Phil Miller blog: TV appearance frustrates Collado

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Every college football player would like to be ranked in the top 10. But this isn't exactly what Ryan Collado had in mind.

The senior defensive back was watching ESPN's SportsCenter on Saturday, when the days' top 10 plays came on. Suddenly, at No. 4 -- there he was.

Giving up a touchdown.

"Yeah, I saw it," Collado said with a wince. "Number 4."

Actually, Collado's name wasn't mentioned; the highlight was attention-grabbing for the way that Northwestern receiver Jeremy Ebert wrested the ball away from him as they fell to the ground.

"Ryan was in perfect position. I mean, absolutely perfect position," Gophers coach Tim Brewster said of the 25-yard Dan Persa-to-Ebert connection for a touchdown. "He had his man covered, he turned around, he got both hands on the ball. And the guy took it away."

That's what's so painful, Collado said. He had position in front of Ebert and believed he was about to make a game-saving interception. "It was the most heartbreaking pass coverage I've ever been in," Collado said. "Christyn Lewis, right next to me, told me he knew it was an interception. I caught in right in my hands."

But Ebert, who is roughly three inches taller, came over the top and got his hands on it, too. "As I fell, he landed before me. His momentum carried him and he just torqued it out," Collado said.

The play closed Minnesota's eight-point lead to just two, and the Gophers eventually lost 29-28. That's why Collado sees his unfortunate TV appearance as a symbol of Minnesota's season.
"
I was where I needed to be, just like (the Gophers) have been. And we just don't execute when we have to," he said, blaming himself for Ebert's spectacular catch. "That's why it's so frustrating."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsI

Go Gophers!!

It was a tough play, and Collado definitely couldn't have been in better position. So unfortunate that Ebert was able to leverage it away.

Collado's conclusion that the play was a symbol of the Gopher's season is dead on.

It's a symbol of why Brew needs to be gone. Brew was brought in to recruit the talent we need to win. Other than M. Gray, the talent isn't there - plain and simple.

Maturi needs to go because he hired an inexperienced head coach who set the program back by switching ideologies mid-stream. That's not on Brew. Brew was just learning on the job. It's on Maturi for not hiring a guy who could come in ready to coach.

Both need to go.

It's a symbol of why Brew needs to be gone. Brew was brought in to recruit the talent we need to win. Other than M. Gray, the talent isn't there - plain and simple.

Maturi needs to go because he hired an inexperienced head coach who set the program back by switching ideologies mid-stream. That's not on Brew. Brew was just learning on the job. It's on Maturi for not hiring a guy who could come in ready to coach.

Both need to go.
:banghead::banghead:banghead:banghead:

Both need to go.

I literally slapped my forehead reading this.

collado is a mason recruit-i guess when brew talks about the talent he brought in being light years ahead of mase's, I guess collado was excluded....yeah

Both need to go.

idiotic statement, you clearly didn't read about being in perfect position. Hard to beat perfect. There are plenty of reasons to rip Brewster but this play isn't one of them. This play just is one of many signs of the curse that has befallen our beloved Gopher football team. This curse preceded Brewster, hopefully it will be broken in my lifetime.

Brew was brought in to recruit the talent we need to win. Other than M. Gray, the talent isn't there - plain and simple.

I've been sayin this for a few weeks now. He has not lived up to his own hype about being a great recruiter. If he can't even do what he is supposed to be great at then he shouldn't be here.

The thing I remember on that play was that he turned at the last second. Had he turned sooner he could surely have picked it off. He failed to turn at all earlier in the 3rd and had that terrible pass interference for running down the receive who was coming back for and under thrown ball. Had he turned no interference and the end of a scoring drive for NW, or better yet, - and interception then as well. I think he's a good kid and hard worker, but his coverage skills are lacking when playing the ball. He just tries his hardest to stay with the receiver.

I guess we should remember not to let the point of the thread get in the way of a good "Fire Brewster and Maturi" rant.

That play was heart wrenching.

Ryan Collado fan!

Kid's not great. Kid's just a football player.

Just a thought...but why didn't he just knock the ball down instead of trying to pick the ball off?

That play epitomizes the Gophers pass defense for as long as I can remember. When we get into position...we still can't make a play.

I don't think that play sums up the Gophers season, I think it sums up the past 50 seasons of Gopher football. So close, yet so far.

Nice

I've been sayin this for a few weeks now. He has not lived up to his own hype about being a great recruiter. If he can't even do what he is supposed to be great at then he shouldn't be here.

This is one of the most idiotic statements I've ever heard. I fought the urge to respond but alas, no self-restraint.

Brewster's recruits are this year's freshmen, RS freshmen, and RS sophomores. If you're expecting a group of freshmen and sophomores to roll in and dominate the Big Ten, there's literally no help for you. At the risk of sounding condescending (that means to talk down to somebody), I honestly feel sorry for you.

Look at the depth charts for most of the teams in the Big Ten, especially on defense. I found at least 5 teams that didn't start more than TWO PLAYERS younger than juniors, a couple of them only one.

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp?Year=2007&Team=MINNESOTA

Illinois - 2 sophomores
Iowa - 1 sophomore
Northwestern - 1 sophomore
Ohio State - 2 sophomores
Wisconsin - 1 Freshman, 1 sophomore

Michigan State has a similar number of FR and SO on their starting defense as the Gophers but they have a beast in Greg Jones leading a list of four 3-year starting seniors to go along with it.

And there you have the Gophers with 3 Sophomores, 2 Freshmen, and a JuCo DB who's never played D-1 ball before this year.

The Gophers have lost a couple of games they should have won because they have a defense full of young kids making mistakes. The good news is, they're making fewer mistakes every week.

Brewster may or may not be the coach next year and I'm really indifferent to that. Whether it's Brewster or the next guy though, the coach next year is going to look like a genius because the cupboard is full, finally. The best players on the team are freshmen and sophomores, which is really kind of exciting.

The guys Mason left the current regime are seniors this year. Who do we have? Weber (who everybody says is horrendous), Collado, and Theret basically. Really?

Mason shouldn't have been fired, he should have been taken out and shot.

Both need to go.

It can't be a symbol of why Brewster needs to be gone, there was nothing wrong with they way he played on this play.

Maturi's gamble in hiring Brewster didn't pay off, but switching ideologies in midstream IS Brewster's fault, not Maturi's. But the bottom line is that if you want Brewster gone, you should beg Maturi to stay a while. Maturi will stay until the new President picks a replacement AD. If Maturi leaves, the coaching decision will get pushed off to the next AD, which would mean one more year of Brewster. Like it or not, Maturi will pick the next coach.

It can't be a symbol of why Brewster needs to be gone, there was nothing wrong with they way he played on this play.

That's my whole point. You can coach the guys to be in the right position to make the play and use proper technique as Collado was in this instance. But it still comes down to players. Sometimes you need a running back to make a couple people miss and make a play, etc. Brew's recruits lack the talent needed to succeed, especially when you have to overcome switching ideologies midstream.

Weber (who everybody says is horrendous), Collado, and Theret basically.

Not to pick nits, but Theret was a Brewster recruit, and Carufel, Wills, Royston, Hoese, and Alford are all seniors as well.

But your overall point is correct and well-taken. We will lose 8 senior contributors (9, if you count Ellestad) from this year's team, and none will be missed terribly with the possible exception of Theret.

That's my whole point. You can coach the guys to be in the right position to make the play and use proper technique as Collado was in this instance. But it still comes down to players. Sometimes you need a running back to make a couple people miss and make a play, etc. Brew's recruits lack the talent needed to succeed, especially when you have to overcome switching ideologies midstream.

Sometimes even if you do everything perfect, the play isn't going to go your way.

Not to pick nits, but Theret was a Brewster recruit, and Carufel, Wills, Royston, Hoese, and Alford are all seniors as well.

But your overall point is correct and well-taken. We will lose 8 senior contributors (9, if you count Ellestad) from this year's team, and none will be missed terribly with the possible exception of Theret.

I didn't mention Royston, Carufel, or Wills because they were not Mason recruits. They transferred in while Brewster was here, stop-gaps if anything else. Ellestad was a transfer as well.

No doubt, Hoese will be missed.

Just a thought...but why didn't he just knock the ball down instead of trying to pick the ball off?

That play epitomizes the Gophers pass defense for as long as I can remember. When we get into position...we still can't make a play.

This x1000. I was screaming that at the game, just knock it down! You know you're a short guy covering a large guy, be safe and bat it down, 4th down they probably kick a FG instead of 6. I like that Collado plays hard, and tackles well, but in coverage... sigh.

The guys Mason left the current regime are seniors this year. Who do we have? Weber (who everybody says is horrendous), Collado, and Theret basically. Really?
Say what you will about what Mason left behind, but nobody will ever succeed in convincing me it wasn't enough to beat fricking USD 3 1/2 years later.

We are now in the bottom 20 of Division I. I find it a real stretch to imagine a 90-place leap in the next 2 years as Brewster's recruits mature. (This is of course the minimum it will take to get to the Rose Bowl, which was our stated ambition, as well as Brewster's.) Brewster has always had plenty of talent to maintain a presence in the top 25. Instead he has FAILED.

I didn't mention Royston, Carufel, or Wills because they were not Mason recruits.

I know, just pointing out the overall lack of seniors (especially upperclassmen depth) on this football team.

Ellestad was a transfer as well.

No, he wasn't.

No doubt, Hoese will be missed.

True, but for his heart, leadership, and tone-setting in the weight room and locker room. He's reliable, but unspectacular, on the field.

This is one of the most idiotic statements I've ever heard. I fought the urge to respond but alas, no self-restraint.

Brewster's recruits are this year's freshmen, RS freshmen, and RS sophomores. If you're expecting a group of freshmen and sophomores to roll in and dominate the Big Ten, there's literally no help for you. At the risk of sounding condescending (that means to talk down to somebody), I honestly feel sorry for you.

Look at the depth charts for most of the teams in the Big Ten, especially on defense. I found at least 5 teams that didn't start more than TWO PLAYERS younger than juniors, a couple of them only one.

http://ohiostate.rivals.com/cdepthtext.asp?Year=2007&Team=MINNESOTA

Illinois - 2 sophomores
Iowa - 1 sophomore
Northwestern - 1 sophomore
Ohio State - 2 sophomores
Wisconsin - 1 Freshman, 1 sophomore

Michigan State has a similar number of FR and SO on their starting defense as the Gophers but they have a beast in Greg Jones leading a list of four 3-year starting seniors to go along with it.

And there you have the Gophers with 3 Sophomores, 2 Freshmen, and a JuCo DB who's never played D-1 ball before this year.

The Gophers have lost a couple of games they should have won because they have a defense full of young kids making mistakes. The good news is, they're making fewer mistakes every week.

Brewster may or may not be the coach next year and I'm really indifferent to that. Whether it's Brewster or the next guy though, the coach next year is going to look like a genius because the cupboard is full, finally. The best players on the team are freshmen and sophomores, which is really kind of exciting.

Mason shouldn't have been fired, he should have been taken out and shot.

I stand by my statement. The only really talented player he has recruited is Gray. There isn't another player that has lived up to all of Brewters hype. He is not recruiting the best by a long shot. That is what he was supposed to do and he is not doing it. I don't know how you can argue otherwise. It doesn't really matter whether they are freshman or seniors they were not the best when they were recruited and they have not been developed at all either.

This x1000. I was screaming that at the game, just knock it down! You know you're a short guy covering a large guy, be safe and bat it down, 4th down they probably kick a FG instead of 6. I like that Collado plays hard, and tackles well, but in coverage... sigh.

This. On third and long, you absolutely HAVE to make sure to keep them from putting up points. This had nothing to do with brew. It was a bonehead play by Collado, and I really believe that if he had simply knocked it down, we would have won the game.

Talk about hindsight. The kid almost comes down with a game sealing pick, but people want him to just knock it down, concede points and make it a one score game? Imagine the board reaction if he actually did that.

Talk about hindsight. The kid almost comes down with a game sealing pick, but people want him to just knock it down, concede points and make it a one score game? Imagine the board reaction if he actually did that.

Concede points? Northwestern has as bad of a kicker as us. Who knows if he makes that FG? Who knows if NW drives down the field on the next possession and scores a touchdown? I know what Collado was trying to do and it would have been great to see him pick it off, but the reality is that they got 6 points instead and it may have very well cost us the game.

It's hindsight any way you shake it. He was in position and made a good play. The other kid made a better play, plain and simple.

He gave up a touchdown. It was not a good play. He made a good effort but it was not a good decision.

I know, just pointing out the overall lack of seniors (especially upperclassmen depth) on this football team.

No, he wasn't.

True, but for his heart, leadership, and tone-setting in the weight room and locker room. He's reliable, but unspectacular, on the field.

For some reason I thought Ellestad played at some junior college in SW Minnesota his first year or two? Maybe I'm thinking about somebody else.

Now I have to go and look or it will bother me.

For some reason I thought Ellestad played at some junior college in SW Minnesota his first year or two? Maybe I'm thinking about somebody else.

Now I have to go and look or it will bother me.

Could you be thinking of Rhys Lloyd maybe? He played at Rochester before coming here.

Ellestad was a walk-on straight out of HS.

Top Bottom