hard work and effort. Kill has accomplished much more with his actions since he has been here than anything he has said.

Top Bottom