Payne, Carrington, Ola-Joseph and Ihnen...

cheeseheadgophfan

Reaction score
I see a lot (if not most) players when they leave a school post something thanking the fans, coaches, etc. and then announcing their decision to enter the portal (it seems so contradictory but whatever).....unless i'm missing something, none of the Gophers players that entered the portal have done that? Anyone else find it interesting that they didn't? May reenforce some of the chatter on here that there were in fact issues behind the scenes....just a thought.

I see a lot (if not most) players when they leave a school post something thanking the fans, coaches, etc. and then announcing their decision to enter the portal (it seems so contradictory but whatever).....unless i'm missing something, none of the Gophers players that entered the portal have done that? Anyone else find it interesting that they didn't? May reenforce some of the chatter on here that there were in fact issues behind the scenes....just a thought.
I wondered about that as well. I would hope that they will thank Gopher fans and coaches when they select a final destination...I assumed that they were reserving that in case they ended up coming back.

Those statements always ring so hollow but it is a little odd that none of them have done the goodbye post on social media (or if they have it has not been posted on the site).

Not sure what if anything it means but it shows how common those things have become since it seems odd not to see them.

put me in the camp that thinks those statements come off as a face-saving measure. it's like every one is written from the same template. "loved my time at School X; great fans; great coaches; great teammates. I will never forget any of you. But, after lots of time praying and discussing it with my family, I have decided to enter my name into the portal........."

at this point, ChatGPT could crank out one of those in a heartbeat.

Hey, if a player wants to explain their reasons for leaving, that is certainly their right. I would just prefer something a little more individual. But if a player does not see the need to explain, that is their right also.

Neither seems too active, but Payne and Carrington both still have their commitments pinned to the top of their twitter accounts. JOJ has reposted tweets about him transferring.

put me in the camp that thinks those statements come off as a face-saving measure. it's like every one is written from the same template. "loved my time at School X; great fans; great coaches; great teammates. I will never forget any of you. But, after lots of time praying and discussing it with my family, I have decided to enter my name into the portal........."

at this point, ChatGPT could crank out one of those in a heartbeat.

Hey, if a player wants to explain their reasons for leaving, that is certainly their right. I would just prefer something a little more individual. But if a player does not see the need to explain, that is their right also.
1A0B1C80-8E1A-471A-B286-4F9EECAD134F.jpeg

Carrington and JOJ probably going to lower-tier schools, though JOJ has some real potential that was untapped by our coaching staff. Payne will go to a strong school but he better choose wisely.

Carrington and JOJ probably going to lower-tier schools, though JOJ has some real potential that was untapped by our coaching staff. Payne will go to a strong school but he better choose wisely.
He also has to be willing to listen to the coaches about what he needs to work on to get better. Pouting because you don’t like the feedback you are getting about turnovers and defense is not going to get you on the floor.

He also has to be willing to listen to the coaches about what he needs to work on to get better. Pouting because you don’t like the feedback you are getting about turnovers and defense is not going to get you on the floor.
You know this first hand that Payne wasn't accepting coaching- or are we talking sour grapes here?

That would be a good thing! We need guys that will defend.

Ihnen may also want to meet with them for the same. Would have to be with the understanding he would be 11th/12th man. Will be interesting to see how that convo goes - if it happens

Ihnen may also want to meet with them for the same. Would have to be with the understanding he would be 11th/12th man. Will be interesting to see how that convo goes - if it happens
With Ihnen, I'd be telling him that the need is at center. If he is willing to go in and bang, bulk up in the offseason and see what happens. Otherwise it is time to move on.

That would be a good thing! We need guys that will defend.

Talk now of Carrington & Ihnen potentially returning. I'd take them both back in a heartbeat, under the right circumstances. Add Morgan today, convince Fox to come back for one more year, and cross our fingers Garcia & Christie return? Suddenly, and this is incredibly optimistic I'm aware, we could be better than last year.

Garcia
Morgan
Christie
Mitchell
Hawkins

Fox
Carrington
Asuma
Betts
Ihnen

That leaves two open spots:

Add a 6'7" portal wing who can defend.
Add a 6'9"+ Big man who can give us some back-up minutes

Apparently Carrington wants to meet with Minnesota coaches to discuss a return/staying with the Gophers.
There is a place for him in a D1 program. Maybe not as a starter, but a defensive stopper and rebounder. But I still want Payne back! 🤞🤞🤞

With Ihnen, I'd be telling him that the need is at center. If he is willing to go in and bang, bulk up in the offseason and see what happens. Otherwise it is time to move on.

Disagree. No way could Ihnnen play the 5. Impossible. In the era of the portal, what advantage is there to signing a 12th man project like Kristop Keynis who may not devleop, and if he does probably won't stick around? Ihnen gives you a sure thing that can play a few minutes in spot duty, as your 12th man. Not many teams get ANYTHING out of the 12th man on the bench. I think Ihnen adds a lot of value if he's content with that role.

There is a place for him in a D1 program. Maybe not as a starter, but a defensive stopper and rebounder. But I still want Payne back! 🤞🤞🤞

Carrington has been a valuable player for us his first two years, and would likely only get better his next two years. He has been a starter for us, and could well be again. Mike Mitchell is not light years ahead of Carrington. Or, what if Christie leaves for the NBA? There's also the year after, when Mitchell will be gone, and Christie will almost certainly be gone. It'd be nice to have a tough, defensive minded veteran guard.

Unfortunately, Payne is gone.

Top Bottom