PiPress: Kill aghast at players' inattention to conditioning, academics

I know I am echoing other people's sentiments here, but I definitely am getting less cautious in my optimism. I think we do need to prepare ourselves for a tough season or two, but know that the brightest day only comes after the darkest night. Cleaning up this program will not happen in just one offseason.

Are any other coaches inspired by Kill's attitude, integrity and honesty? Man, I only coach middle school sports but I find myself wanting to emulate him.

I Love it. Kill is adressing the issues that students around campus already knew during the Brew regime. I love how he's building them up to become men.

Misleading headline.

The only Kill quote similar to the headline talks about players not training after their season ended. After reading the headline, I was getting ready to post about how Kill needs to shut up and take ownership of the program but the article was not what I expected.

I'll have to hit up a practice or two this year to see how things gonna roll.. lol

Well Coach Kill tell us how you really feel. Hearing all these bad things about the team makes me wonder what this team would be like if Brew hadnt been fired. Would half the team be eligible?? The way it sounds nobody cared about academics, way too many Jewan Edwards like players on the team or something. I cant wait until we start hearing some positives about the team. Maybe after some actual practices, Coach will let us know who stands out at certain positions, there is talent on this team. Kinda getting tired hearing about how terrible they are.

Well Coach Kill tell us how you really feel. Hearing all these bad things about the team makes me wonder what this team would be like if Brew hadnt been fired. Would half the team be eligible?? The way it sounds nobody cared about academics, way too many Jewan Edwards like players on the team or something. I cant wait until we start hearing some positives about the team. Maybe after some actual practices, Coach will let us know who stands out at certain positions, there is talent on this team. Kinda getting tired hearing about how terrible they are.

Yeah, I understand a lot of it is just coach speak to get his guys up and moving but damn does it get really old. It's really starting to become a buzz kill (no pun intended, for real).

No buzz kill here. We are just finally hearing the truth of what we have versus the 'pump 'em up' method Tremendous Tim used. I see it as a possibility that our team will actually IMPROVE from year to year with our current head coach and his assistants.

In three plus years how many guys were ruled academically ineligible? No BS being slung around the team now. No sir.

I think that a high % of the current players will make it. Coach Kill is one tough SOB and has backed up his talk with his record. But he has shown that he wants each player to succeed both on the field and classroom and grow his players into "winners". But there will probably be a handful who don't have the nads to be a part of it and do what Kill expects of them to deserve their scholarship..

These kids eyes have to be wide open and their arm pits sweaty and on edge with anticipation yet down deep feel lucky to be able to play for a guy like Coach Kill.

This is going to be very interesting.

So...I'm guessing this guy was banned not too long ago?? Taken from the PP comment section of the article. I usually try not to read the comment section of the PP or the Strib, but I couldn't help myself. Man, some of those people are miserable tools.

Gopherholers SuckUnited States
25 min ago Does these mean they can't smoke dope in their dorm rooms anymore?
Gopherholers Suck
22 min ago Use common sense; did any of you really think a kid with an Einstein like mind and a work ethic that would lead to success anywhere he went would be taken in by brewsterblather? I know..I know..the gopherholers were, but you could sell that crew used toilet paper......
Gopherholers Suck
20 min ago jumping wrote:
JK has been the coach only 3-4 months and he is already talking about "taking a step back" and getting fired by doing things "his way."
Wow....
He knows he will fail here..just setting himself up to keep the checks coming in as long as possible!

Kill should be happy he didn't get the team in the condition Brewster did a few years ago. We have much more talent on this team now then we did when Brewster took over.
Look at the linebacker position for one example.

Kill talks as if he has completely nothing and people lap it up like thirsty puppies. In my book we should finish .500 this year or Kill did a poor coaching job. And that's not asking very much at all.

So...I'm guessing this guy was banned not too long ago?? Taken from the PP comment section of the article. I usually try not to read the comment section of the PP or the Strib, but I couldn't help myself. Man, some of those people are miserable tools.

Gopherholers SuckUnited States
25 min ago Does these mean they can't smoke dope in their dorm rooms anymore?
Gopherholers Suck
22 min ago Use common sense; did any of you really think a kid with an Einstein like mind and a work ethic that would lead to success anywhere he went would be taken in by brewsterblather? I know..I know..the gopherholers were, but you could sell that crew used toilet paper......
Gopherholers Suck
20 min ago jumping wrote:
JK has been the coach only 3-4 months and he is already talking about "taking a step back" and getting fired by doing things "his way."
Wow....
He knows he will fail here..just setting himself up to keep the checks coming in as long as possible!

It's Eric Lewis at his finest. He just adjusts and moves forward.

Kill should be happy he didn't get the team in the condition Brewster did a few years ago. We have much more talent on this team now then we did when Brewster took over.

Kill talks as if he has completely nothing and people lap it up like thirsty puppies. In my book we should finish .500 this year or Kill did a poor coaching job. And that's not asking very much at all.

Our team went 3-9 last year, we have a new starter at QB (who was playing WR last year), two new starters on the O-line, and if we go 5-7 against a schedule with eight bowl teams from last year (plus USC), Kill automatically did a poor coaching job?

I expect that we should see improvement throughout the year but if we go 5-7 and our team is competitive, I would argue that Kill did not do a poor coaching job.

I think that after kill went to Murray Warmaths funeral and talked to more of Murrays playeers, it just reinforced his attitude!!

I agree that there is more talent than what Mason left, but I would also argue that the talent has not been utilized/coached/trained well, and it will take some time to train these guys to do things his way.

I agree that there is more talent than what Mason left, but I would also argue that the talent has not been utilized/coached/trained well, and it will take some time to train these guys to do things his way.

I agree, we have talented players who are not motivated or driven to reach their full potential. The cupboard is not bare, but the football program has a current culture that losing is acceptable and moral victories should be celebrated.

I believe Coach Kill knows he has players to work with, but he wants to make public that he is short on talent and mental toughness. No doubt the players read these headlines and message boards same as the fans do. They have a choice, are they going to rise to the occasion and prove him wrong, or are they going to justify his words? It's up to them. He's not going to heap praise on a bunch of players who have not earned it. If they show him something in spring, he'll give them credit.

Much is being made of Kill's comments about the state of the program, the was he's going to run practices, etc.

Actually, it all SHOULD be much ado about nothing. This is what you get when you have a coach that actually has a COACHING PHILOSOPHY: he tells you what he thinks is important, and how he's going to implement those things. After four years of hearing nothing but platititudes, hearing straight talk about program management details is actually surprising to us. That's the real story here.

I think the reason things are such a mess academically is cause when Brew was fired, I really think a lot of guys planned to high tail it out of here, and hence, weren't keeping up with their business during that time, forcing them to play catchup now. I don't think if Brew was still here, we'd be seeing 20 guys ineligible or anything crazy like that. With the conditioning, like he said, they had no leadership. Once the year ended, it ended, and no one knew what was happening. Now everything's about playing catchup on that lost time.

This is why programs are hesitant to fire coaches mid-season, I believe.

Did you forget the fact that Brew inherited a bowl team and promptly went 1-11 his first season?

Kill is starting with a team that went 3-9. "Expecting" .500 in year one is a bit of a stretch.

In three plus years how many guys were ruled academically ineligible? No BS being slung around the team now. No sir.

I'll pay the role of Buzz Killington here...

How do you know it's not BS? How do you know Kill isn't just saying these things to hedge his bet in case he underperforms the next couple of years?

The thing is...you don't know. 4 years ago, we could take these over-the-top positive message board posts about Kill and just do a find/replace with Brewster's name and you wouldn't have known a difference.

I guess I'm just tired of the "Rah, Rah! Kill is amazing and everything we could have wished for" line because I saw the exact same thing with Brewster 4 years ago. I'll admit...I was hook, line, and sinker with Brewster. I'm not making that mistake again. No way. I have no optimism until Coach Kill actually coaches some games. As far as I'm concerned, Kill is just playing to the crowd with his words because he knows we want the anti-Brewster. Call me a cynic but I'm withholding all judgement until I actually see the product on the field. For now, his words are (and should be) completely empty and meaningless to me.

Maturi hired a football coach and he got a football coach. He will change this program for the better.

Did you forget the fact that Brew inherited a bowl team and promptly went 1-11 his first season?

Kill is starting with a team that went 3-9. "Expecting" .500 in year one is a bit of a stretch.

Please don't remind me. What was Maturi thinking.

why some don't believe Kill when he says what he says is beyond me. there is still this notion by many that there is talent all over the roster. there was a reason Minnesota was picked to win 2 games last year. they were able to get to 3 wins and with another new system and not the Coach's type of recruits in the system yet there is a lot of work to do. this just isn't a reload type of roster.

IMO they will be far better coached but that might not translate this first year in a overall better record.

How do you know it's not BS? How do you know Kill isn't just saying these things to hedge his bet in case he underperforms the next couple of years?

The thing is...you don't know. 4 years ago, we could take these over-the-top positive message board posts about Kill and just do a find/replace with Brewster's name and you wouldn't have known a difference.

I guess I'm just tired of the "Rah, Rah! Kill is amazing and everything we could have wished for" line because I saw the exact same thing with Brewster 4 years ago. I'll admit...I was hook, line, and sinker with Brewster. I'm not making that mistake again. No way. I have no optimism until Coach Kill actually coaches some games. As far as I'm concerned, Kill is just playing to the crowd with his words because he knows we want the anti-Brewster. Call me a cynic but I'm withholding all judgement until I actually see the product on the field. For now, his words are (and should be) completely empty and meaningless to me.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic. I am rather tied of the lemming-like behavior being widely exhibited.

Thanks for the insight. I think there is reason for optimism -- Jerry Kill has experience to back up the things he says. He has turned programs around before and wants to do it again.

Brewster said a lot of exciting things, and he played to the anti-Mason. He was willing to engage with the Minnesota HS coaches etc. and to put in a lot of off-season work recruiting. The only problem was he had no experience in actually carrying out his plan, and he failed miserably. Jerry Kill has results, and even though they are at a lower level they are measurable. I think that is the reason for optimism, and why this hire can be different.

why some don't believe Kill when he says what he says is beyond me. there is still this notion by many that there is talent all over the roster. there was a reason Minnesota was picked to win 2 games last year. they were able to get to 3 wins and with another new system and not the Coach's type of recruits in the system yet there is a lot of work to do. this just isn't a reload type of roster.

IMO they will be far better coached but that might not translate this first year in a overall better record.

I believe they will not get blown out.

I think that after kill went to Murray Warmath's funeral and talked to more of Murrays playeers, it just reinforced his attitude!!

Bingo. These pompous, arrogant, Footballers at the U of M are in for a rude awakening. Welcome to the Big Time, pompous, arrogant Footballers.

Ya wanna play? Ya gotta pay.

I think we are all a little older and wiser after the Brewster era and it's understandable to be leery. Although Kill has yet to coach a game with US, he is not new to being a head coach. Brewster had zero head coaching experience while Kill comes in with a pretty nice head coaching resume.

It took us a while to realize Brewster was way in over his head, but we believed the hype. Brewster was only hype. Kill gives us hype AND substance and when he says he has a vision and direction for this team I believe him. He's gone through this before, Brewster had not.

I look at the fact that 2 of our 3 wins came once our head coach was canned. Apparently there are coaches who CAN win with these guys. Those 2 wins should not be ignored, Iowa and Illinois were the only 2 Big Ten teams to win their bowl games.

I think our recent records have a lot to do with poor coaching and organization besides the talent of the players on the field (not completely of course, but it shouldn't be overlooked).

Kill is trying to get these guys to work harder, hence the harsh comments in public. You don't get guys to work harder by blowing smoke up their rears, ie. you don't talk about how talented your team is when your trying to have battles at every starting position.

Top Bottom