Pick per Day will return

Rick Mons

The former MN Snowman
Reaction score
I'm planning on running the Pick Per Day (PPD) competition again this year. Looking at ESPN's schedule of Div 1 games, it looks like the schedule really doesn't heat up until Friday the 13th (of November). There's only a handful of games scheduled for Monday, Wednesday and Thursday before then so I'm going to wait until the 12th to release the available games played on the 13th (assuming the odds are available.

I'm planning on using OpenSports.com's site for odds ... that was the site I switched to in the latter part of the season. They did a pretty good job of publishing the odds early and, most important from my perspective, used a format that was "user friendly" with the Excel worksheets and Word templates and macros I use to load the available picks and keep track of individual standings.

For those not familiar with Pick per Day, this was started by Selection Sunday a few years ago and I took it over when it demanded too much time and didn't work for SS's schedule. It works this way:
  • each day I publish a list of available games and the spread for those games;
  • participants select which team (and spread) they think will win
  • Either the night after the games -- or the next day -- I publish the standings for the participants.
  • There's no money involved -- just bragging rights for those who do a good job of making picks over the course of the season

There's a full set of rules (the "Small Print") for the competition that I'll publish as get started. Two important rules: participants have to use the required format and need to check the results on a timely basis. The first rule is because I use macros to speed up data entry into the worksheets, etc and the second rule is that I'm human and from time to time will goof up. I don't mind going back a day or two to make corrections but it gets really complicated and tedious to go back more than that.

Everyone's free to participate at the beginning, but I reserve the right to close it off to new participants after we get a month or two into the competition. It takes a fair amount of time to track the standings, etc and gets complicated when adding folks after the first month or so of games.

One request this year: I'd hope that folks who start will continue to participate in at least a third of the daily picks available. Again, it takes a fair amount of time to maintain the standings, etc and it's a bit frustrating when someone makes only a handful of picks and then quits. (The set-up for each participant is where a lot of time is spent and it's for naught if you quit after just a few picks are made)

Finally, after the first of the year, we usually split the group into two sets: those who predict at least 2/3rds of all available games and those who don't. Why? The "win percentage" can be markedly different for those who participate on a daily (or near-daily) basis versus the less frequent participant.

Let me know if you have any questions or want more information.

Last Year's PPD's Winners and Losers

From the end-of-season standings:

• rrjack took top honors among the 14 "Steady Selectors" which required making picks in at least 2/3rds of the 134 days for which picks were published.
  • SaturnSweater wins the "close but no cigar" award ... he made 87 picks and had a 0.600 average ... just two more picks and he would have taken the lead.
  • Three of us participated in every pick ... Jike and Gopher in Qatar both had higher winning percentages than yours truly so I end up on the bottom of that grouping.
  • We had over 19 picks per day ... the number of picks dropped a bit as the competition neared the end and tournament picks began.
  • The board averaged 0.508. IIRC, you have to average around .510 to actually make money given the percentage "withheld" by the books. Still, eight of the Steady Selectors were above the .510 cutline.
  • Consensus picks did fairly well in 2008-09 with a .552 winning percentage ... much better than last season and I believe better than when SS ran this a couple years back.

For full results and standings, click here

Rick,

I really enjoy this contest...Thanks a lot for everything you contribute to this board. Sorry if I missed it or even forgot, but why did you switch from MNSnowman?

Rick,

I really enjoy this contest...Thanks a lot for everything you contribute to this board. Sorry if I missed it or even forgot, but why did you switch from MNSnowman?
When I came back to more active status, I posted this:

I'm back ... as we move into August, I find my interest in both the football and basketball seasons is coming out of a slumber. Snowmen are notorious for making themselves absent during the heated summer days out of pure self-existence. ... ;)

So, while I would check in every week or so, I'll probably be visiting more frequently and even posting a bit as the days shorten and the seasons begin. I'm probably going to mostly limit my time and energy to the sports boards -- the off-topic board seems to have grown more and more toxic and less and less interesting.

But I have decided to retire my nom-de-keyboard (MNSnowman). There's several reasons but the primary reason is I've gotten tired of the "shoot and run" nature of the Internet. I think that the anonymity of the 'net has corroded the level of discussion and the way we interact with each other. It's easy to take a cheap shot at another person when you use a moniker and I've decided I'm going to be accountable for things that I write and express.

YMMV and I'm not asking anyone else to drop their moniker(s). But it just seems right for me to do so and to do it when I'm returning to a more active role on the board.

Thanks Rick...I missed that as I am kind of the same way and not on the board much during the summer. I look forward to the PPD returning!!

Snowman/Rick Mons = class act

Go Mustangs! And Gophers!

Now that there's a prize involved, it's all-in time! The gauntlet has been thrown down. November 9th (including Isiah's FIU debut) are the first real games. ... can't wait.

Top Bottom