***PENN ST. POST-GAME THOUGHTS THREAD***

Two starting lineman out for a running team...disaster? Nah. Just next man up. On paper this shouldn't be happening. Was BBC our best DB? Pretty cool that the Gophers don't have to wait for good recruiting classes to compete. Good coaching and a bunch of guys "playing their tail ends off." Anyone having fun yet?

A bye week coming up is the absolute perfect thing right now, as high as were flying...you never want to get
too confident. A week to game plan for sconnie and to regroup the proper mentality that has gotten us
where we are right now.. works really well in our favor come Nov 23.

Plus it won't hurt if we're healthy and well rested.

I highly doubt we beat Wisconsin, but I think we have a shot against MSU. Whatever happens I've enjoyed this ride, love watching the team each week. It's amazing how far they've come.

Two weeks to rest and prepare for a game at home versus going on the road after what is going to be the biggest and most emotional game of the year? Nope, we have a good chance to beat the frickin *ssholes from Wisconsin and shut their drunken mouths.

Made a few costly mistakes today, but we continue to overcome them. The offsides penalty that negated a nice interception, and, of course, the roughing the punter penalty. Those penalties were like turnovers. Both Pedophile turnovers were gifts, we didn't really cause them. But, we did recover them.

For those of you at the game, you might have missed Claeys getting after the defense after stopping PS on 4th down in the 4th quarter. The sideline reporter said he was pretty animated in telling them not to taunt. This staff preaches KAWC. I love it!

I think one of the big things about today's game is that we didn't play our best game and we still won. Team doesn't rattle and stays focused. I give Kill all the credit for that.

We have yet to come close to our best game

...Was chastised early in Coach Kill's tenure for saying "in Kill We Trust!"

Vindication is sweet.

What a blast and "it ain't done yet!"

Go Gophers! Beat Bucky! In Kill We Trust!

Made a few costly mistakes today, but we continue to overcome them. The offsides penalty that negated a nice interception, and, of course, the roughing the punter penalty. Those penalties were like turnovers. Both Pedophile turnovers were gifts, we didn't really cause them. But, we did recover them.

For those of you at the game, you might have missed Claeys getting after the defense after stopping PS on 4th down in the 4th quarter. The sideline reporter said he was pretty animated in telling them not to taunt. This staff preaches KAWC. I love it!

It was an incredible play by Murray. But I'm not sure it happens without the offsides. It appeared that Penn St. knew they had a free play and they just threw it into the end zone because of it. I could be wrong though.

Agree with everything else.

We have yet to come close to our best game

? Nebraska, by far and away. We stuffed a dynamic offense and our offense put on a clinic all day. Obviously that means little heading into the WI and MSU games that feature different offenses and more stout Ds, but we looked so solid that game.

Oops?

I really hope that's an auto-correct issue...

*actually, i'm not sure that would make me feel any better

Check out punting stats

P. Mortell

total 4

yards 184

avg 46.0

TB 0

inside 20 3

LG 62
Did he have two downed on the 1-2 yard lines?

Mortell should be special teams player of the week.
I agree. And so does Ray Hitchcock. In the post game radio show he said Mortell was his player of the game for essentially winning the scoreless battle of field position in the second half.

It's almost weird, but isn't the special teams play the MVP today?

A bye week coming up is the absolute perfect thing right now, as high as were flying...you never want to get
too confident. A week to game plan for sconnie and to regroup the proper mentality that has gotten us
where we are right now.. works really well in our favor come Nov 23.

I was thinking about the bye week earlier today. Is it a good thing for a team which is as hot as a rocket right now? I didn't think so, but now, as I think about it, you might be right. The kids have a few days to enjoy this, get some rest, then get back at it. Maybe put in some wrinkles for Wisconsin and see what happens.

#1: What a fun year! I don't care what happens from here on out, I've had a great time following this team.
#2: It's weird to say, but our talent level is at a point where we are winning Big 10 games without playing perfectly. We played hard and well today, but far from perfect.
#3: I know people hate to read this, but this team is young.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but how much awesome was it that the announcers kept referring to our I formation as. Golden-I.

I'll answer that: such awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen this mentioned, but how much awesome was it that the announcers kept referring to our I formation as. Golden-I.

I'll answer that: such awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is why Mowins>>>Ward

Even Galloway started calling it the Golden-I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was thinking about the bye week earlier today. Is it a good thing for a team which is as hot as a rocket right now? I didn't think so, but now, as I think about it, you might be right. The kids have a few days to enjoy this, get some rest, then get back at it. Maybe put in some wrinkles for Wisconsin and see what happens.

Came out of our first bye week and rattled off 4 wins in games that each were considered "biggest game of the season". Can we come out of this bye week and repeat the success with 4 wins that are again the "biggest game of the season".

Yes I said 4:
Wisky
Mich St
B1G title game
Bowling

I won't mention the flower of that bowl game because I feel its bad luck but I hear it smells good. I know... I know. A LOT has to happen for us to make it to the B1G title game but how cool is it that we even have a chance at this point of the season? This has been a great season and a win over Becky can be the frosting on the cake no matter what else happens

I think the Michigan game was the real "tell" for this season. We played way, way better than the score against them and got absolutely no reward for the effort. The effort compared to Iowa was night and day. Now four weeks later, everything has turned around. But now we face the second & third best teams in the B1G and we find out if we can elevate to the next level.

I'm hoping so, but it just might require another year of recruiting and training camp. This will be the Kill Groups biggest challenge, maybe of all time. I am looking forward to see what they come up with for Wiskey's running game. Even more so, I am looking forwards to seeing the fifth week of the evolution of Limegrover's offense. We've gone from running off tackle and a few passes against a crummy non-conference schedule that worked to the sane thing against Iowa that didn't. We then went to a more open passing game and finally to a reasonably good passing game that led the first half against PSU.

We've got two weeks of Limegrover & Claeys in the kitchen cooking up the next course for our evil neighbors to the East. I for one am dying to see what they come up with.

'Gotta feel happy for the senior players on the team. This is truly a magical season for them and for all of Gopherdome.

I was concerned when they started burning a few red shirts. All along Coach Kill was setting the foundation brick by brick, and playing to win now. And it is working!

Now we know why he recruited so many kickers. You saw yesterday that the kickers and special teams rule the battle of field positions.

I like the way the Gophers recruit. The larder is being replenished, and we are a young team it is scary what the future holds. We have arrived at the door steps of where we want this program. I have to admit that I am surprised it is happening earlier than I expected. Give credit to the excellent coaches and the players.

'Gotta ask, was that locker room dance a version of the twerk with big brute guys? Tommy!

Loved to see the Gophers both get a little lucky (we're long overdue for a season where more breaks go our way than the opposition) and to see the team show a resiliency that is new to Gopher football. For so many years, once mistake could shift momentum against the Gophers and they could never get things back on track. That Donovahn Jones/Phil Nelson poor exchange fumble set up PSU in a great spot after the defense had just come up big. What happens? PSU comes away with no point and the Gophers maintain their 2 touchdown lead.

Loved seeing Claeys interview at half, where despite being up 24-10 and holding down Robinson, he focused on the poor run defense. It's not just a happy to be there, happy to be ahead type thing, which is refreshing.

Happy to see Logan Hutton come through with some great special teams plays and Mortell was excellent punting the football. Mike Henry continues to be an unsung hero on offense and he's surprisingly sure handed in the passing game.

The defense came up with big plays when it needed to, but it was a little concerning how over matched the front 7 looked when PSU decided to play big boy football. The Vereen/Murray CB tandem seemed excellent, though the Safeties missed a lot of tackles.

Offensively, things slowed down in the second half, but it's good to see Jones and Wolitarsky developing as the season has gone on. Jones looks so much more comfortable at WR than he did earlier in the season. Wolitarsky got deep early and should have drawn a PI flag. Cobb is looking like the best back since Gary Russell.

The game against Wisconsin is the biggest since Michigan in '03. It's going to be an extremely tough game to win, but it would be the type of victory that would make for a giant leap for the program.

#1: What a fun year! I don't care what happens from here on out, I've had a great time following this team.
#2: It's weird to say, but our talent level is at a point where we are winning Big 10 games without playing perfectly. We played hard and well today, but far from perfect.

+1 I have always been amazed how some people really hated it when Kill would say this. Age/experience is a SIGNIFICANT factor as to whether a team will be successful. On the other hand I shouldn't have been amazed since some of our fans have the patience of a two year old!:rolleyes:

+1 I have always been amazed how some people really hated it when Kill would say this. Age/experience is a SIGNIFICANT factor as to whether a team will be successful. On the other hand I shouldn't have been amazed since some of our fans have the understanding of the game of College Football of a two year old!:rolleyes:

FIFY Killjoy.

Young team but not inexperienced.

Happy to see Logan Hutton come through with some great special teams plays and Mortell was excellent punting the football. Mike Henry continues to be an unsung hero on offense and he's surprisingly sure handed in the passing game.

Who thought Logan was going to see so much action, let alone play so well? His blocking at WR has been a nice surprise.

Loved to see the Gophers both get a little lucky (we're long overdue for a season where more breaks go our way than the opposition) and to see the team show a resiliency that is new to Gopher football. For so many years, once mistake could shift momentum against the Gophers and they could never get things back on track. That Donovahn Jones/Phil Nelson poor exchange fumble set up PSU in a great spot after the defense had just come up big. What happens? PSU comes away with no point and the Gophers maintain their 2 touchdown lead.

What I realized during the game is the change in me and my expectations. Previous 3 games I was on pins and needles. Honestly, I kept expecting the worse. Not so much that we'd give the game away or not play hard, but that there would be one play where you'd think, "Here we go again." Being a Gopher fan for over 50 years will do that to a person. (Dropped snap against Wisconsin; missed field goal by Rhys at the end of an Iowa game; volleyballed interception against Northwestern; last minute scores by Michigan and Texas Tech, etc.)

However, against Penn State I don't think I've been less nervous since I'd be drunk for most games at Memorial Stadium in the 60's. Jones fumbles, interception called back, rough the punter, ball on our goal line: didn't matter, I was sure we'd still win. What a great way to watch a football game!

Who thought Logan was going to see so much action, let alone play so well? His blocking at WR has been a nice surprise.

That was a nice play by Hutton and also by the Long Snapper Filkins. Has Hutton been playing much besides special teams?

I thought the refs missed some key PI calls that should have been called against PSU in the first half.

It is great seeing how well the kids are executing (staying level headed) especially in key 3rd and 4th down situations. Really incredible actually

I think PSU might have had the best defense of the 4 teams the Gophers just faced. Not a great defense, but better than Northwestern, Nebraska, and IU (not saying much).

Top Bottom