Phillip Nelson: Fresno State no longer interested in quarterback

Even Hitler had a girlfriend guys. Your hatred of Nelson is irrational.

Even Hitler had a girlfriend guys. Your hatred of Nelson is irrational.

Possibly the most obtuse and irrational post today. Was the hatred of Hitler outside of his girlfriend irrational too- or are we supposed to feel like Phil's girlfriend and love him unconditionally?

The guy made a huge mistake and he is paying for it. No need to pile on just to make you feel superior.

It may be hard for some to believe, but even perpetrators have rights. All his lawyer is stating is that delaying the hearing would have a major impact on Nelsons future and the only reason for the delay is because the other lawyer is on vacation. The courts do not wait for some lawyer to go on vacation, you follow their calendar. Anyway didn't they agree to a plea bargain. Doesn't that mean that the penalty is already decided and that the hearing is just a formality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The guy made a huge mistake and he is paying for it. No need to pile on just to make you feel superior.

It may be hard for some to believe, but even perpetrators have rights. All his lawyer is stating is that delaying the hearing would have a major impact on Nelsons future and the only reason for the delay is because the other lawyer is on vacation. The courts do not wait for some lawyer to go on vacation, you follow their calendar. Anyway didn't they agree to a plea bargain. Doesn't that mean that the penalty is already decided and that the hearing is just a formality.

A plea bargain is an agreement between the State and a defendant. However, they are all subject to the Judge's approval. Very frequently the Judge will accept an agreement and sentence accordingly. However, prior to sentencing, crime victims do have a legal right to make a victim impact statement, and the Judge may consider that when he/she makes the final decision.

A plea bargain is an agreement between the State and a defendant. However, they are all subject to the Judge's approval. Very frequently the Judge will accept an agreement and sentence accordingly. However, prior to sentencing, crime victims do have a legal right to make a victim impact statement, and the Judge may consider that when he/she makes the final decision.

Spot on.

Yeah, but football!

It's clearly about himself. He needs to forget about football and start growing up.

Nelson pleaded guilty to 5th Degree Assault for kicking Kolstad in the head when he was on the ground. That makes Kolstad the victim. Victims of crimes have rights in Minnnesota:

Victim’s Right to Make a Statement at Sentencing or Plea Presentation Hearing.

Victims have the right to submit an impact statement to the court at the time of the plea presentation hearing and the sentencing or disposition hearing. The victim may choose whether to make the impact statement orally or in writing. If the victim requests, the prosecutor must present the statement orally to the court. The victim’s statement may address the harm, trauma, or economic loss suffered by the victim as a result of the crime, and the victim’s reaction to the proposed plea agreement, sentence, or disposition. Minn. Stat. §§ 611A.0301 and 611A.038.

Apparently, crime victims also have the right to have their attorney present during the sentencing hearing.
I actually learned something on gopherhole.

That is a really stupid law.

Kolstad should be charged with 5th degree assault as well.
Then Nelson can make a statement at his sentencing (because he would easily be found guilty if charged)

At some point, he is going to have to come to terms with two facts--
1. On a list o Big Ten QBs, he might be number 9.

2. Given fact one, people don't put up with extra trouble.

Kolstad should be charged with 5th degree assault as well.
Then Nelson can make a statement at his sentencing (because he would easily be found guilty if charged)

Come on Phil, that kind of attitude won't get you on another team.

Come on Phil, that kind of attitude won't get you on another team.

Kolstad instigated
Shelly knocked him out
Nelson kicked a guy that had just sucker punched him from behind less than 10 second earlier

Of the three people, Nelson did the least wrong

Kolstad instigated
Shelly knocked him out
Nelson then sucker-kicked an unconscious guy in the head a full 10 seconds later.

FIFY

Kolstad instigated
Shelly knocked him out
Nelson kicked a guy that had just sucker punched him from behind less than 10 second earlier

Of the three people, Nelson did the least wrong

No, Nelson instigated because he mistook Kolstad for someone who hit on his girlfriend. Had he not done that, none of this would have happened. Secondly, Kolstad shoved/punched in back. Not in the face or head. That did not call for a kick to the head. Regardless, Kolstad could have walked away, and didn't. Nelson never should have started it, and then had an opportunity to walk away.

So grieved to see these promising young lives severely damaged

No, Nelson instigated because he mistook Kolstad for someone who hit on his girlfriend. Had he not done that, none of this would have happened. Secondly, Kolstad shoved/punched in back. Not in the face or head. That did not call for a kick to the head. Regardless, Kolstad could have walked away, and didn't. Nelson never should have started it, and then had an opportunity to walk away.
:*(

No, Nelson's father instigated. Had he never seduced Nelson's mother, none of this would have happened.

Regardless of what happened in the bar, the altercation was over, and then we all saw on video Kolstad initiate a new altercation by charging at someone from behind and throwing a blindside sucker punch.

I am not defending Nelson (kicking someone while they are down is inexcusable and cowardly), but Kolstad's actions seem to get a lot less criticism than they deserve.

Nelly, just put down your pride and pick up the phone and call 612 625 5000. Ask for the phone number for Jerry Kill's office and come on home.
I don't believe he has that option, and coming back would mean he would never start.

So if I yell at you to talking to my girlfriend and then you sucker punch me from behind later in the night it is my fault?

Hitting people is not a nice thing to do. My mom told me so.

Kolstad was walking away. Unlike Nelson, he wasn't kicking someone in the face once he was down.

Kolstad was walking away. Unlike Nelson, he wasn't kicking someone in the face once he was down.

It could be said when the physical altercation started, it was Nelson walking away.

It doesn't really matter what we think - he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor. Now back to Phil Nelson the quarterback: he had moments of excellence, but generally he was a mediocre Power 5 quarterback. Word has it, he was divisive. He and the coaching staff mutually agreed for him to seek other opportunities.

Bottom line: he left us and we're stressing over a former back-up quarterback for Rutgers.

It doesn't really matter what we think - he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor. Now back to Phil Nelson the quarterback: he had moments of excellence, but generally he was a mediocre Power 5 quarterback. Word has it, he was divisive. He and the coaching staff mutually agreed for him to seek other opportunities.

Bottom line: he left us and we're stressing over a former back-up quarterback for Rutgers.

He, paired with AJ and Andre would have been magic last year. :cool:

Top Bottom