Perception to black recruits and their families

Some Day...Maybe

Reaction score
Would be interesting to hear Coach Fleck’s take on this whole situation. He’s a big time leader in the Twin Cities community.

Would also be interesting to hear the thoughts of black players on the football team and potential black recruits. Would be interested to hear from the non black guys on the football team as well.

I suspect some players will be understandably shy about speaking out a great deal.

This day and age even politians will skew the truth and make anyone their scapegoat.

Last edited:

Would be interesting to hear Coach Fleck’s take on this whole situation. He’s a big time leader in the Twin Cities community.

Would also be interesting to hear the thoughts of black players on the football team and potential black recruits. Would be interested to hear from the non black guys on the football team as well.

Well, again, Burns said that Fleck has spent 36 hours straight dealing with this with recruits. Other coaches are already using this against Minnesota football.

Well, again, Burns said that Fleck has spent 36 hours straight dealing with this with recruits. Other coaches are already using this against Minnesota football.
This can't be at all good. I assume it will hurt.

Oh yes, it's going to for sure be used against the U and their recruits are going to be attempted to be poached. I think the ongoing riots (not those peacefully protesting) I think is going to be the biggest negative stain because it's not going to be over for a while...it keeps the negative light shining on the Twin Cities and potentially the U of M. Fortunately they have probably the best possible communicator of positivity in the college football world in PJ Fleck. Hopefully he can keep things together in what's been just a horrible situation.

I'd like to know what they're thinking but hopefully they keep their mouths shut. Pretty much anything they can say will make a lot of people mad.

The negative attention towards the Twin Cities can't be good but if Fleck responds well that could make him and the program look really good. Fleck is all about character and leadership and the past few days have shown a huge lack of both of those by a lot of people. If he can successfully get the message across that the program is about more than football and what they learn will help them become leaders in solving problems like these in the future, he could get the recruits more excited to come play for him.

If Fleck chooses to address this then I would fully support him, but I would also support him if he chooses not to tie the football team to this. This entire situation is f***ed.

Sounds like most people here missed it but Rashod did publicly comment, as did several Gopher football alumni.

Would rather not hear anything from Fleck, any of the white players, or any of the black players. Not their place or role to add anything from their university position about it

Would rather not hear anything from Fleck, any of the white players, or any of the black players. Not their place or role to add anything from their university position about it
So you’re voicing your opinion as an anonymous poster, but it’s not their place/role to do so publicly?

I'd like to know what they're thinking but hopefully they keep their mouths shut. Pretty much anything they can say will make a lot of people mad.

The negative attention towards the Twin Cities can't be good but if Fleck responds well that could make him and the program look really good. Fleck is all about character and leadership and the past few days have shown a huge lack of both of those by a lot of people. If he can successfully get the message across that the program is about more than football and what they learn will help them become leaders in solving problems like these in the future, he could get the recruits more excited to come play for him.
You probably shouldn’t post about police abuse since you don’t do anything when you witness it in person.

They are pretty active on social media and they will / have been sharing their thoughts about the situation, as have many other athletes. I've seen posts from Zack, Mo, Rashod, and Faalele already. It's their right and place to speak up if they feel the need to speak up and it's the coaching staff's job to make sure they are supported, do things the right way, and are protected from blow back as long as they are doing things the right way.

Fleck was hired to handle these situations better than his predecessors and we caught a glimpse of that with COVID where he created a ton of positive publicity with his video release. This is where his 'culture' mantra is supposed to shine.

It's just Minnesota Sports in a nutshell.

First, they can't practice and covid. Then to top it off, this schit happens.

None of this caused by Minnesota football, but it hurts the program like hell.

You just can't make up the schit that happens to sports teams in this state.

Why did I know there would be a thread like this on here. If anyone knows about the way black recruits and their families think, it’s the white folks that make up the membership of this forum. Arrest the cops and things will go back to business as usual including with the football program ?

Life goes on

"I eat difficult conversations for breakfast". Coach has 1-2 years worth of breakfast's waiting for him, if we still have a program left when all the current situations (Covid-19 and riots) are done running there course. I cannot think of a better person to take on the challenge than Coach Fleck.

WOW. Seriously?? How do you know how much of this has affected them? Just keep them all quiet and hope it blows over?? The problems need to be fixed, not covered up!!

What happened to George Floyd is too upsetting and wrong on all levels. The Gophers coaching staff will do everything to support and comfort players and recruits.

What better coach a recruit can have in this most difficult time. PJ Fleck is a life coach first and foremost.

Pray for the country. Pray for the State of MN. Pray for Gopher Sports. Pray for loved ones who are ill with the coronavirus, cancer, or other health crisis.

We can do this together as a nation.

Last edited:

Well said by Morgan.

What happened Monday night was truly horrible. The subsequent looting and rioting is horrible as well because it takes the focus off of where it should be and puts it onto those using Floyd's death as an excuse to burn buildings and destroy businesses that had NOTHING to do with happened to George Floyd.

Holy crap. Reading the Gopher Hole, one will occasionally read comments that are untrue, negative, offending, politically incorrect, intolerant, and even racist...that's just the way the internet works. For the most part I can ignore that. But that comment was enough to make me reply.
I hope that Fleck and the players are very vocal. I hope they let their feelings be known in a positive, productive way. This is the city they live in, or will live in, and they have just as much right to speak out as a middle-aged, white man living in Shakopee clicking away on his iPhone.
I hope they let everyone know that this is not the University of Minnesota and this is not the MPD. I hope they let everyone know that they will do what is right to help this city and state heal and make things better for African-Americans.
If you're a fan of Gopher football, you want to hear from them and let them share their thoughts and feelings. And you want to support them.

Last edited:

I am confident that one way or another Fleck will turn this into a positive for the team. My guess is that he gets them more involved with the community and uses all of this as a teaching moment. There are plenty of idiots in the world and if you are going to be elite you have to be a leader and not a follower or a participant. What is happening is not a good representation of the whole community. Nobody thinks what happened to Floyd was justified, we don't know the whole story, but nothing can defend what the police did. People have been cooped up for a couple moths, temperatures are running hot, the politicians and the police fostered this behavior, it was bound to explode somewhere, it happened to be the over reach of police in Minneapolis that has sparked the nation. Fleck will help all of this, I am sure.

They are college kids and teenagers who certainly have their perspective but I am pretty sure as team mates, they support each other. Everything anyone needs to hear has been said. I trust that Fleck will guide these kids expertly and keep them out of what we see can be a viscous media.

We are going to need these young men to be future leaders now more than ever. Share their perspective and experiences, raise their voices, and lead our community into a stronger, more equitable future for everyone.

Nice take (y) I agree. Come out stronger

Last edited:

If I was a family with a recruited son, I would question coming to a State with such a weak governor. Sad

If I was a family with a recruited son, I would question coming to a State with such a weak governor. Sad

Trust me, the last thing that any recruit or family member is worried about is the freaking governor. A rogue police force that might target African-Americans just because? Yeah, that's very much a concern. But the governor? On the list of concerns in this case, Walz is so far down the list it's not even worth mentioning.

Keeping pushing your crumbling political agenda. All over in 5 months, baby BABY!!

Top Bottom