Per Doogie - Associate AD Jason LaFrenz has been let go

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here's Doogie's tweet:

It was a matter of time w/ Teague intent on change & adding 2 assoc. ADs from VCU, but sorry to see assoc. AD Jason LaFrenz let go. #gophers

Edit - continued:

Assoc. AD Regina Sullivan was also let go. She had her men's basketball duties stripped when Mike Ellis came. #gophers

I was a big Regina Sullivan fan, she always seemed to have her head on straight and really care about the Gophers. Wish them both the best of luck moving forward.

I cannot comment on Regina, but I have spoken with Mike and he is a great guy and we are lucky to have him.

I had great experiences with Jason. I first met him when he randomly walked by our crew during the 2nd half of the Nebraska game last year. We were some of the few folks who had stuck around to watch that mess and he randomly invited four of us to come with him to watch the rest of the game on the field. Thereafter, I made a point to say "hello" whenever we ran into each other at Victory marches and such.

Additionally, he was instrumental in lining up donations from the UMN athletic department for a fundraiser our neighborhood put together for a six year old in the hood who needed a kindney transplant this past spring. Jason arranged for a signed Jerry footbal and tickets to the Syracuse game (brought in $300 at the silent auction), along with a a signed Tubby ball and tickets to a BB game (also brought in $300).

He wanted no credit for any of this.

I wondered if this was an inevitable change when Teague was hired, and understandable, though no less unfortunate in my eyes - just the nature of change. I wish Jason nothing but the best.

In my experiences with him, he was always a great dude.

I had great experiences with Jason. I first met him when he randomly walked by our crew during the 2nd half of the Nebraska game last year. We were some of the few folks who had stuck around to watch that mess and he randomly invited four of us to come with him to watch the rest of the game on the field. Thereafter, I made a point to say "hello" whenever we ran into each other at Victory marches and such.

Additionally, he was instrumental in lining up donations from the UMN athletic department for a fundraiser our neighborhood put together for a six year old in the hood who needed a kindney transplant this past spring. Jason arranged for a signed Jerry footbal and tickets to the Syracuse game (brought in $300 at the silent auction), along with a a signed Tubby ball and tickets to a BB game (also brought in $300).

I wondered if this was an inevitable change when Teague was hired, and understandable, though no less unfortunate in my eyes - just the nature of change. I wish Jason nothing but the best.

+1

I worked with Jason with the Timberwolves many years ago, and think he is a very solid guy. I'm sure he'll land on his feet.

If I were Borton I would be polishing up my resume and having my agent make contacts

There is no way she Borton skates by with another awful Big10 record and losing season and keeps that job.
If she doesn't step up the win total, she will be gone. Her last friend in the athletic department can no longer protect her
from running the W basketball program down the drain.

Great story, thanks for sharing. Good to know he is a good guy!

I don't care how nice anybody is, until we're contending for Big Ten titles in the major sports on a fairly regular basis (once a decade would be a nice start) and selling out our games, anybody is fair game for dismissal.

I wish them well, they sound like good people, but ultimately you need results too, these moves shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

I don't care how nice anybody is, until we're contending for Big Ten titles in the major sports on a fairly regular basis (once a decade would be a nice start) and selling out our games, anybody is fair game for dismissal.

Amen.

2 B10 titles in Men's BB/FB out of over 80 chances is pathetic. With no end in sight.

It's no different than any corporate setting - when a new CEO is put into place, he/she eventually replaces the leadership team with his/her own people. I would bet Jason and others saw the writing on the wall a while ago.

Just an FYI - I'm pretty sure Jason's dismissal would not have been due to athletic performance on the field/in the arena; it's my understanding that, in regard to athletic team responsibilities (in addition to his other measuring points), his were mostly tied to the wrestling team (and track, I think).

Amen.

2 B10 titles in Men's BB/FB out of over 80 chances is pathetic. With no end in sight.

1 combined title in almost 90 chances (what it actually is) since 1967 is even more pathetic. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened at some point in basketball (though it likely won't), but I'm willing to live with the very real possibility that it may never happen in my lifetime in football. It's depressing to think about, but the odds are not good.

Good Luck to Jason ! A solid guy and great family man ! he will land !!!

1 combined title in almost 90 chances (what it actually is) since 1967 is even more pathetic. I wouldn't be shocked if it happened at some point in basketball (though it likely won't), but I'm willing to live with the very real possibility that it may never happen in my lifetime in football. It's depressing to think about, but the odds are not good.
maybe, but they are a lot better when you try hard, which is not where we have been.

Don't have all the inside details but I feel very confident saying this move had nothing to do with performance. New AD wants to surround himself with "his people", same as what coaches do. Doesn't have anything to do with loyalty or performance just the way it is in college athletics, much the same way it is in the corporate world as someone else mentioned.

Top Bottom