Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

This right here is the best post of the thread. I'm not sure if that is truly why Nelson left but it makes the most sense to me....and I agree. We run r QB's way too much. That crap might have worked at Northern but when u r getting hit by Big10 studs in conference play it takes a toll. This is why we need Jeff Jones so much along with Ragnow. We need to improve the o-line and backfield so the QB can run less and pass more.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this. Top programs have done just fine running their QB's a lot. Auburn and Ohio St. had good success this year, for example.

And it's not like we run them a ton. If you take out the sacks, our QB's average under 13 carries a game. You also have to believe our QB's are hit a lot less in the pass game because we run the ball a lot.

I have mixed feelings on this. I really wasn't overly impressed with Nelson all year, even on that 4 game winning streak. His accuracy, or lack thereof, was troubling to me. I hate to see him leave after just 2 years though, I'm guessing he would have improved as an upperclassman. I hate the idea of breaking in another freshman QB too. I'm good with rolling with Leidner at QB though, there wasn't much of a gap between the two and I actually think that Leidner has the greater upside of the two. It'll be interesting to see who takes the back up spot (or pushes Leidner for the starting spot) between Streveler and McKinzy.

Does anyone have any reports on Conor Rhoda and/or Mike Conway?

Maybe Nelson can take over for Brock Jenson at NDSU.

This right here is the best post of the thread. I'm not sure if that is truly why Nelson left but it makes the most sense to me....and I agree. We run r QB's way too much. That crap might have worked at Northern but when u r getting hit by Big10 studs in conference play it takes a toll. This is why we need Jeff Jones so much along with Ragnow. We need to improve the o-line and backfield so the QB can run less and pass more.

In my opinion Kill has way too many designed QB runs. He may have to get away from this and protect ML in the fall.

This is a confusing post. Care to actually explain what you're trying to say?

Depends if said coach wants to see 10 yards outs missed by 15 feet...

OK, here's the dealio-
1) Phil's daddy was not happy with the playing time and the dual QB thing. And that's a fact. It was daddy's belief that his boy was promised the full time starting job if he signed, and it didn't work out that way.

2) Phil's mechanics are/were among the worst I've seen in anything I've seen in D1 football; and it wasn't improving.

3) This has minimal impact on the program, and likely is positive long term.

OK, here's the dealio-
1) Phil's daddy was not happy with the playing time and the dual QB thing. And that's a fact. It was daddy's belief that his boy was promised the full time starting job if he signed, and it didn't work out that way.

2) Phil's mechanics are/were among the worst I've seen in anything I've seen in D1 football; and it wasn't improving.

I agree. Phil did not improve from one year to the next. People are acting like Phil was the next Winston or Johnny Football. Does it sting a little maybe from a competition standpoint. What if Kill told Phil and Phil aw with is own eyes that ML and Strev were progressing at a better rate and would not win the starting job over them and would become option #3. There is a reason he transferred, and its not because he was a superstar.

In my opinion Kill has way too many designed QB runs. He may have to get away from this and protect ML in the fall.

2 years ago, I'd completely agree. This past season? I really don't think the QBs had to run all that much, especially once Cobb established himself. And I'm guessing with Berkley coming into the fold that number would come down even further.

This is bad news, there's no way around it. You cannot tell me losing a junior QB who started during one of your best conference streaks in forever is a good thing. Wish Nelson all the best, as I said earlier in the thread, some guys struggle with rhythm when they don't get the attempts up there. Maybe Nelson is one of those guys. I'll be a little interested in seeing where he lands.

From the Gopher perspective, I don't care who it is, one of these guys will HAVE to step up if we want to progress from this past season. Leidner's obviously in the driver's seat, and he had a productive bowl game, but this is an absolutely HUGE offseason for him now. Also, if I'm Streveler or McKinzy, I'm pretty excited about the possibility I could have a shot at this thing. They'll all be in spring ball, so it should be entertaining.

OK, here's the dealio-

Well stated. I agree with your assessment.
I also think that both QB's were basically interchangeable, so whichever one left, we'd be about in the same situation either way.

This is a tough blow. The circumstances are unfortunate for both Philip Nelson and the Gopher program. Nelson seemed to have the physical tools and smarts to play the position, but never gained the confidence. Unfortunately, Philip was thrown into a tough situation and faced many hurdles from the start: a) having to start in a bad offense as a true freshman ; b) not being able to attend quarterback camps after his freshman season; c) losing his best receiver midseason; d) three primary targets being freshman e) being injured entering the Big Ten season; f) having a floundering offense again this season. The bottom line is that throughout his development he was never able to develop confidence or rhythm, for whatever reason. A fresh start is what he needs and I don't blame him - just tough to be on the other side.

I don't think Leidner can be the guy. Doesn't know the offense well enough and can't throw on the run. Hopefully the coaches know something we don't about Streveler.

If Leidner completes that TD pass Drew dropped in the bowl game, we would all be raving about him as the qb of the future.

I think Nelson getting hit a few times by B1G caliber defensive players, not having the offensive line protection to gain a couple of seconds longer window to throw the ball after Christiansen & Bak were out, plus not having Engel in the middle in the end were confidence killers.

Maybe we have to revisit the idea that we have to have so many designed running QB plays. Who cares if we run the QB that often as long as we can make successful pass plays to keep defenders honest and with a good running game, and the WR actually catching the ball at critical moments.

Recruiting players to a certain system is fine as long as it is working. But, if not sometimes we'd have to look at the QB's strengths and make adjustments on offense accordingly. We don't want to see our QBs getting hurt in the latter part of the season where it counts the most.

I don't know. These are just my few cents worth. It is frustrating to me to see our most seasoned QB leave the program their junior year when we have lots of potential for the the O Line, the running game, and the WR play to be better than last season. Maybe it is for the better. We just have to next man up, and who knows maybe Leidner, Streveler & McKinzy will surprise.

I'll have to think that the O Line next season will be much better with the depth provided by players that are coming out of red shirt. We'd expect better pass protection and run blocking to make the offense purr.

We've got to do something to help our chances of getting high caliber play makers at WR.

Mark Rosen reported that Philip's dad says Kill will help him land outside the Big Ten.

OK, here's the dealio-

I can't believe Kill, or any coach for that matter, would promise anyone a full time starting job. I agree his mechanics were terrible, as were his passing results.

I wonder if we will eve know the full story....maybe you have some connections. We are now one snap away from our qb being someone who has never stepped on the field as a qb.

This is the second contributing qb to leave in two years. I hope this isn't a developing trend. It does raise my curiosity.

I really have not been impressed with the throwing mechanics of any of our QB's.

Shortell saw that he wasn't going to start over Gray/Nelson. Nelson saw he wasn't going to start over Leidner. What else is there to see?
It's real easy to see, just open your eyes! You have two QB's that started, contributed to your program and they both have left. Where do you come up your assumptions that Shortell and Nelson would never started again? Competition builds a program and when you have QB's-whom are supposed to be leaders of your team, transfer, it hurts. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Leidner having any better stats then Nelson did last year. Worse yet, I don't see our record being as good as this past season.

I don't see this as a sign of anything negative going on behind the scenes. Not every kid is going to be content as a backup, even if the team they are on is a good one. Minnesota isn't alone in this, every school has players transfer out pretty much every year, for various reasons. Good luck to Nelson in the future. Hopefully someone else is the answer.
Yep-starting QB's transfer all the time. Just ask Wisky.

1. Whether you were a Nelson guy or a Leidner guy you have to admit they weren't far apart this year. This hurts in depth if nothing else.

2. Our team was at its best this year with Phil at QB (4-game streak). Neither he nor Mitch looked good at most times. This is going to hurt in options if nothing else.

3. How could losing your star QB recruit 2-years in not affect recruiting players like Jones, Holland, and Ragnow?

All these posts about how this is no big deal, we don't need him, Mitch is way better anyway, are so dumb. It hurts our team - plain and simple and no way around it.
Ditto this.

This is what happens when you promise playing time if they'll sign on. I'm almost certainJK said something similar.

It's real easy to see, just open your eyes! You have two QB's that started, contributed to your program and they both have left. Where do you come up your assumptions that Shortell and Nelson would never started again? Competition builds a program and when you have QB's-whom are supposed to be leaders of your team, transfer, it hurts. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Leidner having any better stats then Nelson did last year. Worse yet, I don't see our record being as good as this past season.

Shortell is a big armed, lumbering QB. He was not a fit in Kill's offense. He was also passed on the depth chart by a FR. I think he left to find a better fit.

This situation is baffling to me. The only thing that could make some sense is that he didn't think he could progress as a QB taking the amount of hits our system requires. Some ways, he is right. I realize other programs have running QBs, but they are different kind of athletes (athlete who play QB). So I don't know. I doubt Phil finds a better situation than starting on an 8-4 Big 10 team. This doesn't strike me as a decision that he's going to be happy about in the future.

As for the Gophers, it is a loss. At a minimum, we lost our only experienced QB for depth. We need to start building experienced depth, it I our problem at WR and it is now a problem at QB as well. I also think we looked our best in years with Nelson at QB, so I just can't minimize the impact of this transfer. It stinks. Maybe we should recruit less hometown guys (Barker, McDonald, Nelson). . . JK.

Ah well, on to the next one I guess (I'm getting sick of saying this).

This is what happens when you promise playing time if they'll sign on. I'm almost certainJK said something similar.

Why would you make this assumption?

And. . .he was getting a TON of PT. There aren't many QBs in the country who have more starts there first two seasons in a program.

Two years from now, he wouldn't have been our QB anyway...but I'll still be a Gopher fan. I like looking at the big picture.

Why would you make this assumption?

And. . .he was getting a TON of PT. There aren't many QBs in the country who have more starts there first two seasons in a program.

When nelson didn't get pulled in 2012 things seemed odd. Shorty left cuz of it but I'm confident playing time was the kill to Nelson sales pitch.

Frankly, I'm surprised we don't see a lot more guys transferring from all colleges. If a guy really wants to play football because he loves the game, and wants it just as much as getting a good education, why would he want to stay with a program where he realizes he's not going to play? As a former bench-warmer for two years on my high school basketball team, I can tell you that not playing at all can be very depressing. Although I loved being part of the team and practicing, it was really sad not getting the chance to play.

For Philip, I'm guessing he believes he can do a lot more to help a team succeed. I'm guessing he wants to have more fun. He probably wants to go to a school where he will be the best quarterback without question; where he can throw 35 times a game, get good pass protection and put up some big numbers. That would be fun and exciting for most kids.

Based on his father's statement, it sounds as if Philip has been somewhat unhappy for a while. The father stated that they've been talking about this for a long time. This wasn't an impulsive, rash decision. It was probably a really tough decision for Philip and taking a toll on him. Nothing worse than being in a situation that doesn't feel right.

This is probably a positive move for the program. Even if Philip was the starter next year, it's now clear that his heart wasn't fully in it, he had his doubts about the system and his role in it, he was a somewhat frustrated young man. That's not who we want at the helm. We want a young man who 100% believes in the system and his role. We want a QB who is being asked to do exactly what he wants to be doing. I have no idea if Leidner is that guy, cause I don't know what's on his mind. But we need to find a QB who loves the system, loves his role, and can thrive in that role. Jerry Kill needs to find that QB and find him fast if he wants the team to keep winning more each year.

When nelson didn't get pulled in 2012 things seemed odd. Shorty left cuz of it but I'm confident playing time was the kill to Nelson sales pitch.

What do you mean "when Nelson didn't get pulled"? Are you referring to when we pulled his RS? It seemed a little bit odd, but we didn't have much of a choice, both Gray and Shortell were injured. If pulling his RS was part of some master plan, why would we have waited so long?

Obviously playing time was part of the sales pitch, we needed QBs. However, he got PT as a true FR and was our starter as a true SO. So playing time was part of the sales pitch and he got tons of PT. There is a huge difference between that and promising the starting position which there is literally nothing to indicate that was the case.

Frankly, I'm surprised we don't see a lot more guys transferring from all colleges. If a guy really wants to play football because he loves the game, and wants it just as much as getting a good education, why would he want to stay with a program where he realizes he's not going to play? As a former bench-warmer for two years on my high school basketball team, I can tell you that not playing at all can be very depressing. Although I loved being part of the team and practicing, it was really sad not getting the chance to play.

For Philip, I'm guessing he believes he can do a lot more to help a team succeed. I'm guessing he wants to have more fun. He probably wants to go to a school where he will be the best quarterback without question; where he can throw 35 times a game, get good pass protection and put up some big numbers. That would be fun and exciting for most kids.

Based on his father's statement, it sounds as if Philip has been somewhat unhappy for a while. The father stated that they've been talking about this for a long time. This wasn't an impulsive, rash decision. It was probably a really tough decision for Philip and taking a toll on him. Nothing worse than being in a situation that doesn't feel right.

This is probably a positive move for the program. Even if Philip was the starter next year, it's now clear that his heart wasn't fully in it, he had his doubts about the system and his role in it, he was a somewhat frustrated young man. That's not who we want at the helm. We want a young man who 100% believes in the system and his role. We want a QB who is being asked to do exactly what he wants to be doing. I have no idea if Leidner is that guy, cause I don't know what's on his mind. But we need to find a QB who loves the system, loves his role, and can thrive in that role. Jerry Kill needs to find that QB and find him fast if he wants the team to keep winning more each year.

Great Post.

Top Bottom