Phil Miller blog: TV appearance frustrates Collado

Wow

I stand by my statement. The only really talented player he has recruited is Gray. There isn't another player that has lived up to all of Brewters hype. He is not recruiting the best by a long shot. That is what he was supposed to do and he is not doing it. I don't know how you can argue otherwise. It doesn't really matter whether they are freshman or seniors they were not the best when they were recruited and they have not been developed at all either.

I think I'm actually speechless.

You can say right now definitively that a guy who is a freshman or a sophomore today won't be worth a crap as a senior?

Tell me you're not wasting these talents of yours and that you either have a high-level position with a football team somewhere evaluating talent or that you are making money on the side palm-reading or seeing the future?

I REALLY need you to send me a private email with a few final scores of even just a couple games this weekend. I'll split the cash with you, you have my word on that.

I stand by my statement. The only really talented player he has recruited is Gray. There isn't another player that has lived up to all of Brewters hype. He is not recruiting the best by a long shot. That is what he was supposed to do and he is not doing it. I don't know how you can argue otherwise. It doesn't really matter whether they are freshman or seniors they were not the best when they were recruited and they have not been developed at all either.

The Brewster hype? What is that, a dance or something. It's called experience. These players will improve as they play more. Did you just start watching football this year?

He gave up a touchdown. It was not a good play. He made a good effort but it was not a good decision.

I guess we know what you will do next time you are in that situation.

Sometimes good plays get trumped by great plays. It happens and is one of the beautiful things about sports.

Sometimes good plays get trumped by great plays. It happens and is one of the beautiful things about sports.

+1 and if you look at the play again he didn't really have much time to even knock the ball down. He played it as well as anyone could possibly play it. Period.

Collado went for the pick when he should've been knocking the ball down. Even 5th graders playing youth football should know that you bat the ball down in the endzone - especially when it's one-on-one, and especially when it was third-and-forever, and at the far reaches of reasonable FG range.

Besides the fact that Collado should've instinctively known this, it's also on the coaches. It should've been communicated to the secondary before the play - "OK, guys, it's 3rd and long - if they go to the endzone, knock it down, don't go for the pick. We'll take our chances with a long FG attempt, especially with an 8-point lead."

So it was lack of instinct, bad coaching, or more likely, both. But just because he was in the right place, and made a good play for the ball, does not make it a good play. It was actually a pretty stupid play.

It was almost an interception. That's great. More importantly, it was a touchdown for the other team on a pass that could have easily been broken up. Spin it however you want, but that play was detrimental in the outcome of the game.

Collado went for the pick when he should've been knocking the ball down. Even 5th graders playing youth football should know that you bat the ball down in the endzone - especially when it's one-on-one, and especially when it was third-and-forever, and at the far reaches of reasonable FG range.

Besides the fact that Collado should've instinctively known this, it's also on the coaches. It should've been communicated to the secondary before the play - "OK, guys, it's 3rd and long - if they go to the endzone, knock it down, don't go for the pick. We'll take our chances with a long FG attempt, especially with an 8-point lead."

So it was lack of instinct, bad coaching, or more likely, both. But just because he was in the right place, and made a good play for the ball, does not make it a good play. It was actually a pretty stupid play.

+1

Every bit of instinct in a competitve d-back would say go for the pick.

It was almost an interception. That's great. More importantly, it was a touchdown for the other team on a pass that could have easily been broken up. Spin it however you want, but that play was detrimental in the outcome of the game.

I'm spinning it? People are making this play a referendum on Brew's recruiting and coaching, and I'm the one spinning it for saying that sometimes sh!t happens despite playing a play about as well as it could be played? Serious.

This is one of the most idiotic statements I've ever heard. I fought the urge to respond but alas, no self-restraint.

Brewster's recruits are this year's freshmen, RS freshmen, and RS sophomores. If you're expecting a group of freshmen and sophomores to roll in and dominate the Big Ten, there's literally no help for you. At the risk of sounding condescending (that means to talk down to somebody), I honestly feel sorry for you.

Look at the depth charts for most of the teams in the Big Ten, especially on defense. I found at least 5 teams that didn't start more than TWO PLAYERS younger than juniors, a couple of them only one.

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp?Year=2007&Team=MINNESOTA

Illinois - 2 sophomores
Iowa - 1 sophomore
Northwestern - 1 sophomore
Ohio State - 2 sophomores
Wisconsin - 1 Freshman, 1 sophomore

Michigan State has a similar number of FR and SO on their starting defense as the Gophers but they have a beast in Greg Jones leading a list of four 3-year starting seniors to go along with it.

And there you have the Gophers with 3 Sophomores, 2 Freshmen, and a JuCo DB who's never played D-1 ball before this year.

The Gophers have lost a couple of games they should have won because they have a defense full of young kids making mistakes. The good news is, they're making fewer mistakes every week.

Brewster may or may not be the coach next year and I'm really indifferent to that. Whether it's Brewster or the next guy though, the coach next year is going to look like a genius because the cupboard is full, finally. The best players on the team are freshmen and sophomores, which is really kind of exciting.

The guys Mason left the current regime are seniors this year. Who do we have? Weber (who everybody says is horrendous), Collado, and Theret basically. Really?

Mason shouldn't have been fired, he should have been taken out and shot.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Only the Seniors are not Brewster's recruits. Brewster was on board and signed the 2007 class, Mase was fired right after his Debacle Bowl against Texas Tech. About a quarter to a third of the Sr on the roster are his as well, including Theret, Carufel, Royston, etc.

But hey, don't let facts get in your way.

Knocking the ball down probably would have been the smarter play. However, everyone on here would be talking about how brilliant a play it was if he held onto the pick. I guarantee you, no one would be sitting here talking about how he should have just knocked it down. Ebbert made a great play to wrestle the ball away, plain and simple.

It wasn't first down. It wasn't even second down. It was a third and long. It was cool that he tried to make a great play, but it wasn't a smart play.

Shoot, Brett Favre made an "instinctive" play in the 4th quarter of the championship game which turned into a interception. Despite the good intentions of getting us to a super bowl, it ended up finishing our season.

It wasn't first down. It wasn't even second down. It was a third and long. It was cool that he tried to make a great play, but it wasn't a smart play.

Shoot, Brett Favre made an "instinctive" play in the 4th quarter of the championship game which turned into a interception. Despite the good intentions of getting us to a super bowl, it ended up finishing our season.

Could you possibly have come up with a bigger stretch for an example of a 'similar' play? I don't know that I could.

It was a bonehead play by Collado, and I really believe that if he had simply knocked it down, we would have won the game.

No it wasn't and we would have lost either way.

Could you possibly have come up with a bigger stretch for an example of a 'similar' play? I don't know that I could.

I think it is a fair comparison. (collado/favre) tries to make what could be argued as an unnecessary gamble.

On third and long, you absolutely HAVE to make sure to keep them from putting up points.

This is just dumb. You don't want people scoring ever.

A way to keep them from scoring points would be intercepting the ball

This. On third and long, you absolutely HAVE to make sure to keep them from putting up points. This had nothing to do with brew. It was a bonehead play by Collado, and I really believe that if he had simply knocked it down, we would have won the game.

should have been a walk-off...

Clever

No it wasn't and we would have lost either way.

So knocking the ball down and setting up Northwesterns kicker (who had already missed an extra point) with a 40 yard (give or take) field goal would have still ended up losing us the game? Even if he makes that kick, they would need to march down the field for a touchdown. He misses it (more likely) and we would have been well on our way to a win.

The Brewster hype? What is that, a dance or something. It's called experience. These players will improve as they play more. Did you just start watching football this year?

Who are these players? Brewster has plenty of players in their second or third year in the program who have made little to no improvement. Experience hasn't done a lot for them.

This is just dumb. You don't want people scoring ever.

A way to keep them from scoring points would be intercepting the ball

Or an easier method to keep them from scoring would have been to swat the ball.

Who are these players? Brewster has plenty of players in their second or third year in the program who have made little to no improvement. Experience hasn't done a lot for them.

How many of these players are returning starters?

I think it is a fair comparison. (collado/favre) tries to make what could be argued as an unnecessary gamble.

While we could debate how unnecessary collado's 'gamble' was, as I don't think it was unnecessary at all if the goal is to keep points of the board; I have yet to see anyone, except for Favre when he tried to throw Rice under the bus, make a case for Favre throwing across his body to the middle of the field in that situation.

Brandon Green, Eskridge and Wilhite to name a few. You could argue that none of them are returning starters, but they've all started in the past and seem to have regressed thus far.

While we could debate how unnecessary collado's 'gamble' was, as I don't think it was unnecessary at all if the goal is to keep points of the board; I have yet to see anyone, except for Favre when he tried to throw Rice under the bus, make a case for Favre throwing across his body to the middle of the field in that situation.

That is fair.

However, already mentioned in the thread, it is the d-backs job to make sure that a ball thrown into the endzone is knocked down. Collado did not do that. I think that would have been forgivable on first or even second down, seeing as NW was moving the ball fairly well. When you can force a team into a long field goal or a 4th down play, you take it.

Even Carter has been a flip of the coin so far. He should be so good by now. He's got all the tools, yet he can't put it together. Maybe it's on him, maybe it's not.

McKnight has been nothing but average so far after a really good run at the end of last year.

Brandon Green, Eskridge and Wilhite to name a few. You could argue that none of them are returning starters, but they've all started in the past and seem to have regressed thus far.

You named three players with limited starts. Brandon Green hasn't played much this year. I do not see how you could say Eskridge has regressed.

Top Bottom