Payne, Carrington, Ola-Joseph and Ihnen...

Apparently Carrington wants to meet with Minnesota coaches to discuss a return/staying with the Gophers.

Is this due to lack of interest from other programs?

My only issue with Carrington is whether or not he was a malcontent on the team this year. He obviously jumped ship twice this year. I know it was reported as a mental health issue the first time and I'm willing to respect that explanation but it was also reported at the time he was going to enter the portal. So hard to know exactly what happened at that time. Now testing the portal to see what might look better. I don't know how excited I would be to have him back.

Carrington has been a valuable player for us his first two years, and would likely only get better his next two years. He has been a sstaasrter for us, and could well be again. Mike Mitchell is not light years ahead of Carrington.

Unfortunately, Payne is gone.
I can wish can’t I? My therapist said just because I never got any Christmas presents when I was a child, I should still keep wishing!

With Ihnen, I'd be telling him that the need is at center. If he is willing to go in and bang, bulk up in the offseason and see what happens. Otherwise it is time to move on.
I know it’s unlikely, but my take on Carrington was it was a, “confidence in the decision issue.”

He can drive just fine physically. But there was always a slight hesitation. He can physically shoot, but there was always a slight hesitation.

The coach in me says that he has to know he’s good. Unfortunately, it is super hard to coach/correct.

If you unlock him, his eurostep, combined with his long gait, makes him potentially dangerous. It’s so hard to cage long-stepping runners. Think how Randy Moss would run at full speed past people, but still look like he was hardly trying (despite in an all out sprint).

Really don’t even know what this eval means. Just something is inside Ihnene and I hope for his sake it comes out somewhere.

Disagree. No way could Ihnnen play the 5. Impossible. In the era of the portal, what advantage is there to signing a 12th man project like Kristop Keynis who may not devleop, and if he does probably won't stick around? Ihnen gives you a sure thing that can play a few minutes in spot duty, as your 12th man. Not many teams get ANYTHING out of the 12th man on the bench. I think Ihnen adds a lot of value if he's content with that role.

I'd rather take what's behind door number two in that case. We know what Ihnen brings us.

Talk now of Carrington & Ihnen potentially returning. I'd take them both back in a heartbeat, under the right circumstances. Add Morgan today, convince Fox to come back for one more year, and cross our fingers Garcia & Christie return? Suddenly, and this is incredibly optimistic I'm aware, we could be better than last year.

Garcia
Morgan
Christie
Mitchell
Hawkins

Fox
Carrington
Asuma
Betts
Ihnen

That leaves two open spots:

Add a 6'7" portal wing who can defend.
Add a 6'9"+ Big man who can give us some back-up minutes
Would love to see Carrington come back, less enthusiastic about Ihnen. Carrington brings some nice defensive intensity to the game and there is still hope his offensive game could come around. Ihnen just doesn't bring much to the table at this point, not really sure what his role would be and if he does come back I hope it is in a deep bench role.

Talk now of Carrington & Ihnen potentially returning. I'd take them both back in a heartbeat, under the right circumstances. Add Morgan today, convince Fox to come back for one more year, and cross our fingers Garcia & Christie return? Suddenly, and this is incredibly optimistic I'm aware, we could be better than last year.

Garcia
Morgan
Christie
Mitchell
Hawkins

Fox
Carrington
Asuma
Betts
Ihnen

3 open spots

We need a starting big man who can defend in the post.

These decisions will tell a lot about team culture, and having any level of principles. Tell both to pound sand. If Carrington wasn't smart enough to understand his open market value might not be much, well......,take your medicine young man.

Would love to see Carrington come back, less enthusiastic about Ihnen. Carrington brings some nice defensive intensity to the game and there is still hope his offensive game could come around. Ihnen just doesn't bring much to the table at this point, not really sure what his role would be and if he does come back I hope it is in a deep bench role.

We need 12 scholarship players, and don't have a lot of NIL money to spend. My problem with Ihnen last season was that he was our 9th man, played in 28 games, and averaged 11.4 minutes a game. We need to upgrade.

Kris Keinys was our 12th man last season, played in 5 games, and averaged 4.2 minutes a game. If Ihnen accepted a role as our 12th man for next season, the end of our bench would be greatly upgraded.

Last edited:

I'm not going to fib here, I've had my own silly thoughts that Payne would want to return after a search for more. Go ahead, call me stupid.
I think we all hope that. I really liked all 3 sophs. I am a bit upset/disappointed.

I actually want Payne, Ola, and Carrington. I am way too loyal that way. Say sorry, make up, put in work, and I will gladly cheer just as loudly. Louder if that was the issue.

Although, that kid from Cornell look’s really good too.

3 open spots

We need a starting big man who can defend in the post.

For better, or worse, I think that'll be Morgan.

The two big glaring weaknesses on the team last year that needed to be addressed were having no PG who could defend bigger, stronger PG's, who were eating up Hawkins all season. Asuma is expected to help fill that role.

The other was we had no one who could defend 6'6"-6'7" wings. Those guys feasted on us. Christie was too weak, and lost. JoJ too slow footed, and lost. Carrington too small. Ihnen too slow & soft. Imo, CBJ will put an emphasis on finding a guy about that size who can defend.

With Ihnen, I'd be telling him that the need is at center. If he is willing to go in and bang, bulk up in the offseason and see what happens. Otherwise it is time to move on.
Hope they are both back for continuity's sake and that both get solid PT.

We all agree that if Carrington wants to come back, you make it happen for a guy who plays good defense and has a knack for rebounding. We have more than enough scholarships.

I wonder whether Carrington is okay with a limited role. Last year, he wasn't happy and got a ton of run for a guy who presented little offensive threat.

We need a wing to eat into his minutes and some of Mitchell's. If Carrington plays 20+ minutes again in 2024/2025, I don't think we will have the firepower at guard to get to the tourney (unless there's a massive unforeseen offensive improvement).

Garcia
Morgan
Christie
Mitchell
Hawkins

Fox
Carrington
Asuma
Betts
Ihnen

Anyone would be better than Ihnen.

Apparently Carrington wants to meet with Minnesota coaches to discuss a return/staying with the Gophers.
Perhaps cooler heads will prevail. Impulsivity is a hallmark of young men until that prefrontal cortex is done developing. If I met my 19 or 20 year old self today, I'd tell him I thought he was an idiot, but still pretty funny and not bad looking. :)

Perhaps cooler heads will prevail. Impulsivity is a hallmark of young men until that prefrontal cortex is done developing. If I met my 19 or 20 year old self today, I'd tell him I thought he was an idiot, but still pretty funny and not bad looking. :)
Thank you… there is no doubt that adults want to think that youth should act the way we do….. i know I have a 13 yr old granddaughter who thinks she’s 25! When I was 20 I left my local town ball team due to lack of playing time. Went to pastures that weren’t greener, and I also found out I wasnt as good as I thought I was. While it made no permanent impact on my life, I still regret it!

Can't say that I would be either. I definitely would rather see the guy from Cornell who is supposed to be interviewing here this week.
If he now realizes there is not much out there for him and wants to return, Ben is under no obligation to commit now to taking him. Best to let the portal play out and see what we can attract. BC has lost any standing to be first priority.

If he now realizes there is not much out there for him and wants to return, Ben is under no obligation to commit now to taking him. Best to let the portal play out and see what we can attract. BC has lost any standing to be first priority.
Agree that Ben should be under no obligation to take him back but chances are he would if Carrington really wants to come back. He recruited Carrington and has coached him for 2+ years. Plus that would mean one fewer spot to fill for next year. And while the unknown of the portal is exciting I am sure there is a real comfort in working with players you already have a relationship with and know what kind of person they are.

Agree that Ben should be under no obligation to take him back but chances are he would if Carrington really wants to come back. He recruited Carrington and has coached him for 2+ years. Plus that would mean one fewer spot to fill for next year. And while the unknown of the portal is exciting I am sure there is a real comfort in working with players you already have a relationship with and know what kind of person they are.
Don't disagree there are positives for having him back. Just saying if there are good conversations going with other good guards you have to let those play out. Having a real upgrade on the roster is job 1.

The other interesting thing with Carrington is that we are getting a visit from Isaiah Gray from Cornell. He plays 2/3. Would be a really nice addition. Hopefully if we allow Carrington to come back, we still would take Gray.

Carrington has zero leverage if Ben be playing hard ball.

I’d take the best players possible and if there’s room for Carrington, then okay.

Garcia
Morgan
Christie
Mitchell
Hawkins

Fox
Carrington
Asuma
Betts
Ihnen

Missing Groves, right?
Ihnen needs to move on.

Don't disagree there are positives for having him back. Just saying if there are good conversations going with other good guards you have to let those play out. Having a real upgrade on the roster is job 1.
Totally agree. Tough part with the portal is you have tons of teams all going after the same players so it is probably tough to know exactly where you stand with a lot of guys. Pay for Play money adds another wrinkle to that where you might think you are in great position with a player only to have someone swoop in with a better offer.

Thank the fans for what? Saying they suck in every post game thread? We can't bake our own cake and eat it too, no secret that players read these comments
LOL but seriously. Would they thank this board for all the good mud-slinging?

Even a guy like me who supported their development...I also said I'd never give even 1 cent to NIL.

The other interesting thing with Carrington is that we are getting a visit from Isaiah Gray from Cornell. He plays 2/3. Would be a really nice addition. Hopefully if we allow Carrington to come back, we still would take Gray.
This Gray isn’t long. Maybe a touch taller than Mitchell.

We all agree that if Carrington wants to come back, you make it happen for a guy who plays good defense and has a knack for rebounding. We have more than enough scholarships.

I wonder whether Carrington is okay with a limited role. Last year, he wasn't happy and got a ton of run for a guy who presented little offensive threat.

We need a wing to eat into his minutes and some of Mitchell's. If Carrington plays 20+ minutes again in 2024/2025, I don't think we will have the firepower at guard to get to the tourney (unless there's a massive unforeseen offensive improvement).
Something you maybe think about. However, only if you truly believe if he can accept his role, as well as accepting and making changes based on the coaching he receives.

Totally agree. Tough part with the portal is you have tons of teams all going after the same players so it is probably tough to know exactly where you stand with a lot of guys. Pay for Play money adds another wrinkle to that where you might think you are in great position with a player only to have someone swoop in with a better offer.
All true but it comes to a close on a date certain, with the possible exception of some grad transfers. Guys who have left and entered the portal need to wait until the end to be invited back unless at some earlier point staff concludes they have no chance for upgrades.

Top Bottom