Perception to black recruits and their families

Trust me, the last thing that any recruit or family member is worried about is the freaking governor. A rogue police force that might target African-Americans just because? Yeah, that's very much a concern. But the governor? On the list of concerns in this case, Walz is so far down the list it's not even worth mentioning.
I gotta agreed with this...

Care to revise your statement? Good lord folks...:banghead:

How the H did he get on the freeway if it was closed? I haven't been out. Is this the honor system?

How the H did he get on the freeway if it was closed? I haven't been out. Is this the honor system?

I have no idea; there were literally thousands of people on 35 when it happened. Apparently, Carter wasn't the only notable person on the bridge. Top-rated hoops recruit Chet Holmgren was also there...

Why so much name calling on a message board ! It is ok to have different points of view. Actually it is a good thing. There are wonderful policeman and some terrible policeman, just like any profession.There are great conservatives, great liberals. Making it personal seems so empty.

Apparently the freeway was closed ahead of schedule and there were vehicles stuck on I-35. So cars were doing u-turns and driving down the on-ramp to get off the freeway and find an alternate route.

A guy who knows one of the Skor North producers was on the bridge and gave his eye-witness account. Said the truck driver would have had to go by a long line of these cars leaving the freeway, so he had to know what was going on and had to see the marchers. There were other reports that the truck driver sped up when he got closer to the marchers. A bleepin' miracle no one was seriously hurt.
If all of that is true, the truck driver deserves to have been roughed up. Also worth noting that some of the marchers were trying to stop other people from beating the guy up.

"It's how THEY roll?" Are you kidding me MODS?

"A community that can not keep tens of thousands of their own members from being killed by each other is never going to be able to keep one, two or three of their members from being killed by non members of their community."

WOW. Are you serious? Is this 1961? Are you fucking George Wallace?

Ban this fucking piece of excrement. This is how we are allowing Gopher fans and Gopher football to be repped? Disgusting. People have been banned for FAR FAR FAR less. This is not okay.

Those who riot???
If you get banned (or suspended or whatever), it won't be because you're some crusader for free-speech that has been unfairly censored (which will likely be your self-professed lament that is all too predictable for the political snowflakes out there). It'll be because you stated that you aren't afraid of anything because you don't live near these idiots (aka...African American communities). Then you doubled down with this gem:

"A community that can not keep tens of thousands of their own members from being killed by each other is never going to be able to keep one, two or three of their members from being killed by non members of their community. And each time that happens, no matter what the rest of do, or pass, or concede, or charge, or send to jail, or fail to change, they will have the excuse to loot and burn some more."
With this being the central theme of it all:

"If I were to live another 74 years I would see exactly the same things happen many, many more times. Its how they roll."
None of that has anything to do with honest debate, productive discussion, your sense of personal martyrdom or even practiced democracy. It's simply the rantings of an old man who thinks his bigotry is justified because he's 74 and should therefore be respected regardless.

If you want to honestly try to make suggestions regarding what can help the African-American community overcome its admitted struggles from policy standpoints, have at it. But that's not what this is. This is you simply regurgitating the tired trope of "African American communities suck and always will. Let's debate!"

And with this being a sports forum that has an expected level of conduct, you'd have more than earned whatever banning or suspension you received.

Where did you get the "aka, African-American communities"? Didn't that come out of YOUR head, not mine? Yes it did. I was referring to the rioters and looters, not everyone in any community.

The second statement is simply a statement of facts, simple statistics published widely by government sources.

What YOU, and not me, called my central theme is just what I have seen over and over and over again since 1968. Many African Americans riot, loot and burn things when anything bad happens even before the law has had a chance to do the right thing. Just as happened this time. Even you do not believe this will not happen again no matter what happens at this trial. The looting in particular has absolutely nothing to do with justice, it is just a lot of people wanting free stuff. That will not change next time someone white does something stupid to a black person.

But you do not want a debate, you only want to silent those who have a different opinion than you do.

Why so much name calling on a message board ! It is ok to have different points of view. Actually it is a good thing. There are wonderful policeman and some terrible policeman, just like any profession.There are great conservatives, great liberals. Making it personal seems so empty.

"Empty barrels make the most noise." Thank you again for your sane opinions on these matters.

So, this is a thread about how Gopher Football recruits might react to the events in the Twin Cities.
Some people have expressed concern that this might impact recruiting of African-American Players.

And someone who claims to be a Gopher fan comes on here and criticizes African-Americans.

That should help recruiting! Way to support the program.

Apparently, African-Americans must like to drink and stand up at games.

MPLS is the poster child of the person who would inform on his neighbors any time they do not tow the party line. In Cambodia he would have turned in his parents for having an education or being able to speak in a foreign language.

For goodness sake Veritas, something stinks. It's coming out of your mouth :poop:.

Those who riot???

Where did you get the "aka, African-American communities"? Didn't that come out of YOUR head, not mine? Yes it did. I was referring to the rioters and looters, not everyone in any community.

The second statement is simply a statement of facts, simple statistics published widely by government sources.

What YOU, and not me, called my central theme is just what I have seen over and over and over again since 1968. Many African Americans riot, loot and burn things when anything bad happens even before the law has had a chance to do the right thing. Just as happened this time. Even you do not believe this will not happen again no matter what happens at this trial. The looting in particular has absolutely nothing to do with justice, it is just a lot of people wanting free stuff. That will not change next time someone white does something stupid to a black person.

But you do not want a debate, you only want to silent those who have a different opinion than you do.

There is nothing to debate according to your own post. You made a flat, definitive statement of conclusion based on what you think is inherent in African American communities.

And while we're on the subject of flat, definitive statements, your ability to clarify what you're discussing is sorely lacking.

You started the post in question by using the term "idiots" without clarifying what "idiots" you were referring to. From there, you launched into a full-on attack of the African-Americn community. Are we supposed to read your mind and assume you meant some other "idiots"? Then, when assessing the social circumstances of African Americans, you didn't say many or even some of them are bad actors, you used the blanket term "community" to describe their actions and behavior. To top it off, you still haven't offered any productive solutions to the issues you claim to care so much about. That's not debate. That's simply stating a perspective without inviting any engagement. If you eventually choose to do so, this isn't the place for it. That conversation belongs on the Off-Topic Board.

Therefore, I'm not going to try and change your mind about anything. As you stated, you've seen it time after time in your 74 years. This is how they act and how they behave. And it'll be same story in another 74 years. So to sum up, you've made up your mind. Its closed. And there is nothing left to say judging by the tenor of your own words.

As a result, I consider this conversation closed and am ready to move back to the topic at hand: Gopher football.

Other than the original killing, the riots and looting are everywhere in the country. I think because of that it won't be as detrimental to recruiting as if the riots were only in Minnesota.
For out of state recruits they are probably thinking it's a national problem, not only Minnesota.
Just my 2 cents worth (or less).

I am black and have a voice. As you know, people are not good or bad based on the color of their skin. I am not part of a conservative right or a progressive left. I do not think white supremists are part of this looting and arson as they would stand out in this crowd. Not sure what film people are looking at. Most people can agree that excessive force , criminal force was used on george. Due process will likely prevail. Protests are different then riots, i have protested but i never stole something or damaged property.

There were many white protesters. There were also white supremacists on Lake Street. Some were wearing clothing to advertise it. There were other small groups of white men wearing all black. They were not with the protestors but were causing property damage. I know this because I grew up over there and my mom is still living 3 blocks from Lake. Business owners were chasing away these small groups.

There were many white protesters. There were also white supremacists on Lake Street. Some were wearing clothing to advertise it. There were other small groups of white men wearing all black. They were not with the protestors but were causing property damage. I know this because I grew up over there and my mom is still living 3 blocks from Lake. Business owners were chasing away these small groups.

Thanks for this post. The fact builtbadgers is talking like he knows definitively when he wasn't there is truly strange.

"It's how THEY roll?" Are you kidding me MODS?

"A community that can not keep tens of thousands of their own members from being killed by each other is never going to be able to keep one, two or three of their members from being killed by non members of their community."

WOW. Are you serious? Is this 1961? Are you fucking George Wallace?

Ban this fucking piece of excrement. This is how we are allowing Gopher fans and Gopher football to be repped? Disgusting. People have been banned for FAR FAR FAR less. This is not okay.
Relax, he's just a typical Trump voter.

Other than the original killing, the riots and looting are everywhere in the country. I think because of that it won't be as detrimental to recruiting as if the riots were only in Minnesota.
For out of state recruits they are probably thinking it's a national problem, not only Minnesota.
Just my 2 cents worth (or less).

Completely agree. This isn't a Minneapolis or even Minnesota problem only. This is a national problem. And as we're now starting to see, an international problem. As such, I highly doubt it'll affect the recruiting class much if at all.

I have no idea; there were literally thousands of people on 35 when it happened. Apparently, Carter wasn't the only notable person on the bridge. Top-rated hoops recruit Chet Holmgren was also there...

From a Strib story just posted. Assuming it's accurate it's a pretty poor method of "closing" a freeway.

One motorist, Meaghan Pezon, told the Star Tribune that said she encountered no barricades blocking traffic onto the bridge in the minutes before the truck barreled through the crowd. Pezon was heading home from a day on Lake Minnetonka, driving north toward Roseville on I-35, where she saw about 10 cars heading the wrong way toward her.

“I was confused and knew I should probably turn around, but there was no good place for me to do it,” she said. “I got to the Washington bridge, and my car was surrounded by protesters. When a protester first approached me, there were no police, no barricades, no indication that 35 was closed.”

As police swarmed the area and protesters dispersed, she turn onto an entrance ramp, going the wrong way.

Never said there were not white protestors. As a person of color i am seeing far more people of color doing the looting, we have zero footage of who started the fires. Looting is not protesting. I see people of all color protesting. I support protesting.It is not a political view for me, i deplore both parties equally. White supremists burning down buildings in areas of a high concentration of minorities would be murdered on the spot. White supremacy and groups like Antifa are the worst kinds of humans, they operate from hate to instill fear. the worst kind of ignorance. This will have very little effect on recruiting. Perhaps people will pay attention to systemic segregation in the city, research the real estate deeds for answers in suppressed areas, actually care about education, do it from empathy, not pity.

There may have been different white supremacists but didn't a lot of these "white supremacists" turn out to actually be ministers and pastors dressed in there white gowns supporting the prostesters.

Currently, there are 18 cities who are protesting and some of them have become violent. This is not not only a U of M or a Twin Cities issue but a national issue all Americans are discussing daily. If there are schools who are using this issue against the university of Minnesota during the recruiting process then maybe the other schools shouldn't have your teams visit the Twin Cities or the other 18 cities who are protesting.

EDIT: I would like to be more clear. If it can happen here it can happen anywhere.

Last edited:

From a Strib story just posted. Assuming it's accurate it's a pretty poor method of "closing" a freeway.

One motorist, Meaghan Pezon, told the Star Tribune that said she encountered no barricades blocking traffic onto the bridge in the minutes before the truck barreled through the crowd. Pezon was heading home from a day on Lake Minnetonka, driving north toward Roseville on I-35, where she saw about 10 cars heading the wrong way toward her.

“I was confused and knew I should probably turn around, but there was no good place for me to do it,” she said. “I got to the Washington bridge, and my car was surrounded by protesters. When a protester first approached me, there were no police, no barricades, no indication that 35 was closed.”

As police swarmed the area and protesters dispersed, she turn onto an entrance ramp, going the wrong way.

Side question: Is this the same Meaghan Pezon that plays for the Whitecaps? If it is, that's interesting...

Never said there were not white protestors. As a person of color i am seeing far more people of color doing the looting, we have zero footage of who started the fires. Looting is not protesting. I see people of all color protesting. I support protesting.It is not a political view for me, i deplore both parties equally. White supremists burning down buildings in areas of a high concentration of minorities would be murdered on the spot. White supremacy and groups like Antifa are the worst kinds of humans, they operate from hate to instill fear. the worst kind of ignorance. This will have very little effect on recruiting. Perhaps people will pay attention to systemic segregation in the city, research the real estate deeds for answers in suppressed areas, actually care about education, do it from empathy, not pity.

There has been a shift in the wording but I really wish everyone across the board would stop referring to the rioters as protestors. The protestors who are exercising their right for free speech and peaceful protest are not the problem. Those people who are looking to exploit the situation and create mayhem are.

The people doing the looting and burning don't give a crap about George Floyd and all they are doing is taking the focus off of where it should be and putting it onto the actions of those trying to create problems. Referring to those aholes as protestors does a dis-service to all those that are actually out there taking a stand for something and hoping to see change happen.

Didn't read all of this crap on the tread and have added a few more to my "ignore" list.

All you have to do is see the umbrella guy, the guys on scooters with bats and assault weapons, the flammable "bombs" left in various parts of the city, the stolen cars with no license plates that are pulled over full of flammables/weapons, the crazed young man chasing the press destroying cameras, the pair of white girls all dressed in black and spray painting obscenities and BLM on store fronts that quickly walk away when confronted by local citizens. That is all your have to see to know that there are outside instigators that are trying to escalate the situation for their own purposes. Talking to law enforcement people that were involved in the situation and they all say there is obvious, well organized groups that are instigating a majority of the violence and destruction.

Didn't read all of this crap on the tread and have added a few more to my "ignore" list.

All you have to do is see the umbrella guy, the guys on scooters with bats and assault weapons, the flammable "bombs" left in various parts of the city, the stolen cars with no license plates that are pulled over full of flammables/weapons, the crazed young man chasing the press destroying cameras, the pair of white girls all dressed in black and spray painting obscenities and BLM on store fronts that quickly walk away when confronted by local citizens. That is all your have to see to know that there are outside instigators that are trying to escalate the situation for their own purposes. Talking to law enforcement people that were involved in the situation and they all say there is obvious, well organized groups that are instigating a majority of the violence and destruction.
No question those are all factors and this can happen anywhere.

Did Veritas finally get banned? If so, well done.

If not, he has been oddly quiet since blowing up this thread all weekend.

There has been a shift in the wording but I really wish everyone across the board would stop referring to the rioters as protestors. The protestors who are exercising their right for free speech and peaceful protest are not the problem. Those people who are looking to exploit the situation and create mayhem are.

The people doing the looting and burning don't give a crap about George Floyd and all they are doing is taking the focus off of where it should be and putting it onto the actions of those trying to create problems. Referring to those aholes as protestors does a dis-service to all those that are actually out there taking a stand for something and hoping to see change happen.
The ignorance is real. Several people interviewed simply do not know the difference between rioting and protesting.

Did Veritas finally get banned? If so, well done.

If not, he has been oddly quiet since blowing up this thread all weekend.

I think I saw his account was marked "banned," so I'm guessing the answer to your question is yes...

Top Bottom