Personal Favorite Gopher Football player

Val Martin and AJ Barker. JK, but Barker was fun until he wasn't. I have a soft spot for the Howdens, Schlueters, Sori Marins, and other much maligned players that keep working and end up having solid careers.

Don’t hate on this one, but Tyrone Carter was one helluva Gopher football player.

Bobby Bell: His signing with the Chiefs instead of the Vikings was a dark day for me.

My favourites in rank order:

- AWJ (All around round superstar - great character - now my top NFL player
- Brock Vereen - another strong leadership 100% reliable
- Gary Tinsley - tough kid in the middle of a poor defence. Made me admire him more that we were always plugging gaps. RIP.

As a young lad, MB3 and Laurence Maroney made me a Gopher fan.

Honorable mention: Rhys Lloyd
I’ll never forget him running to the axe before it went through the uprights. Truly one of my greatest memories as a Gophers fan.

Unrelated, but @fmlizard and @touchdownvikings, do you guys know of a Gopher bar in the Tampa Bay area where a Gopher fan can maybe watch the games this fall? Asking for a friend.

As a young lad, MB3 and Laurence Maroney made me a Gopher fan.

Honorable mention: Rhys Lloyd
I’ll never forget him running to the axe before it went through the uprights. Truly one of my greatest memories as a Gophers fan.

Unrelated, but @fmlizard and @touchdownvikings, do you guys know of a Gopher bar in the Tampa Bay area where a Gopher fan can maybe watch the games this fall? Asking for a friend.
I really don't know of a Gophers bar here. Plenty of sports bars where the game will be on - just no Gophers bars that I'm aware of.

I really don't know of a Gophers bar here. Plenty of sports bars where the game will be on - just no Gophers bars that I'm aware of.
i think I remember a Gopherholer who moved to Tampa and opened or bought a brewery there...??? Something that sticks in my porous brain from the Outback bowl threads..... anyway good luck and hope you find one.

i think I remember a Gopherholer who moved to Tampa and opened or bought a brewery there...??? Something that sticks in my porous brain from the Outback bowl threads..... anyway good luck and hope you find one.
Found it. Bay Cannon Brewery. Not sure if they would be an offical "Gopher Bar" but maybe it's worth checking into... Here's his post from 2019:

Bay Cannon

New member​

JoinedDec 10, 2019Messages3Reaction score5Points3
I'm a former Minnesotan and Mpls/St Paul Beer wonk who moved to Tampa and finally opened the brewery we moved here for! It is located perfectly for pregame and post game festivities at Raymond James, home of the Outback Bowl!

Bay Cannon Beer Company at 2106 W Main St. opened August 2nd, and we couldn't be more excited that the Gophers are making their way down. We have fresh beers (a couple with MN grown hops) a full kitchen, wine, slushees and our own root beer and NA seltzer. Please use us as an unofficial Gopher hospitality home for your stay in Tampa and enjoy your trip down. I will be in attendance with 9 other family members from MN, and look forward to saying hello to as many Gophers as possible! Any questions at all reach out to [email protected] or check us out on social at @baycannonbeer on IG, FB or Twitter, or of course website at baycannon.com

As a kid, my favorite Gopher was Chris Darkins.

While I was at the U, my favorite was probably Maroney.

As an adult, it's Winfield.

Ryan Keller (WR during Mason years - had a class with him -- always cool to shoo the sh!t with),
Akeem Akinwale (RIP) - had a class wit him too -- same thing)
Matt Spaeth
Tony Patterson
Setterstrom & Eslinger

I also enjoy little things too
-Cupito gutted out the '04 Music City Bowl playing on practically one leg because Adam Ernst wasnt' available
-Ryan Collado was thrown to the wolves early but gave everything he had & wrapped up his career with game saving fumble recovery vs Iowa
-Ron Johnson owned Nate Clements at OSU in '00
-Eric Murray in that I practically never heard his name said over a broadcast because he was as close to a shutdown CB that the Gophs have had in recent memory
-Coughlin's emotion after he forced a strip sack vs Wisconsin that said we are not losing this game
-The maturation of KJ Maye as a playmaker
-Ben Hamilton transforming from a 220 high schooler into a long career
-Weber for having to deal with the revolving door of offensive coaches
-Jermaine Mays for being a punt blocking wizard in 2002

Top Bottom