Phil Miller blog: TV appearance frustrates Collado

Even Carter has been a flip of the coin so far. He should be so good by now. He's got all the tools, yet he can't put it together. Maybe it's on him, maybe it's not.

McKnight has been nothing but average so far after a really good run at the end of last year.

Carter is still very young. Bring this back up next year. McKnight has been solid. I do not see a lack of talent here.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Only the Seniors are not Brewster's recruits. Brewster was on board and signed the 2007 class, Mase was fired right after his Debacle Bowl against Texas Tech. About a quarter to a third of the Sr on the roster are his as well, including Theret, Carufel, Royston, etc.

But hey, don't let facts get in your way.

I have to interrupt Kool Aid's and Stocker08's foreplayfor a quick question:

This post was a joke, right?

Sorry, but you are wrong. Only the Seniors are not Brewster's recruits. Brewster was on board and signed the 2007 class, Mase was fired right after his Debacle Bowl against Texas Tech. About a quarter to a third of the Sr on the roster are his as well, including Theret, Carufel, Royston, etc.

But hey, don't let facts get in your way.

Ummmm, thanks for fortifying my point for me, Charlie Brown.

I'm well aware that Carufel and Royston and Theret are Brewster's guys. Doesn't this even further reinforce that Mason left ABSOLUTELY NOTHING? You should have given that some thougth before jumping into the foray. It's absolutely embarassing that this team essentially doesn't have an impact player that is a Senior.

For that matter, Carufel and Royston weren't exactly "recruits". They fell into Brewster's lap and he knew they were just hole-fillers until recruits behind them were ready to play, which would be next season (unless you're going to try to argue that the Freshmen behind Royston are showing that they ARE ready to play this year?).

I think I'm actually speechless.

You can say right now definitively that a guy who is a freshman or a sophomore today won't be worth a crap as a senior?

Tell me you're not wasting these talents of yours and that you either have a high-level position with a football team somewhere evaluating talent or that you are making money on the side palm-reading or seeing the future?

I REALLY need you to send me a private email with a few final scores of even just a couple games this weekend. I'll split the cash with you, you have my word on that.

Not what I am saying at all. They have a chance to be coached up to be better players than they currently are(if we fire Brewster) but I would not call the players we have recruited worthy of what Brewster claimed he was capable of recruiting. I expect better recruiting from a so called recruiting guru and not the guys we have been picking up. Boise St. can do it with recruits like we have and so can we with a different coach but that isn't what Brewster was brought here to do. He was brought in to recruit players that were more highly ranked by rivals and espn and other places like that. He hasn't done it so by by.

The Brewster hype? What is that, a dance or something. It's called experience. These players will improve as they play more. Did you just start watching football this year?

The hype was that he was going to bring in more talented players and he hasn't done it with the exception of gray. If we want to develop players we are going to need a coach that can do that.

Not what I am saying at all. They have a chance to be coached up to be better players than they currently are(if we fire Brewster) but I would not call the players we have recruited worthy of what Brewster claimed he was capable of recruiting. I expect better recruiting from a so called recruiting guru and not the guys we have been picking up. Boise St. can do it with recruits like we have and so can we with a different coach but that isn't what Brewster was brought here to do. He was brought in to recruit players that were more highly ranked by rivals and espn and other places like that. He hasn't done it so by by.

Again, how would you know? Boise State is your example?

Boise State starts one Soph on defense and two Sophs on offense; the rest are Juniors and Seniors with multiple years of starting under their belt. TWO of their starters on defense did not letter/start last year.

Keep trying though, you're getting an "A" for effort.

Now, when THESE guys that are playing for the Gophers , the ones that are Freshmen and Sophomores right now, are Juniors and Seniors and they STILL look like crap, I will absolutely 100% agree with you. No trouble admitting that I'm wrong at that point.

Well I guess if you think we are stacked for the rose bowl next year or the year after then I guess you are right. I don't think we are though. I don't think we are even stacked enough for the top 4 of the conference in the next 2 years. Brew hasn't recruited talented enough players and isn't capable of coaching them up.

Well I guess if you think we are stacked for the rose bowl next year or the year after then I guess you are right. I don't think we are though. I don't think we are even stacked enough for the top 4 of the conference in the next 2 years. Brew hasn't recruited talented enough players and isn't capable of coaching them up.

I actually DO think they are stacked, because the foundation for the 85-man roster has finally been built the right way, slowly but surely; with the exception of the rare, exceptional talent that can start right away (Carter was forced to start last year, too early, for example), a huge majority of the recruits get red-shirted, have time to grow, mature in the program. Then they start to evolve into role players, and finally starters.

We have seen and will continue to see fewer and fewer JuCo guys. They were brought on to fill the gap until the young players mature and develop. Look at this year, the secondary, and perhaps the LB corps, are the most inexperienced part of the roster and those were essentially the only JuCo players that the coaching staff went after. You don't build a program with JuCos, they were a short-term solution; some work out, some don't. There's a reason most of them are playing JuCo ball in the first place.

I wouldn't guarantee the Rose Bowl next year or the year after, who can say. I also can't say who the coach will be.

Whoever the coach is next year, whether it's Brewster or the next guy, is going to look like a miracle worker though. They literally don't lose hardly any impact players, with the exception of a 4-year starter at QB who most people on the board hate anyway.

By the way, a top 4 conference finish would be the best they've seen in decades, certainly something that Mason never achieved, much less several of his predecessors. I don't think too many would be horribly disappointed with that kind of a finish next year or the year after.

Are you saying Ed Olson isn't a talented player? The guy will be an All-American by the end of his Gopher career.

I won't be a Brewster apologist with blinders on thinking he is doing a great job anymore.

Are you saying Ed Olson isn't a talented player? The guy will be an All-American by the end of his Gopher career.

No, you're missing the point! I believe the argument is that if you aren't making an impact as a FR or a SO that you're a complete bust as a recruit.

Top Bottom